Poll

Do you agree with the decision of hacker and lev?

Yes, it was needed
5 (16.7%)
Yes, but they should have found a way to consult all of us first
2 (6.7%)
I'm not sure
6 (20%)
Not really
4 (13.3%)
Not at all
10 (33.3%)
I plead the fifth
3 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: The question that's probably on quite  (Read 11679 times)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
The question that's probably on quite
« on: March 21, 2005, 06:48:49 PM »
By the way, hacker, it wasn't that x did not have the site secure, it's that you "used a ftp port that [xfir] lent to [you]"
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 05:25:25 PM by Leviathan »
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 09:06:31 PM »
I'm not affraid to state my opinion, i feel that it just isn't right to take control away from him forcibly. It just isn't right...

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 09:22:39 PM »
so plym, are you saying that you found x was doing a great job, or that it's wrong to take things from people with force?  If the second, then you must find what we did to kiler wrong
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline spirit1flyer

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 10:08:11 PM »
so plym, are you saying that you found x was doing a great job, or that it's wrong to take things from people with force? If the second, then you must find what we did to kiler wrong

to voice my response to that

if the story I read about killer is true then what you did then was valid but X never did anything like that I don't think what you guys did to X was right

if you were doing it for the good of the forum and it was done through other ways
I might agree but it seems to have hurt the forum more then it helped  
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 10:24:00 PM »
I myself haven't heard the story of Kiler in full, but what you guys did to x just doesn't sit right with me. Of course he did things to agravate the situation, but we all just let this stupid thing get out of hand.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 10:26:56 PM »
good, then you aren't saying what I was hoping you weren't
CK9 in outpost

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 05:27:13 AM »
im sure hardly n e one will vote it was needed, cuz most ppl will think it wasnt needed.

I might agree but it seems to have hurt the forum more then it helped.
There has been quite a lot of forum activty since sunday. Any forum activty is good.  Also many people posted in the forum move thread. And many people have been on since sunday. These people must check the forums semi-regulary, but why the hell dont they help to keep the forum active by posting messages and creating new threads etc. They can be bothered to moan at us but not help to keep the forum active. This is a team effot to keep the forums alive and active.

Its anoyed people but i cant see how its hurt the forum. Maybe im narrow minded? And im sure u have herd me say it - this is gonna help the froums and the community.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 05:27:48 AM by Leviathan »

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 06:47:37 AM »
cous there isnt some optoin on the pol ill just say what i think... the website .seems MUCH AND MUCH BETTER. but what you did to x was REALY REALY MEAN. so that brings me in a 50% 50% position. as from what i read and know(not a lot)) i think levi and hacker acted 2 fast. and i read what xfir posted on his own site. this my be wrong but it says that you just suddenly banned him from the chat channel... for what.(maybe you where already fighting i dunno) but still i dunno a lot    
becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 08:37:28 AM »
;ev, next time you want to edit a topic or post I make, talk to me first so that I can either explain why it is needed or can make an appropriate change to it
CK9 in outpost

Offline spirit1flyer

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 08:53:19 AM »
Its anoyed people but i cant see how its hurt the forum. Maybe im narrow minded? And im sure u have herd me say it - this is gonna help the froums and the community.

Leviathan it has split the people here into two sides we are not united anymore that is what I saw hurting the forum
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 09:17:18 AM »
;ev, next time you want to edit a topic or post I make, talk to me first so that I can either explain why it is needed or can make an appropriate change to it
Sorry CK9. This is an importiant vote clearly. I may have posted something simlar my self, but kinda expected some1 else to do it, and u did, so thx.
CK9's original last poll option was 'i am afraid to show my view' or somthing like that.
This is what i PMed to CK9:
hey i removed the bottom option on ur poll.
you wanna get answers to the question, that option dosent help the poll.
we want to hear the opion of the community, for everything.
We wont be baning people, deleting accounts, or peoples posts. We want to hear the views of the community.

So far i can say: The community has spoken!

Offline it2000us

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 02:32:10 PM »
I think u all are F***IN idiots, ok the forum moved so what? Were still here, so just SHUT THE F**K up and play some GOD DAMN OP2, thats why were here arent we? Yall talk to much, this is not a government democrasy its a free community where ANYTHING can happen no matter what you do. SO just F***ING chill.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 03:16:02 PM »
i honestly do not know where you get stealing from. It was as much mine or Levi's as it was xfir's. The post is the responsibility of the poster. It even read that in the TOS.

BTW, just so you all know, I did ask Punboy whether I could rightfully/ properly copy the forums, etc to a new site weeks before we actually did it. He said it was perfectly fine, as it's the responsibility of the webmaster to set permissions properly to prevent users getting access to material they didn't intend to have access to. If he had told me no I wouldn't have done it.

furthermore, we didn't intend to do this as fast as we did it.
We did want to inform people that it was going to happen, etc, so it wouldn't be a total shock. however something was accidentally pasted in irc which tipped xfir off so we had to move immediately or risk losing data.

If we had failed to move given those circumstances, xfir would probably have deleted the forum database anyway, and we'd be left with nothing.
We had no other alternative once xfir figured out what was occurring.

Also: I believe that some people (who remain unnamed) are misinformed on the situation. They believe it was wrong since well 'xfir didnt do anything bad'. First of all:
- Most of them have no clue how he treated the admins. Almost all administrative decisions were made in private areas of the forums, or private irc discussions which the general public don't even know about, they were for discussion among the leaders of the board.
- Many of the misinformed don't use IRC. The events that caused us to want to move occurred in IRC. xfir himself in IRC claimed that "OP2 was dying". IRC is so much a different world than the forums are, for those who don't use it probably only see about 25% or less of all the things that happen in the community.

One thing that should have been visible to all users was the constant pruning of your PM inboxes. This was totally inappropriate in my opinion. Contrary to what anyone tells you, PM's take up a very insignificant amount of space, since they are just text. Text compresses very well in webserver backups, etc so it's not a problem to back up.
Before the move xfir had limited everyone to 100 PMs.
I have increased everyone's limit to 1,000 PM's, because again there is no need for this pruning of PMs, you can store as much as you need in the PM boxes. It doesn't slow down the forum at all.

Another thing he did which is wrong is the deletion of users with invalid e-mail accounts, even some who used the forums and were active.
One such person I can think of is Phantom. His account was deleted manually by xfir (there is no auto delete system) because his email bounced when the forum tried to send to him.
The only reasons I can think of deleting users is if they sign up, never post at all, and are never seen again. Phantom did not fall into this category at all.

And also: Deletion of the IBStore. Even though I didn't personally like the IBstore, I did not want it removed without the consent of the users first. Instead of asking anyone, he simply deleted it one day. This angered many. To make matters worse, he didn't even delete the mod completely, so remnants of the IBstore are still visible (even now. I do want to reinstate the Store though because the community originally wanted it, and would only remove it if the community voted it out.)
Not deleting the mod totally shows extreme laziness (which he admitted) and is not something you want in a leader. A leader must be someone who is devoted.

BTW CK9: xfir did have improper security. almost all of his files were CHMODed 644 or better, allowing anyone with a valid account and some PHP scripting knowledge to retrieve ANY files on the site.
For the people who don't know what CHMOD 644 means, it basically means any valid user on that webserver could read the files sitting in his account, no 'hacking' or 'cracking' necessary.

Any one of us could have done it, the only reason I did it was because I have had experience with these types of things and know how they work.
There was no 'hack' or anything unusual that needed to happen in order to retrieve the files, it was a simple UNIX tar command that I used.

And I think we've said numerous times: We can't please everyone. This is a gaming forum, not a chitchat forum, so we have to do what will be in the best interests for OP2 gaming.

From this point forward I wish to have public votes for major decisions that affect the community, so the people have their interests at hand and not the interests of one leader who doesn't even support the community.

-- op2hacker

Offline it2000us

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 03:25:02 PM »
Wow such a big post and u had no comment about my little post.

Whatever i think yall should just drop this, cuz nothing will come of this. Whats done is done, and theres nothing you can do about it, so just move on ok its not that hard, unless you have no life and have nothing better to do.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 03:26:44 PM »
I'd like to point out that xfir shut off the forums that day after my pasteing of private convo between me and op2hacker. So at that point we had no forums. We asked xfir for the forum database but he wouldnt give it to us. op2hakcer had allready copyed the database so we were about to get the forums moved here quickly and effectivly.
What im saying is, xfir took down your forums. We were there to fix them by puting them here. Weather xfir taking the forums offline was temporay (like the joke) is unknown, but in my opion illrelevent. He took them down once again!

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 03:27:32 PM »
I do agree with you it2000us.

we have to get on with OPU, and put this behind us. We can't undo this.
Arguing about it does nothing, it changes nothing. We had to make this move to preserve the gaming community.

So please, let's get on with things.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 03:33:12 PM »
preserve the whole community and enable us to improve.

o yea: i agree.

and vote in the poll ^

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 03:42:35 PM »
Tell me, had it ever occured to anyone to just start the DB fresh instead of just taking it by force? HVK has lost it's forums many times before and we have started afresh quite a bit. To my knowledge everyone has still made it back to HVK's forums and reregistered. It DOES NOT HURT ANYTHING to start fresh. What the hell is the point of taking something when starting fresh would have been a much MUCH more effective way and less conflicting? I don't see the point of what you guys have done.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 03:46:47 PM »
It would have been proper stupid to start a fresh... lose all this work/posts.
If we were unable to keep going with the forums from where we are we would not have done it.
Im sure your forums are smaller, i may be wrong. This is the whole community, not just a clan. This game is so old and has so little players we cant aford to start over agian, we hope we never have to again.
And keeping going from where we are is more effective than starting over, whatevea you think. We can just keep going like nothing happend and etc
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 03:51:03 PM by Leviathan »

Offline Tellaris

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2005, 04:40:34 PM »
So you guys are saying, increase activity.   Does that mean I can post total, irrelevent crap everywhere?

Also, sometimes its a good idea to back off for a bit and let tempers cool...
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2005, 04:45:01 PM »
Baikon some members are chosing to do that like GP and Kiith.

And spam will be deleted :P

It means help the forums stay active by posting.

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2005, 05:58:06 PM »
Lev, your obviously not getting my point, which means i'm not putting it clear enough. My next post in this thread i hope will get it through your head.

Offline it2000us

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2005, 06:14:22 PM »
Right.....
Whatever he said lev.
Levi i thought you were smart? and now you cant understand what that dude is saing. Tsk tsk tsk. Too much op2 has fried you'r brain levi.

Offline zigzagjoe

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2005, 06:21:10 PM »
I'm really not sure about the move. I suppose i would be under/misinformed but it does seem like something needed to be done.

Allthough, in my opinion, it seems hacker and levi may have provoked xfir a bit.

But at that point in time something had to be done.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2005, 06:25:35 PM »
I think u all are F***IN idiots, ok the forum moved so what? Were still here, so just SHUT THE F**K up and play some GOD DAMN OP2, thats why were here arent we? Yall talk to much, this is not a government democrasy its a free community where ANYTHING can happen no matter what you do. SO just F***ING chill.
lol, it, you should take your own advice there.  If you don't agree with the arguing, that's fine, ignore it as it will be confined to small areas so that the comunity can still function a little.

BTW CK9: xfir did have improper security. almost all of his files were CHMODed 644 or better, allowing anyone with a valid account and some PHP scripting knowledge to retrieve ANY files on the site.
For the people who don't know what CHMOD 644 means, it basically means any valid user on that webserver could read the files sitting in his account, no 'hacking' or 'cracking' necessary.

all that tells me, hacker, is that his mistake was not in security, but in the trust of you.  The only reason to secure those files would be a lack of trust of the people who could access them.  By not securing them, it shows that 1) he felt he could trust the people on the web server and 2) he felt that he could trust you in the first place because he lent you the ftp port use.

It would have been proper stupid to start a fresh... lose all this work/posts.
If we were unable to keep going with the forums from where we are we would not have done it.

refresh my memmory, but I seem to have missed the day that it became impossible to archive pages on other sites and put them were they can be referenced.  Also, the only work I've seen posted on this forum is stuff that you don't need the originl thread to be around for for it to still ake sence.

So you guys are saying, increase activity. Does that mean I can post total, irrelevent crap everywhere?

not a good idea, although we all are showing the drawing of 'battle' lines, there are still common sence rules that must be upheld

okay, now that I've made those statements, I'll get to my point.

We've got old forumites (That term has become habitual for me in the indication of forum members) and new ones, issues that were never resloved and ones yet to be seen, and yes, we have showings that you always have to be careful with whom you trust around stuff.  Taking time to cool off just holds the frustration within, so people like it who say just forget about it, just don't go into the arguments, no one's focing you to read them.  Some of us want to vent it so that it doesn't pop up later when the community finally settles enough to function at even a slightly similar way as it did way back when.
CK9 in outpost