Author Topic: Where do YOU want Renegades to go ?  (Read 4237 times)

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Where do YOU want Renegades to go ?
« on: March 26, 2005, 04:41:41 PM »
My Outpost : Renegades has been classified here as a community project. This is of course because many people are participating; a programmer (me), one graphics artist (Haxtor - but i need more), a mapper (TH300), novellist (LoneWolf did the first couple, but he's not responding anymore, so i'm looking for replacement - Baikon has applied) and a handful of beta-testers (all the above + leviathan, op2hacker, mezza, PlayingOP & Invictus)

Of course there's been a lot of help on the coding side from Hacker & Hooman. Also Leviathan has been helping out on some other issues.

Now, i'm turning to the rest of "the community":  I've got plans for the first 4 missions worked out, but after that it's still a grey area, so to speak...
Let's hear it from you. I'm not looking for a whole storyline, just some things that you'd like to see (I'LL decide wether it can be done or not). Below is a basic outline of what we have now:

Because of some disagreements with the Plymouth leaders a group of "rebel" people broke away from the main colony. They're on the run from the main Plymouth forces, trying to stay one step ahead, but they will have to face them some day. Then on the other hand, there's Eden. So far, there has been some fighting between the renegades and Eden, but there might be room for reconcilement (is that word correct?). The first 2 steps (taking place in missions 3 & 4) is to build up forces fast and do a lot of reseach to keep up with main Plymouth colony. Technology could also be stolen from the others - just what works best i guess.

Now what happens in the next 4 missions is still a mystory to me AND you guys - but i'd like to fill in the gaps. Just let me know what you think could be fun. Be aware: because of the splitting away, the renegades have only just figured out how rare metals can be used for building/research.. I want some things left to research in the final 4 missions!
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Nightmare24148

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 09:38:39 AM »
Ill think of something but ATM Im playing thru the campaign and am saving those pcitures in the Mission Breifing screen so maybe you can use them later.

^_^
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 09:57:59 AM »
Do you have any plans where it will end up? Destroying a Eden or Plymoth main base maybe?

I think they should still have to be on the run for a while. There could be one mision where u have to travel far, once in previous missions you have build up your forces.

The Renegades find a suitable location for their main colony base and head for it...

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 01:46:24 PM »
Nightmare no need 2 save the pics ... we already have them all extracted.

They are resource bitmaps in op2shres.dll.

I think a cool idea also would be having a couple of missions as world maps, maybe where there is a developing enemy force who comes after you and you are forced to go thru disaster prone areas to get out, etc.

I'm not a good map idea person, lol as you can see.

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 02:35:21 PM »
world map would have been cool - but it kinda takes away the effect of moving around new terra over the coarse of 12 levels, since worldmap wraps around and so in effect representing the whole world of new Terra...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 02:35:51 PM by Eddy-B »
--------------------

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 03:18:41 PM »
maybe a 256*256 map?

argh, that would take me reeaal long. But it would be great. I'm sure, I'll find time to do such map, just not very soon.

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 07:03:47 AM »
question:
why "renegades"?

i guess its not really a question about where you wanna go with it but still, i'm curious is all.

oh while i'm posting, in terms of art and image design.
i'm busy between now and the 20th may (the day of my final exam of this year) but check out this collage-background i made couple days back (was bored of my old background) and email me if my drawing style appeals to you.
or if you use DA then send me a note that way. (my DA account is linked to in my sig).

linking...
please stand by...
link established. have a nice day!
http://www.deviantart.com/view/16678292/
shutting down systems.
*blip*
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 12:36:18 PM by Ezekel »
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 07:15:33 AM »
btw Forbidden error on your image, copy the url into a brower and it works.

For world map or a large map, maybe for the last mission it could be real long, and on a large map. I think world map is over the top ;p

Offline Shuffles

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 03:18:20 PM »
I have a big 256x256 map which I made. It coudl be used in renegades.  Its pretty much all new terrain.  Also a map of that size can be sliced up for use of the smaller pieces.  Let me know If you want to see it Eddy.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 09:54:56 PM by Shuffles »

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 12:38:27 PM »
Do you have any plans where it will end up? Destroying a Eden or Plymoth main base maybe?
That could be a nice thing to do - close to the end (which is presumably mis12), you'll need a lot of research still to gain an advantage over the main forces before the renegades can launcg an attack on their former leader (or on eden main forces).

The other thing i was thinking about just now, is maybe i can start on an Eden campaign pretty soon, and have you finish Plymouth AND Eden mission 4, before you can advance to missions 5 of each, and then have them work together - i mean my code makes it possible to use maps in both campaigns; with debris left behind by an Eden mission, and use that same map later in a Plymotuh mission, making a sort of co-op dual campaign. This MIGHT even make it possible to play these campaign as a 2-person co-op  B) one player plays the Eden missions, while the other plays the Plymouth missions.... who knows  :)

Anyway - that's why i have this thread open: for sugguestions!  i can absolutely promise you guys: if i get 0x64 (=100 for "normal" people) suggestions, i cannot use all of them, maybe just about 0x0F or so of those can actually be accomplished..

--------------------

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 12:43:25 PM »
I think they should be two standard single player campaings, but i do like the idea of multithreaded, so you can go either way.

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 08:33:28 AM »
mew, hum are we talking fo a possible 2-player on one map campaign? (possibly with forced allying between them)
as in a try 2 player coop campaign?
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 09:49:20 AM »
2-6 Player co-op's maps are possible, yes.

I think Renegades should stay as single player, or at least for the Plymouth campagin.

Im not too sure where it will go right now as its bit early.. but I do think a genral mission plan should be though out.

It should end up with attacking the Plymouth main base i think.

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 10:13:09 AM »
what i referred to is 2 campaigns: an eden and plymouth one, and then having the 2 campaigns influence eacht other. The eden campaign can use junk left behnd by the plymth player or vice versa..  It's not possible to actually have them work together at the same time, this being single-player missions
--------------------

Offline TH300

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 10:16:11 AM »
It should end up with attacking the Plymouth main base i think.
Should it really?

Their aim is to escape from the planet, isn't it? (lol, maybe we can even make them find a way to stop the blight) ... if they are to leave the planet, they will go the way with best chances for success. The question is if it is clever to attack the main plymouth base which might be well defended, because this base knows that they are gonna be attacked. Same argument might speak against attacking the eden base.
Its not yet possible to say whether the eden or plymouth base is the best target. Thats why we should make it so that the player can decide which base to attack. (assumed that they are going to attack one at all)

Building another starship would be an alternative solution, but since this is already the end of the standard campaign, it might not be the most interesting one.

Offline Tellaris

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 01:58:18 PM »
Not possible either.   If you follow the orriginal campaign, New Terra dOES NOT have enough resources left to support TWO starship programs.   Plymouth's Starship is far behind.   Plymouth has Gene Bank.   Eden is about ready to leave.   How are they gonna escape in such a situation?   They'd have to raid Plymouth, then somehow steal Eden's Starship before Plymouth does. (they do this in Plym Campaign).   Perhaps they could use the Plymouth starship, working with the remains of Eden after the genocidal efforts of the Masters. (this'd be after Plym leaves)  As I recall, the plymouth starship is massivley far behind Eden's in BOTH campaigns.   If you make this at least fit in with the original campaigns at least SLIGHTLY, you have to follow this stuff to some degree.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 01:59:03 PM by Baikon »
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline TH300

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 02:08:45 PM »
New Terra not providing enough ore for several starships is just ridiculous. Its the original story, ok. But have you ever counted the ore thats needed for combat vecs? It exceeds the cost for a single starship by far. if these guys where just a bit reasonable, they'd not fight each other, but build enough starships to evacuate all colonists.
Nevertheless, taking the plymouth-starship could also be a neat solution.

Btw: the stop-the-blight-ending would still fit.

Offline Eddy-B

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2005, 02:40:03 PM »
lol - we've been discussing it in IRC the past 30 mins, and it seems we came up with a solution ! More later
--------------------