Author Topic: Website FAQ  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Leviathan

Website FAQ
« on: April 08, 2005, 08:33:40 PM »
Id like to have a FAQ for the website, so post questions and answers please. Stuff like:
WON is down so where do I go to play Outpost 2 with others ?
On our Internet Relay Chat channel, it is #Outpost2 on the QuakeNet IRC network. More information go here.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Website FAQ
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 01:52:49 PM »
Here's one I've heard from time to time:

If the game is no longer supported by Sierra, why do you still pother with it?
We do not need Sierra aroud to make updates for the game, which have been done a few times already.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Tellaris

Website FAQ
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 07:23:36 PM »
Technical Questions[/i]

1. Will/When there ever be a lobby for Outpost 2 other then IRC?
Its planned.   It will not happen for some time however.

2. When will the Editor be out?
When OPU|Hacker finishes it, possibly before 2006.   But I wouldn't hold my breath.   In the meantime, use the OP2Mapper for now, available http://www.outpostuniverse.net/dltools.php

3. How do you make changes or edit the game?
There are many ways of doing this, it does require programming knowledge.   More details can be given by the Outpost2 community and lead programmers, OPU|Hooman and OPU|Hacker.   Look for them on IRC or PM them on the forums.

4. What do you need to edit the game/make maps?
For maps:   The mapper, link is above.
For general game changes, we use a hex editor. *Note, this is VERY BAD to try if you don't know what you are doing!   Don't try it!
For the sheets.vol, they only need to be extracted to be edited.   You can view them using the sheets viewer.   They can be edited by Notepad.
]http://www.outpostuniverse.net/dltools.php

5. How do I extract Outpost 2 .vol files?
Use the Revolver, provided on the tools page.
*Note, it will only check for files on C:\ drive, so you might have to move things around.   Another version is planned that will fix this problem.

6. What will the new mapper do?
As far as I've been told, it will not only just create new maps, it will allow for basic .dll programming.   This means that the layman here can make a fairly good Outpost2 map without having to learn how to program.   Its capacities will of course be limited, but it will be expanded over time.

-Thats all I can think of atm.

EDIT (leeor_net): fixing broken links and marking others as unreachable.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 11:24:33 PM by Arklon »
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Website FAQ
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 09:53:53 PM »
CLM is short for "Clump".  :D  

Offline Mez

Website FAQ
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 04:08:23 PM »
1) where can i get op1 from and how do i use it?
See Outpost-universe website:
http://www.outpost2.net/outpost1.html

EDIT (leeor_net): fixing broken links
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:35:24 PM by leeor_net »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Website FAQ
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 07:54:29 PM »
Multiplayer:

Q. I have a router and have forwarded all the ports, and I can join fine. However, I get a "Player replication list failed" error when I try to host a game. What do I do?
A. You need to get the latest version of OP2 and use the natfix utility that comes with it.
Go to the Outpost 2 game folder and run natfix.exe. It will ask you for your external IP. Enter it in and press the Apply button to save the settings. If your external IP is dynamic you'll need to use this tool to update it or people will not be able to see your hosted games. If you aren't hosting a game, or don't have a router you should run this utility and remove the patch before playing. Only hosts behind routers need to have it active.

Q. When joining someone else's game, I can see their game in the list, but when I try to connect to it, the connect either fails or I ping out frequently. What's the problem?
A. If you have a personal firewall in use, make sure it is configured properly to allow Outpost2.exe to send and receive UDP data on ports 47776 thru 47807. However, some firewalls still cause connection problems when you do this. In those cases you may need to temporarily disable the firewall for the duration of the game.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 08:21:15 PM by op2hacker »

Offline zhukant

Website FAQ
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 09:36:29 PM »
Technical Questions[/i]

Its planned.   It will not happen for some time however.

Why do you need a new lobby? That one seemed fine last I was there.
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline Leviathan

Website FAQ
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 11:15:38 AM »
The answer is no. We will allways use IRC protocal for chating and meeting to play.  

Offline zhukant

Website FAQ
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 05:31:01 PM »
That's what I thought. It didn't seem like the OP2 folks that I know to continue relocating everything.
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could