Author Topic: Inactive Users?  (Read 6805 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Inactive Users?
« on: June 04, 2005, 03:16:48 AM »
The board says that there are nearly 300 registered users, however, I see only a handfull of people that are actually active.

Is there a way to send a notification e-mail about happenings on the boards/community with a message that says something like:

========================================
Hi! You haven't been around in awhile and we were wondering what's up and how life's been?

We wanted to let you know about recent happenings at OPU blah blah blah

We are clearing our database of inactive users and would like to invite you to become an active member of the community! Please visit this link

www.somelink.com

Hope to see you online soon!
========================================

And then have the link determine who's clicked on the link and who hasn't. After a certain number of days all users who haven't logged in will be cleared from the database.

I was just thinking about that and was hoping that maybe we could get a better idea has to how many people we really have here and see if we can get the bustling community that I've been longing for.

:op2: Leeor Dicker

Offline Leviathan

Inactive Users?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 06:37:30 AM »
Well i think we should probly remove some more old accounts.

And yea, its time for another newsletter.

Offline Jake

Inactive Users?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 02:06:03 AM »
How do you determine who is inactive or not?  I rarely if ever post but it doesn't make me inactive.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Inactive Users?
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 02:22:54 AM »
We determine how active a person is by how recently seen them on IRC.  Its not hard to be active just stop by once in a while or stay and idle while your on line or play a game and leave.  thats all you really have to do to be seen as active.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Inactive Users?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 10:57:38 AM »
Or even by posting on the forums regularly. Make your existence known.

Offline thablkpanda

Inactive Users?
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 08:33:00 AM »
Ya those guys are right, again. I hardly ever post on the forums, but I'm in IRC whenever it's humanely possible. Also, Seeing as I'll be getting my new laptop soon, I'll be more active since my lil' sis won't be hoggin my freakin computer (claiming that hers doesen't work, or is too slow.. It's a freakin P4, @ 3.0 GHz, 1 gig of ram, and completely unnecessary stuff that she never uses, but forbids me (on the pain of death) to remove from her room, or even TOUCH for that matter. :)

Whenever I ramble unnecessarily like that, holla @ me.

Pandas

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Inactive Users?
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 06:17:53 AM »
Whereas deleting 0-posts accounts under certain circumstances seems quite reasonable to me I don't see a point in deleting accounts which have been used but are inactive atm. Its not like these accounts cause any problems, is it? If its only to get a more realistic statistic, make a seperate one.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Inactive Users?
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 07:07:10 AM »
Yeah, I don't think we need to delete any accounts that have had posts made on them. It's more or less to get a more realistic count of how many people are actually using the forums.

The old accounts aren't hurting anything, they take up at most a few KB of storage (that's including the profile, PM's for that user, etc).

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Inactive Users?
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 03:31:20 PM »
I'm not worried about how much space accounts take up or whatnot. It's just that there are nearly 300 users 'registered' with OPU but I really don't see much in terms of posting activity. Of course, seeing as posting isn't necissarily what makes a community active (views to  posts are also a sign of activity), it's just nice to know who pops in periodically or who registered to gain access to something and that was it.

I'm sure somewhere with this board there's a way to determine when people last logged on or visited. I'm sure that someone who hasn't shown up in 2 years is someone who either may need a reminder that we're here (they may have forgotten the URL, it happens to me all the time!) or they're no longer interested, which is fine too.

I'm just interested to know about how many active users we have.

:op2: Leeor

Offline <emp>(elementals)Eric

Inactive Users?
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 01:27:55 PM »
personally... i like the idea that if someone doesn't log on once in 2 years... they should be put on a "Who knows" list. A year after a known log on is inactive... 2 is saying that they don't care or like leeor_net posted

"either may need a reminder that we're here (they may have forgotten the URL, it happens to me all the time!) or they're no longer interested, which is fine too."

After three years... its safe to throw in the towel and remove them... but thats just me
I live in my own little world where don't push me or i'll shove you is the only rule!

Offline zigzagjoe

Inactive Users?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 08:58:52 PM »
i would't remove users.....that 'unregistered' usually means they've done somehtign bad...maybe move them into a inactive group?

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Inactive Users?
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 10:59:20 PM »
Well, whatever works. I guess 0-post users could get the remindermessage or whatnot. Heh, it was just a thought.

Offline zigzagjoe

Inactive Users?
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 09:10:31 AM »
For 0 post users I would send a mail after 1 month, and if they don't respond then give them the boot.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Inactive Users?
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 04:29:37 PM »
I agree. Heh... :)

Of course, it's up to you guys. I just had the thought.

Offline selfdestruct

Inactive Users?
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 01:11:43 AM »
if they had 0 posts or was never active then they should be deleted but only if they were never seen like mabe 2 years at least, but thats a hard choice , it depends
OUTPOST OBSESSION IS CONTAGIOUS

Offline <emp>(elementals)Eric

Inactive Users?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005, 02:34:52 AM »
People sometimes like recognition and don't really care about the forums and are on once a month for mIRC or something, they would put up nonsensical posts to fulfil the 1 post requirement, and to solve that rules whould change into a post a month, people would get annoyied with that and post every month to shut it up, yada yada. Forum activity does not depict activity, if they only like the forum, than you know they are there by the posts. If they only use mIRC, the OPU team will have to check their "MILE" long log books and scroll all the way through or use the !SEEN Nick comand.... The forums may help stimulate activity, but the forum is the input from the fans, not the life force... Im bored and i rant when im bored.... Like i said before 2 years and more should be the "Who Knows?" list 1 year -2 years is inactive 1 months- 1 year is semi active and now till 1 months is active, that seems like a good rating plan
I live in my own little world where don't push me or i'll shove you is the only rule!

Offline lordly_dragon

Inactive Users?
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2005, 07:45:35 AM »
i hope one month of inactivity dont put me on the black list  :blush:

to continue the subject your not alone with that problem but i would say 6 month of inactivity could be a fair amout of time prior of any action

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Inactive Users?
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2005, 11:22:38 AM »
Well, it was just a suggestion...  <_<

Anyway, the powers that be are the ones who make the decisions, I guess. But a lot of good points were brought up. Not everybody likes to work with forums and not everybody likes to work with IRC so it's an interesting balancing act.  :D

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Inactive Users?
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005, 12:20:09 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't want to delete any accounts without at least trying to make an attempt to contact the user, to tell them that they're inactive.

However, as for zero post accounts that have been dormant forever, they might as well be deleted, because guests have read access to all the areas of the forum that regular members do. If you come to just read posts, there's no reason to have an account, since no one will really be aware of it's existence. (Well, I guess there *is* the PM system they could be using, but if you spend enough time here to write PMs you'll probably be posting as well).

People who don't bother to post don't really need an account (as far as I can see). What do you guys think?

Offline Leviathan

Inactive Users?
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2005, 12:56:44 PM »
I think some accounts are geting the chop ;)

Offline zigzagjoe

Inactive Users?
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2005, 01:16:20 PM »
i agree as well. 0 posts i would give them the chop no warning etc. not worth the time to warn if they arn't active, havn't posted, and are essentaily empty.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Inactive Users?
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2005, 03:10:25 PM »
Yea, there is no reason why 0-posts accounts shouldn't be deleted.

accounts with more than 0 posts in comparison should not be deleted so quickly.
Especially useres who have been VERY active once (ie. more than 100 posts or so) should be kept. They might have a good reason to stay away from the forums (ie. no internet etc.) and might come back.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Inactive Users?
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2005, 02:00:54 AM »
Inactive users that havent been on in some time reguardless if they have posts or not should be contacted in some way or fashion and remind that we are alive and they can have some fun with us on IRC when there not to bussy.  If you dont get a responce (a email, IM, or them showing up on the fourm or IRC) them delete them.  300 people on the forum and about 20 or 30 that show on irc.  It would help if more can be transfered over to the IRC part.

Offline zigzagjoe

Inactive Users?
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2005, 08:48:20 AM »
i think ppls that have more than a few posts should not be deleted, period. when i see unregistered it allways makes me think they've done somehting bad, and they havn't, they are just inactive.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 08:48:45 AM by zigzagjoe »

Offline lordly_dragon

Inactive Users?
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2005, 07:34:58 PM »
for my part i agree about the 0 post thing but i still wonder why they are setting an account for nothing (thumbsdown)  

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.