Author Topic: Theres A Story To Read When Playing Through Op2?  (Read 5203 times)

Offline Drako

Theres A Story To Read When Playing Through Op2?
« on: June 05, 2005, 12:57:11 AM »
This is the question im wondering if other people would ask when visiting this thread. Did you know that there is a story that you can read, at the start, and then after every mission? Did you know that there is a different story for both campaigns? You know whats really sad is, that for 4(?) years i'v played this game, and i've actually new the story was there, i just didnt bother to read it because its freakin long. If you havent read it i highly suggest you go through the game and read it piece by piece. I feel very sorry for myself not reading it when i was first enjoying this experence long ago, it would of added so much to excitement =\. In some ways it brought alot of those old feelings back reading that story. Not sure about any of you guys but op2 was actually the first strategy game i actually got to play. It was my first experence in that kind of game. I can still remember all of that excitement from watching things doing things. Id build something and set there and watch it in ah, and humilty. God man i sure wish i could go back to that first experence, and go through it all over again =\.  

But anyhow ya did anyone not read the story yet? I dont recommend reading the hole thing all together, its really better to read through it mission by mission. If you havent read it, and you love this game, MY GOD, read it please.  :blush:  

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 01:39:30 PM »
yeah the story is great, i havent read it in years tho.

playing the campaign and reading the story is real good, it makes it realy fun and enjoyable, it makes you wanna do the missions so you can read the next chapter, the playing is only half the fun :)

ive never totaly finished both campaigns tho :P

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 03:01:48 PM »
Lol, me neither. Even on easy, I never took the time to finish the campaigns (not like the campaigns are that hard, which they aren't, just never had the ambition to finish them, lol)

The story really is good though. The man who wrote it (J. Steven York) visited here a while ago and sent us an email.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 03:31:25 PM »
we also have tons of fan made storys, some of wich arnt half bad lol

you should check some of them out
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline zanco

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 11:40:04 PM »
The story really owns. It really adds a lot to playing campaign. I was amazed by the story, by this great plot, by this great delight you can get just from reading it. It amazed me so much that when I finished playing the campaign, I printed the whole stories  out :D .

I also suggest people to read the Outpost2.hlp file. It has lots of goodies  and "Tails of Terra" in it (really good short stories related to each unit or structure ). It's also a must. Sure it looks like a lot of reading, but it's really entertaining.
 :op2: rocks!
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 06:45:58 AM »
whel up to like 4 months ago i didnt even know that there was a story. but i am just to bussy doing things like playing other ussless games or op2 that i never read it and i never will though i do think it is a good story ... io am just to lazy

becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline spirit1flyer

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 01:42:54 PM »
I am still stuck on one of the levels higher up I am playing it on hard so to be a better player. someday I will be able to read the rest of it  ;)  
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline lordly_dragon

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 07:20:58 PM »
key at hard is to slow down the speed of game

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline spirit1flyer

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 09:50:21 AM »
hmm thanks for the tip  :)  
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Admiral S3

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 10:22:04 PM »
Yeah deffinatly, Hard when playing the campaign gets to be damn near impossible unless you slow it down so you can deal with all the inbound badies, blight and disasters with out over loading your self.

However having read both stories some years ago, I can deffinatly say that the stories all well worth playing the campaign games to read. Someone put alot of thought and effort into the series when they created the game.
Deep beneath the planets surface ancient power systems spool up. Long forgotten, the citzens of the venerated Âlpha Ðefense League begin to wake from thier long sleep.

At long last the Admiral has returned.

Offline instigator

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 03:10:23 PM »
However having read both stories some years ago, I can deffinatly say that the stories all well worth playing the campaign games to read. Someone put alot of thought and effort into the series when they created the game.
Yeah I agree. When I started playing op2 I couldn't wait to read the next chapter so it made me all the more resolved to get through those levels.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 03:11:17 PM by instigator »

Offline gamerscd0

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 07:48:28 AM »
i never even read the story untill i was done lol :P  

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 08:17:58 AM »
It realy is worth reading!

btw can anyone copy and paste http://www.outpostuniverse.net/op2txt/ onto the wiki?

Offline DragonLord

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 05:10:57 AM »
more than half the times I play the game is because I want to reread the story :)

btw. about the copy of the story on the site: isn't the plymouth part missing? I want to read them both at the same time.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2005, 09:05:13 AM »
Right, just the Eden story is on the site.

Offline zanco

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2005, 11:13:27 AM »
I could help with giving the Plymouth one.
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2005, 11:18:10 AM »
Good. Put it up on the wiki.

Offline DragonLord

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2005, 09:06:52 PM »
sunday or Monday I'll put up the rest of the story

Offline DragonLord

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2005, 12:52:00 PM »
Well... Zanco was faster :D, I added a page about the story with a listing of chapters (yeah the categorie works good though except that it mangles the order)
I'll add the tales maybe tomorrow.

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 09:00:48 AM »
did you know that when you install the game, there are a couple of links added in the outpost2 folder in the start menu that link to word docs of the two novellas? ^_^
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!