Author Topic: Winter tileset  (Read 3043 times)

Offline neutrino

Winter tileset
« on: March 23, 2005, 11:17:00 AM »
I'd like to know if it would be possible to make a new tileset, enabling snow and ice. Neo Terra probably has cold regions where snow falls, since the planet has an Iced Canopee. Also, volcanos lead to make a lot of dust and cender. If the job requires only graphic editing, I'm ready to work on the graphics.

This would be a really nice addition to the game. It does not change the game, but is a gift for the eyes, as we can now play on new grounds.

Offline Leviathan

Winter tileset
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 11:24:45 AM »
Editing the graphics has been looked at. And im sure is one of the hardest area's of Outpost 2 programing. Cynex made a Outpost 2 art viewer but left before giving us the souce code :(

The graphics in Outpost 2 are pritty messed up. I would love to be able to do this and have thoght about it before. Also it was in the original game plans of Outpost 1 to have more than one planet type.

I know Hooman and hacker have done some work since. And anyway, I cant answer your question :) Someone explain the grapics a little please.  

Offline neutrino

Winter tileset
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 11:31:27 AM »
Yes I'd like to know how I can explore the graphics of OP2. I found "Ressource Hacker", but it seems graphics are compressed inside the dlls. How do you modify parameters inside op2 ? Thanks.

Offline Leviathan

Winter tileset
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 11:34:49 AM »
There is a lot to programing and editing Outpost 2. I hope you will explore the possiblitys and get into programing, and helping us out. Come to #Outpost2.Coding ;)

The graphics are in OP2_ART.bmp i think.. not dlls. But I cant help ya :P  
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 11:35:03 AM by Leviathan »

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Winter tileset
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 12:05:09 PM »
All gaming graphics, including GUI background images are stored in one large file called OP2_ART.BMP. To this date, we don't know exactly how to access those images inside OP2_ART.BMP, but i know op2hacker and hooman are (or have been) working on it. I, myself might also start on it, given the time, and whatever is known now...

After we've figured out how it works, the simplest way (not the easiest) is to extract ALL images to separate BMPs, and then also create a tool to re-compile them back into OP2_ART.BMP. This way any artist can edit the images one by one. I believe OP2_ART.BMP contains hundreds of images, so i'd reserve some time for that if i were you !
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Leviathan

Winter tileset
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 12:15:40 PM »
the op2 skin/gui is in a dll, along with other op2 stuff such as misions bref pictures.
im sure u would like 2 c my op2 skin edit :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 12:16:02 PM by Leviathan »

Offline neutrino

Winter tileset
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 05:59:15 PM »
can I see ? :)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Winter tileset
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 06:21:58 PM »
It'd be very easy to make a new tile set if you had the skill. I've already extracted all tile set graphics to regular windows bitmap files. I've also figured out a large portion of the unit graphics file. I don't know what all of it means, but I know enough to display all the images (well, I'm not too certain about the bitdepth for any given one, but that's easy enough to get right when you need it). I also figured out enough of the details to get the animation sequences grouped together. I don't have display code for the animations though.

Anyways, I'll post details soon. I'll probably just put up the windows bitmap files for people who want to toy with the tilesets. I'll see about posting the file formats for the two graphics formats, but I'd like to spend a little more time on the .prt file first. The tileset format maybe I'll just post, but then, Outpost 2 can read regular bitmap files for the tile sets. You don't need to convert them back to the special format for Outpost 2 to use them.

Offline Leviathan

Winter tileset
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 04:34:07 PM »
Neutrino would you be willing to convert a current winter tile set from another game (like TA winter tile sets..) to OP2 once you know how to?

Ive been working on one..

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Winter tileset
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 04:49:54 PM »
Hey cool.. would be VERY nice to have the game select a set from a BMP file! ( i think that can be done in a DLL - but requires some nasty op2.exe-hacks  :blink: )
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 04:50:25 PM by Eddy-B »
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Winter tileset
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 05:21:21 PM »
Maps can be designed to use different tilesets without any hacks. Trying to get existing maps to use a different tileset upon request would be a cheap hack however. Anyways, I've got a some test samples where a new map uses a new tileset. It worked just fine in OP2. Although, there is some data you really want filled in that I currently don't provide editing for in the editor backend. Hacker's been after me to get that done.  :P