Author Topic: Going Inactive  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Sl0vi

Going Inactive
« on: May 10, 2005, 06:29:07 PM »
well.... It seems that outpost has an insane bandwidth usage while playing multiplayer. And since I only got semi-flatrate and that bandwidth costs a bunch around here, I gotta quit playing online.

Apparently I used 1.5 GB of bandwidth while playing at the reunion, and I only got 2 GB :P The only game I played online during that period was OP2, and today I used 100 mb playing a few games of OP2, and the only thing I have done on my comp all day is play OP2... (Not even Valve has managed to achieve that with CS)

Anyway, it was nice getting whooped in this game, but unfortunately it is not for people with limited bandwidth like me. So I'm moving to the inactive list. :'(  
!!!YAY!!!

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Going Inactive
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 06:46:35 PM »
I have transferred your name on the gamers list to the inactive column.

It's sad to not be able to play with you anymore :(
You'll still stick around with the community, just not play right? I hope you stay around somewhat.

Maybe sometime I or someone else will come up with something for compressing the data link between games of OP2. There is a lot of wasted space in a packet. (In fact, the protocol uses 32 bits for something that only takes 4 bits, which is transmitting the player ID. Checksum is 32 bits too, we could get away with even a 1 bit parity checksum I'd think).

Hopefully you'll be able to play again someday. :)

Offline Leviathan

Going Inactive
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 07:37:57 PM »
bandwidth limit? ouch

Offline bouzip

Going Inactive
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 05:07:40 AM »
bandwidth lmit sucks, hope you can play with us soon again -_-
Anime is something really nice in this world

Offline Leviathan

Going Inactive
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 06:42:09 AM »
Where you live then and what type of connection you got if u have a limit ?

Offline Sl0vi

Going Inactive
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 12:37:06 PM »
Hmm... this is really weird... because I checked my usage with my ISP today... and apparently it's alot smaller then what I thought it was.

Well... for some reason my 1.5 GB usage, apparently only was 600 mb for this month... has something to do with upload/download counting.

This is a bit weird.... but it's good for me, because it means that perhaps this isn't the end of my OP2 playing :D

How ever OP2 bandwidth usage is still pretty large.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Phantom

Going Inactive
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 02:55:24 PM »
That's good news.

Which ISP do you have?
Crappy Avatar by me. lol
My website: EQT RPG

Here comes the Thnikkaman!!!

"Bringing the metal back to where it belongs!" - Limozeen

Offline Leviathan

Going Inactive
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 03:23:14 PM »
I new someone in Iceland who had a 10GB limit a month.

Offline Sl0vi

Going Inactive
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 04:10:27 PM »
the best limit we get here at this time is 3 GB, with unlimited bandwidth at night. But I can't afford that one yet :P Maybe this summer :D

The whole internet problem is because of some issues on the market, about some smaller telecom providers struggling to get on the market, when there before only was one provider for all telecom. So since there only was one before, it has the entire market, so in order to help the smaller companies, the big one got a bunch of restrictions. So until the smaller ones get strong enough to not be crushed by the big one, these restrictions are hurting prices and also prevent them from providing flatrate. (They did offer it at start)

So there, the reason why internet users are screwed around here. But they say it is gonna get better... lol!
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Leviathan

Going Inactive
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 06:10:13 AM »
Ah harshness, yeah. Where are you ??

Least you got unlimited at night for your downloading needs, and OP2 if you up to play then. What do they class as night? 12-6 ?

Offline Sl0vi

Going Inactive
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 03:45:30 PM »
no.. I don't have unlimited yet, I have to upgrade to that connection :P

night time is classed as 0:00-8:00

Anyway there was something messed up about my bandwidth usage... I thought it was weird it said I had used 1.5 GB over one weekend, when I only was playing OP2.  
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Leviathan

Going Inactive
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 11:07:43 AM »
I just checked out your location on google. Seams like a big place but bandwidth limit sucks.