Poll

Do you agree with the decision of hacker and lev?

Yes, it was needed
5 (16.7%)
Yes, but they should have found a way to consult all of us first
2 (6.7%)
I'm not sure
6 (20%)
Not really
4 (13.3%)
Not at all
10 (33.3%)
I plead the fifth
3 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: The question that's probably on quite  (Read 11598 times)

Offline Phantom

The question that's probably on quite
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2005, 07:11:20 PM »
Another thing he did which is wrong is the deletion of users with invalid e-mail accounts, even some who used the forums and were active.
One such person I can think of is Phantom. His account was deleted manually by xfir (there is no auto delete system) because his email bounced when the forum tried to send to him.
The only reasons I can think of deleting users is if they sign up, never post at all, and are never seen again. Phantom did not fall into this category at all.
First: It makes me feel great to be remembered after being gone almost a year.  :)

Secondly: My email account was high-school based (And was still accessable for my first year of college). However it got deactivated, and therefore I got deleated.

However, I went on a hiatus about the same time as I was deleated and did not notice. I did try to come back however last winter, but the forums were closed, and there was no link provided at the time to the new forums. After going to op.xfir.net and seeing his message, I found the link to the new forums.

[Rant]
My veiw on the subject (if you care): In my opininon, if xfir wanted to close the forums, he should have at least given us the option of running them in a different location.

Who the forums belong to: from what I understand, invision power board 1.3 was free (According to Leviathan).
If that is true, then the people who can claim any rights to the opu are the ones that code it. Therefore, whoever coded for the forum, has the right to copy it.

Since hacker and levi didn't hijack the server, (I do not know if they had a hand in coding the opu forums). And only moved the board. It isn't theft (since xfir took the forums offline anyways).

The only way any of this would be wrong is if xfir had copyrighted his board and the content on it (ex. posts, topics, pics, etc.) which I do not remember if he did that.

The point is, the board is here, it is exactly the same for the most part, and the community followed (A good number of them anyway).

We are here for one main reason, to discuss and play outpost 2. There is no point in arguing the subject anymore because it is irrelevant to playing outpost2. I'm greatful that we have the forums at all!

The only disagreement I have with lev and hacker is that it probably would have been a better idea to start from scratch if only for the reason to avoid future arguments.

My point is people,wining and complain all day about "he/she" did "this/that" doesn't help anybody. The only one who has any right to complain is Xfir.

Its time to move on people, sure we dissagree on what happened, and Im not saying to forget about it, but I think it is time to give it a rest.

People come here to play op2, not to watch people argue about it forever, and it will turn off potential members I can guarentee it.

I suggest leaving if it is that big of a deal to you. Cause what are we going to do about it? Take down the forums? I think not.[/Rant]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 07:14:34 PM by Phantom »
Crappy Avatar by me. lol
My website: EQT RPG

Here comes the Thnikkaman!!!

"Bringing the metal back to where it belongs!" - Limozeen

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2005, 09:38:59 PM »
if would not have been a better idea to start from scratch, y throw away the posts which have taken so long to build up!

thx 4 ur views..

Offline Phantom

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2005, 11:23:49 PM »
Well, I didn't mean everything. I assume that the posts are kept in text files or whatnot. So without copying the board exactly, wouldn't it have been possible to keep the posts and just have a different look for the forums?
Crappy Avatar by me. lol

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2005, 07:11:23 AM »
a different look? what? a different forum software? or do u mean look as in what this forum looks like? it looks like the skin u pick.

it uses a database, not a load of txt files..

we copyed the database over.

we had ibp b4, we still have it, just upgraded.

Offline Phantom

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2005, 08:30:07 AM »
OIC, nevermind, It was better that you guys copied the forum db over rather than lose everything.  
Crappy Avatar by me. lol

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2005, 09:50:27 AM »
yep

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2005, 07:49:34 AM »
I don't agree with it mainly because I view it as stealing.  What would you do if one of the top executives walked into his job at the bank, stole the database and moved it elsewhere. Without permission...  Idk, my 2 cents...

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2005, 11:44:27 AM »
k i didnt have time and didnt want to read everything that is done and said but can we plz close this topic ... what done is done  
becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2005, 07:03:54 AM »
Do you really want to suppress the voices of the forum?  Don't you want to maintain freedom of speech?  We're not violating the TOS, so what's the problem?  It's good to discuss it so people can get their opinions out.  If we have no opinions, we have no individuality.

Offline zigzagjoe

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2005, 08:41:55 AM »
Really i hate to say this, but things seem to be degrading rather quickly under Lev and Hacker. Evidence: 1.3.3

"From this point forward I wish to have public votes for major decisions that affect the community, so the people have their interests at hand and not the interests of one leader who doesn't even support the community."-op2hacker

Bulls***.

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2005, 09:04:40 AM »
you can give your opinion i have nothing against it (whel acualy i dont but its a long story but i bealeve nobody has a real opinion) bu tthats not the point... we all know what levi and hacker did wasnt the best... but ... we just know and i just keep getting irratated by this form from ppl telling it AGAIN and AGAIN ....  
becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline zhukant

« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2005, 12:57:05 AM »
Besides, we've been in this xfir-less mode for so long that going back would be even more disturbing than leaving was. I think we've pretty much settled into outpost-universe, and settlen this debate, too.

--
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2005, 10:37:07 PM »
Yes, the debate has been settled, so why don't we just drop the subject, lock this thread, and move on with life, what is done is done and CAN NOT be fixed.

Offline zhukant

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2005, 01:56:10 AM »
Yes, please. That would be good.
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline zigzagjoe

« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2005, 08:25:04 AM »
it's been dropped for a while. notice the post dates.