Author Topic: OP2 Training  (Read 3586 times)

Offline threepointone

OP2 Training
« on: April 03, 2005, 07:05:58 PM »
anyone have any good ideas on how to train noobs with op2? a few of my friends have agrreed to try op2, but they just... suck... even after the tutorials and all.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 07:47:35 PM by Leviathan »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
OP2 Training
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 08:33:35 PM »
practice makes perfact

just let them play around with it for a bit before you send your 80 tigers at them lol

oh wait thats what I would do lol

Im evil

but no, just tell them to read the online manuel and get to know what each building does

and also tell them that if the computer says that their coloney is starving, than its time to build more agradomes
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Leviathan

OP2 Training
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 08:48:57 PM »
Your gonna wanna try a standard map setup, Pie Chart has it.
Do High Resources, Steady Morale, No DayNight or Disasters.

The best way to get used to playing is by using the SAME build order each time, use this one:

1. University
2. Vech. Fac.
3. Advanced Lab
4. Common Ore Smelter
5. Tokamok
6. Common Ore Smelter
7. Vech. Fac.
8. Nursery
10. Robot Command Center
11. Agridome

For researsh:

1. Metalogeny (Standard Lab)
2. Hypnopedia (Standard Lab)
3. Focused Microwave Projection (Standard Lab)
4. Mobile Weapons Platform (Advanced Lab)
5. High Temperature Superconductivity (Advanced Lab) & Dissipating Adhesives (Standard Lab)
6. Scout-class Drive Train Refit (Standard Lab) & Independent Turret Power Systems (Advanced Lab)
7. Rare Ore Processing (Advanced Lab) & Advanced Vehicle Power Plant (Standard Lab)
8. Advanced Combat Chassis (Advanced Lab)
9. Electromagnetic Pulsing (Advanced Lab) & Multiple Mine Projectile System (Standard Lab)
10. Rocket Propulsion (Advanced Lab)
11. Long Range Projectile System (Advanced Lab)
12. Grenade Loading Mechanism (Advanced Lab)

Play on a low speed, 5 or 6 to start off with.

You can see how I play with a video of me playing, found here.

I suggest you try and get your friends on IRC, and come on your self when evea online. If they can play online when your not around there be able to play more etc.

Good luck, keep at it. More players the better.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 08:52:41 PM by Leviathan »

Offline Shuffles

OP2 Training
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 10:30:07 PM »
I advise playing the campaign on easy mode.  Its basically a step by step approach through the whole process of building up a colony.  It covers attacking too.  After that they should practice multiplayer.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 10:30:26 PM by Shuffles »

Offline Tellaris

OP2 Training
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 10:58:39 PM »
I agree with Shuffles here, but it can be a little frusterating.   Might wanna guide them through some of it...
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
OP2 Training
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 04:43:08 AM »
The best way to learn Outpost 2 is to play against a human opponent. AI is simply too stupid.

Using myself as an example here, when I first came online, I was about the average noob. I played eden in no marks, sent single laser vs base defenses, had 1 vec fac which steadily produced in long mark games etc (ooh, this was way back lol). Anyways, what happened is that I met another player(or might have been that person who took contact with me) who acted as my mentor until I could beat most people on WON, at that time the person real identity was revealed and we continued to play until we were some of the best people around.

So here's my logic: Even though theres not enough players around for everyone to get a mentor, Leviathan still hangs around enough so he can sorta act like 1. What I did(with help of mentor) was to play no mark games over, and over and over. First I needed to be told what to build and when, but slowly I managed to put of some defense, then deflect first attack wave and so forth..

As for the mentors part, the clue is to slowly put on some more pressure, bringing in tougher tactics..etc. (Lev, not bash them right out with those micro rushes of yours ;) )

Hope you can get some help/input from these posts.

Just remember, some people don't really understand how to play strategic games like Outpost 2, and these you can't really help :P
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Leviathan

OP2 Training
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 06:42:49 AM »
People who dont understand how to play right away can be taught.

Anyway, once you have learn the basic build order and researsh order if i can watch you play ill do my best to help you out and give you tips. Im on IRC a lot and glad to help out new players.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
OP2 Training
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 10:16:11 AM »
Its always a good idea to start with single player.It helps understand the game and get a feeling for it. The ai is stupid, but thats what u need in order to get used to research order etc. without having to worry about attacks all time.
If people know the basics, multi might be a good idea. At least they won't ever get the idea, that one smelter and one mine is enough.
Learning the research and build-order isn't as easy as Leviathan would like it to be and I won't be surprised if it takes ppl long to learn. But practise makes perfect (I had to play lots of games until I was actually good enough to beat some of the better players; took me 1-2 years (with pauses)).

One thing that could be useful is a newb-training-mission, where the basics of the game are better explained than in the tutorials and which teachs pepole straight how to play multi.