Author Topic: Who wants to be a forum GM?  (Read 8680 times)

Offline Leviathan

Who wants to be a forum GM?
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005, 05:22:12 PM »
When thinking about new GMs and who should be a GM and who not I only realy want to give it to active posters, people who allready help out here, etc.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2005, 05:24:08 PM »
People who will be EFFECTIVE gm's.

If you participate a lot but most of that participation is spam we probably wont consider you.

People who have the time to do this. We'll probably give a chunk of the forums to each moderator, and they focus mainly on that, but if they see a problem somewhere else they can deal with the problem even if it's not their "territory".

Offline mustang09-06

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2005, 09:42:23 PM »
y do would u want to post a topic like this? If I were you I would find out how many Gm's would be required to keep the forum at a democratic level and then go and use process of elimination on the members list. Pm them and tell them that you would like them to be a GM so there is no fighting and comotion about who gets picked and who doesn't. Most of all though there wouldn't be any self-nominations and begging from the memebers to be a GM.  (If you do ur homework then u will pick good members to be GMs)

Offline Mez

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 05:37:21 AM »
^ sounds like the best way. This thread shud prolly have been about nominating other people (i.e. not ur self) to be a gm

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2005, 07:34:50 AM »
We just want to see who's all interested.

What we'll probably then do, is pick a few who we think would be the best, and either make them GM's, or if we have a hard time deciding, we'll open it to community poll as to who should be a GM.

But yeah it *should* probably have been nominating other people to be GM, not yourself.

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2005, 08:34:43 AM »
Well, too late now =P

Offline Cctoide

• http://hosted.xfir.net/cctoide/e107
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2005, 08:35:41 AM »
Not really. Just start another thread, and use the elimination system referred before.
The Resident Newbie
OPUcomic, drawn by Cctoide

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2005, 11:07:34 AM »
You could start a poll with the people who have expressed a want to be a mod that you think would do the most for the community.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline mustang09-06

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2005, 07:10:06 AM »
Better yet why don't the Admins select a panel of members to judge who gets placed on the "ballot/poll" based on things like their activity on the forum, (posts, IRC, and etc.) the quality of their activity, (No :spam:) and commitment to stay with the forum no matter what. (GM's r no good if their never around)  Then place all those names on the ballot and have a limited amount of candidates that could be selected by a voter.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2005, 10:17:52 AM »
Well, I know it is possible to have multiple-selection enabled on a poll, but I don't think they have that option enabled here...
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2005, 10:25:21 AM »
No there is no option for multiple selection, at least not on an IPB.

If we have to we'd run a separate poll on the site with php files or something, so people could elect 3 people or whatnot.

we still don't know how we're gonna do it yet, tho.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2005, 06:12:03 PM »
I think CK9 and Betaray are good GMs so were keep them. Thanks for there help over the years here also.

As for new ones I only think we need one more for now, and I say Mez.

Its not that other people would not be suitable its just we dont need that many GMs, so giving it to lots of people would defeate the object.

So CK9, Betaray, Leviathan, op2hacker, Mezza.

Offline xamlit

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2005, 11:25:17 PM »
Cool.... But one thing you must realize is that Mezza is a friend of Lev's so that just electing 1 more GM isn't really that fair IMO. Two at least. and the next person is someone who wasn't aware of the forum switch and have no relations with it...

So..... I nominated Mezza and now I am nominating Mustang.. Obviously even though he passionatly disagrees with the decision made to switch over the forum, he has stuck around and decided to help us out.

Hey Lev, Hacker, you gotta level out the GM board. I mean cmon... Didn't you see this coming ;-).  

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2005, 12:37:44 AM »
No there is no option for multiple selection, at least not on an IPB.

are you sure about that, hacker?  http://s4.invisionfree.com/Myst5/index.php?

we have multi-select polls there, and it is the same system
CK9 in outpost

Offline mustang09-06

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2005, 07:42:23 AM »
Now wait. What's going to happen to all the old GM's? (like gpgarrettboast)  Are they still going to be GMs even with all this reelecting going on?  BTW Op2hacker and Lev, Have you two come up with an idea of how GMs are going to be elected?

I think CK9 and Betaray are good GMs so were keep them. Thanks for there help over the years here also.

As for new ones I only think we need one more for now, and I say Mez.

Its not that other people would not be suitable its just we dont need that many GMs, so giving it to lots of people would defeate the object.

So CK9, Betaray, Leviathan, op2hacker, Mezza.

This doesn't sound like a majority rules kinda thing. It sounds more like favorites to me. (Just my opinion)  My only advice for this kind of selection is make sure you do your homework on the people you give the title GM.

THANKS XAMLIT!!!! That means alot to me. :)  It's still the OPU forums even w/o xfir in charge so I'm just being a loyal member.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2005, 07:50:08 AM »
Correction: gpgarrettboast was never a GM, he is just a moderator for his own stuff (OP3)

Who we'd pick would have to be someone who:
1. is active in the community.
2. whose posting on the forums is meaningful and quality (in other words not spam)
3. have been with us for a while and are up to date on things, know what's been going on over the last few months
4. who we believe would be an effective, trusted GM.

Those people above we believe match these criteria.
If you have other people to suggest or nominate who you believe match that, please do so here.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2005, 07:52:32 AM »
just making Mez GM isn't very democratic (unless its the result of a public election).

but in general I could agree with Mez or Mustang or xamlit being GM.
And don't make more GMs than needed. Not even to be fair or something.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2005, 08:06:13 AM »
I personaly only think Mez should be added as GM, were still post a vote.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2005, 08:15:45 AM »
Alright the vote has been posted.

Global Moderator Election