Poll

Should we merge?

Yes
16 (64%)
No
9 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: OPU / UEGO Merger  (Read 8596 times)

Offline Leviathan

OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2005, 08:19:32 PM »
I just couldnt let it go Kosh. I wanted to help out your community... and ours :)

Together we are stronger!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2005, 08:32:01 PM »
lol, kosh, yes those were the forums.  You can be quite a scary person when mad...ever think about becoming a drill sergant?

I vote yes
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2005, 08:32:12 PM »
OK, I came here, because I like Outpost, not because I like to talk about every s*** thats on the planet.

would it be so hard to leave the two forums just seperate? why hasn't anyone already suggested to merge with some other forums? Whats the use of it? we can as well put links somewhere and it'll have the same effect, but not pollute this holy place with non-outpost stuff.

I don't want a general gaming board, I hate them. I hate all modern games like shooters etc.

Offline EmperorKosh

OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2005, 08:42:34 PM »
That's most unfortunate TH300. Well if you don't want to talk about games other than Outpost 2, then we're not going to stop you or try to change your mind. You're free to do what you want.

As for leaving the forums seperate, that's rather pointless. Linking them won't do jack, because it's not like anyone is going to want to sign up with dual accounts or anything like that. Leviathan already PM-ed me telling me that Op2Hacker could combine the PHP database of the UEGO forums with those of OPU's. So I'm failing to see the problem.

And to CK9's last comment; no I don't want to be a drill-sargent, but I do want to try boxing. Heh heh...  B)  
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 08:43:12 PM by EmperorKosh »
Live free or die...[/b][/i]

Offline Leviathan

OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2005, 08:47:07 PM »
I don't want a general gaming board, I hate them. I hate all modern games like shooters etc.
I agree. I only play Outpost 2. But if were to expand to include genral topics they can all be in one section. Meaning you can stay away from them easyly. This is the OPU board, not anyone elses. So main page will allways have OPU stuff etc. IBP is great tho, UEGO section can have there whole range of sections, so it can be used as there members main page.

Also we want to keep the stuff seprate to not offend people like you and I who just care about OP2.

Offline Drakmar

OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2005, 08:48:03 PM »
I believe we should stay separate. If we merge and OPU falls, the entire Outpost Universe will fall with it. However, if we stay separate, if one falls, the other can still survive. That is the smae idea that Eden and Plymouth had, and they were able to survive their mistakes because of it.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2005, 08:53:47 PM »
if OPU falls, it will be much like the fall of NHCS, someone will make a forum and we'll l pull together.  The important thing is to keep the occurences to the community in mind
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Leviathan

OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2005, 10:25:04 AM »
OPU fill not fail or fall, wtf! We have been going since last June.

About the other game sections, these would be part of UEGO's section of forums. But because they are on our forums anyone can post in them.

The focus of these forums will allways be Outpost series games and our community. UEGO forums will just be like having there forums hosted with us.

If you have comments or suggestions about New Forum sections please post in that thread.

Anyone else to comment on possible merger situation?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2005, 03:44:17 PM »
Remember that if UEGO merged and they fell apart it wouldn't take them down with us. we are hosting them, they aren't hosting us remember. And no we don't plan on integrating the admin/staff teams at all. (in other words, their policies are how they like, ours are the way we like)

Offline RipperKhan

• http://newvitech.com
OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2005, 04:35:25 PM »
Hi every one, most ppl know me, i been around since kevins forums, and been on and off the scene a few times. I have been busy with trying to start a gaming network, this will be the sec 1 i have started the first wasnt a complete failer. I hopeing this 1 will take off real good, as for the merger I  am ok with it but for the forums being as 1 im not sure as it would mean combineing db and users and what not to much work to be done and we have serperate admins 2 so I think there should be a alternate way of doing this. for the idea  forums being linked to one another sounds great to me, as if any 1 has been to uego i have a netwrok page setup its inactive but i would a have a comperhensive page setup with all the sites that are with uego, if u have been to like ign and seen how they have content setup for example like a  game they actually have it setup like a mini site with all the rescourses like the forums and what not linked in it, we could have something like that setup on the main site besides a forums thing on ours linked to yuors, and we can have it setup to have both users db be linked so that u wouldnt have to be rereg and that wouldnt be to hard im sure we can have somethigng setup for that. but thats how i feel about it, I do hope this works out really great, and i see no point in it not doing so

Offline Leviathan

OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2005, 04:40:47 PM »
Allrite.. if your confused about forum merging, we can import the topic's easly. Also it should be possible to import user accounts, just gotta edit the member ID's so its ok and works.
If members cant be imported, re-regestering aint too much hassle as you aint got too many members. and the work which has to be done, well most will be done by me and hacker so dont worry about that.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2005, 05:36:37 PM »
well... if we still had separate forums we couldn't rly link the databases. there'd still be separate databases and in effect, separate forums.

if they were merged though everything would be the same forum so same users DB etc.

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2005, 11:47:51 PM »
I'm up for the merg as well. Lots of my buddies would love to chat in these forums if only it wasn't all OP2.
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline RipperKhan

OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2005, 01:21:22 AM »
well as for merging the forusm togehter as 1 im not ot fund of but we can merge the dbs and share 1 :P im sure that could be easy as i know howw to setup sql to load a db from a differnt host :P

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2005, 08:16:09 AM »
Yeah but the software can only read one DB. It'd have to be either all or nothing (either copy all your data into our DB or just would need links/redirs to link the 2 forums that way, not a real "merger" of the boards just links between them)

Offline Zircon

OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2005, 09:01:57 AM »
Some new blood could probably serve to revitalize this place and create some interesting topics.

Otherwise the exchange of host/owner will become something of a routine merely to spark some life into the place :rolleyes:

Offline RipperKhan

OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2005, 12:19:38 PM »
i gues u didnt understand what i said again.... *_* merge the dbs make 1 and both the softwares are linked to that single db got it? i know that is possible.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 12:19:57 PM by RipperKhan »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2005, 12:57:25 PM »
Oh that... well you *could* do it but you'd have some sync problems.

Not all the software settings are stored in the DB, some are in the conf_global.php and it's physically impossible to share that file without using one copy of the software.

As well as skins, they are loaded into the DB and written into PHP files in the folders so there would be massive sync problems between the two sites there.

So yeah you'd almost have to go with one forum and merge both into it (you couldn't rly run two copies of the software using one DB).

Offline Leviathan

OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2005, 01:00:42 PM »
The posts can be easyly imported. ther in a table_ or somthing file.

Anyone got any more suggestions about the possible merger??

We wont be merging the forums into one now, the forums will stay seprate.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 04:58:22 AM by Leviathan »

Offline zhukant

OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2005, 11:16:29 PM »
Wait... why not? Is it because you have second thoughts and trouble with software, or are the uego members disagreeing?  
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline Leviathan

OPU / UEGO Merger
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2005, 11:13:02 AM »
Reason we didnt put forums together is because sections cant be created in sub sections in IPB, so we couldnt put there forum in a sub section of ours.

We merged a few weeks ago, were now part of UEGO. Topic closed.