Author Topic: How should IRC be run?  (Read 4367 times)

Offline Leviathan

How should IRC be run?
« on: March 24, 2005, 08:54:13 AM »
Info on IRC can be found here: outpostuniverse.net/irc.htm

Well some people are anoyed at how IRC is run sometimes. Like Dennis, he has often been kicked from the main channel for spaming. The current people with the power are the OPU team members, partly because they are the most active memebrs.

So how do you think it should be run??

What do you think about spam? (Rember we have #Outpost2.Lobby where you can do what you like)

What restrictions should there be or not be?

Please tell how we can have the best, most friendly IRC channels.

IRC is for chating, chilling. helping each other out but most importiantly: gaming :D  

Offline Cctoide

• http://hosted.xfir.net/cctoide/e107
How should IRC be run?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 09:07:54 AM »
There are multiple things I think are wrong about IRC as it is now:

1. Too much channels. Well, not really, but they're badly organized. We currently have #outpost2, where all the newbies end up. Then #outpost2.tutor, where people go to know it's moved to #outpost2.coding, it just serves to confuse... Then we have #outpost2.noob, of which I am the owner and I must confess it is useless.

2. Some things are taken too lightly and other things are taken too heavily. Hacker keeps lecturing people about spam. For him 5 lines of talk that may even be useful are "spam". It should be taken more lightly.

3. We keep getting newbies there with the same darn question: problems with the router. The site and guide Levi authored are good but not enough, as they may not be the answer to the specific problem they are experiencing. A wizard troubleshooter, a la Microsoft Help Center, where you can choose what's affecting you and get a step by step solution, would be more adequate.

4. The main channel should not be only for OP2. It should at least allow for people to socialize a little. People who just want to game should go to some place like #outpost2.scheduling or something (useful especially for hardcore players).

5. I don't think what we did to xfir was fair, or even necessary; however, we do have to make  sure that we don't fall prey to what happened to him, which is adequately explained on the now defunct op.xfir.net URL. It was exactly what happened with Killa when I wasn't around, only on a smaller scale.

6. Even so, we were lucky that Hacker and the other programmers stayed on our side, seeing as how only they can sort out the inner details of OP2, and hopefully, 3.

7. We shouldn't take too much on at the same time, even because at this point the community was greatly stirred and we are still very vulnerable. Everyone should do his or her job and not lose their heads at eachother, or all we've been doing so far might be lost.

8. We should also reconsider OP3. I don't mean the individual programmers who are doing the game on their own, but the ones on the OPU team should think about it: are we going to concentrate on producing a potentially better, new Outpost game? Or should we stick with the one we are trying to revive, OP2?

9. Currently these forums are very disorganized. We have boards created freely for too many OP3 freelance games which are probably dead by now, and the boards serve no practical purpose. The best way to solve this would be to make a sub-forum for fan-made OP3 sequels and group the less-active ones as subforums, or archive the ones that are definitely dead.

10. We should have people that are capable of teaching newbies on #outpost2. It's no good sending them there to see them ask if anyone is there, only to never return. I can't do much in those respects. We might need more "teachers", or just warn them about who can teach them instead of sending them out there, into untamed lands.

Phew... that's all for now.  :o  
The Resident Newbie
OPUcomic, drawn by Cctoide

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
How should IRC be run?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 09:11:34 AM »
i sow you said harcore player....... havned seen one never i think op2 chat chanel you should just chil and play not get to manychanels
and sinds we are a small comunity where everybody knows everybody we should take the things said in there a little lighter
becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
How should IRC be run?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 09:16:06 AM »
Cctoide is right about the OP3 thing. As much as I enjoy artistic freedom, having all the current OP3 developers working on 1 game would speed up the process and hopefully give much greater results.  
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline Leviathan

How should IRC be run?
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 09:16:34 AM »
Good points, tho not all about IRC :P I agree with the forum stuff and what not. And the geting online guide im sure can use improvment, i did update btw.

Currently gaming for newbs aint to friendly simpley because they cant look at a guide and learn to play with say anoter newb. I hope to fix this by adding the help section to the site. I need help for this like all parts of the website, but it seams most members dont care.. otherwise they would have posted in website suggestion thread.

Anyway, we need to be like WON and not like WON. We need to be better than it was. But improtiantly we need the freedom of WON, or at least how it was when I playeyed there. There were no admins so simpley no restrains.

#Outpost2 will allways be the main channel so should be for everything. Gaming and chat can conflict with each other, some ppl are there to chat, other to play op2 and talk op2.  

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
How should IRC be run?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 09:24:43 AM »
spam shouldn't have a place in the #Outpost2 channel.

it is really annoying.
I don't mind people talking about other stuff (except other games, they could make us loose our identity) unless it turns into spam.

spam is bad. it consumes too much time, to read trough spam, trying to distinguish it from non-spam. Its same as with email spam.

As for the irc channels: they're needed, especially when its getting full and people want to talk aout 3 different things at one time.
#Outpost2.coding is quite useful, because coding chat can be really spammy.
#Outpost2.lobby is always good for posting things that would be considered as spam (ie. computer statistics etc)
#Outpost2.tutor is no longer used
#Outpost2.noob is probably a good place where noobs can go in order to not fill the main channel with questions. Sad that its currently not used.

Offline Leviathan

How should IRC be run?
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 09:28:53 AM »
Noob channel is currently not used. I hope to turn it into the home for noobs. Need lots of content for noobs on the website. Also its a good place where people like my self can help out newbs. Cctoide made this channel because he wants it to be a place for newbs, makes perfect sence.

I want #Outpost2 to be able to go on with people chating etc while other channels can be used for additional things.

Coding is very important channel for coding matters, the development team and help etc, .Tutor was turned into .Coding

Offline `Dennis`

How should IRC be run?
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 10:53:46 AM »
levi you should make it so if someone joins for first time make the bot  auto place them in n00b and the bot will give them choices if they have a router or need help.

Offline Leviathan

How should IRC be run?
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 10:56:43 AM »
In the script update it joins all of our channels.

Newbes should know where to look on our site and from there they can get the router setup info link and info.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
How should IRC be run?
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 03:41:21 PM »
I agree with the wizard idea. I had mentioned such an idea to lev briefly, where the user puts in answers to questions and then we can make the tutorial more thorough / brief based on how much computer knowledge they have.
Also it could be tailored to their situation more.

#Outpost2 should be able to be used for socializing, and has been. as long as it's real talking and not just spamming or flooding or having useless arguments in there there's no problem with it.

talking about other games - well I don't feel it's right to kick or ban anyone because they talked about a different game, but it should be discouraged. the channel *Is* about Outpost 2 and not other games.

We probably should have helpers etc who will teach people how to play, etc. We should update the site a lot though so people can get *some* help from there.

Also the way in which we act on irc should be better. not like behaviorally, but have more people on more often. Many times I've seen a noob come in (I've been afk) say something like "is ANYONE HERE?!?!?" over and over. then they get discouraged and leave not to be seen again.

if someone is able to respond to them as soon as they get in the room, 1) it would cut down on the flooding by them repeating something in caps 20 times, 2) they wouldnt be discouraged.

Offline <emp>(elementals)Eric

How should IRC be run?
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 06:08:03 PM »
maybe changing the bots welcome msg to have, "If nobody greats you, everybody might currently be in a game at the moment. Please wait a few minutes." would b a good thing. it would help new users understand that if nobody answers there are many reasons for it and still feel welcome
I live in my own little world where don't push me or i'll shove you is the only rule!

Offline plymoth45

How should IRC be run?
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 06:10:45 PM »
And also, loosen up with the "No bot policy." Sometimes i connect to qnet now under a bot and i don't want to be booted for one of those days we are goofing off.

Offline Leviathan

How should IRC be run?
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 06:13:52 PM »
I say we allow no more than two clients from one person.

Its not a no bot policy, its a no spamy scripts and stuff like that policy.

Connect to the channel how you like.