Author Topic: Forum Move  (Read 24517 times)

Offline Luweeg64

• http://gcuco.netfirms.com
Forum Move
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2005, 07:22:01 AM »
So you're saying it dosen't seem amoral what you guys did to xfir?

He hosted the forums for what 2 years, and as far as I know that costs money. This forum move just reminds me of stealing.

He was running it off his own server, and as far as I know, that gives him the right to do whatever he wants with it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 07:28:29 AM by Luweeg64 »

Offline Drakmar

Forum Move
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2005, 08:42:06 AM »
I agree. And this does sound like a power struggle to me too. And this does sound like stealing. I personally don't know if I want to go to a forum where this is ALWAYS going to happen. And, I've been here for a very long time, and no told me they were moving this forum. I thought it died because of a KevinAR18 kindof thing. So thanks... really.

Offline Leviathan

Forum Move
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2005, 08:58:27 AM »
Im sure some people are anoyed at this. And were sorry for that but its just a url change realy? Sorry that people are anoyed but we only had the best intentions in mind. We know what were doing beleive it or not. Its not like we could of told or asked people to move. Otherwise we would have. The forum is the same, we hope for least distruption as possible. And this wont be happening again Drakmar. It clearly was a power struggle and its over now. In our option this had to happen, so we did it. Whats done is done. Lets look ahead and not back.

Any questions or queries?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 09:00:06 AM by Leviathan »

Offline Drakmar

Forum Move
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2005, 09:08:07 AM »
The power stuggle between you and Xfir might be over now, but what about when someone tries to do something similar to you? Then this whole thing is going to repeat itself. Plus, I've been here about a long as you, hell I've been at Outpost Congregation and New Haven Command Site also, and I haven't become an Admin. And I will tell you why: Becuase only one person needs to be to repair some problems. You people will just use that to do whatever you want. Think about this, how is this similar to what Killer did?

Offline Luweeg64

• http://gcuco.netfirms.com
Forum Move
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2005, 09:13:09 AM »
You say you did this with the community in mind, but it dosen't seem that there was any need to do this. You say most of it was behind the scenes, henceforth it was a power struggle. Besides Xfir had the right to the data, it was his server, and his money paying for the hosting. Xfir is the only one out of all of you to say he was wrong, and he's kind enough to put the link up.

Offline Drakmar

Forum Move
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2005, 10:08:28 AM »
Yes, it seems that Dictator Xfir wasn't really much of one. After all, how many dictators do YOU know that admit to being wrong?

Offline Leviathan

Forum Move
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2005, 10:30:10 AM »
xfir sure wasnt a dictator so i wouldnt joke about it. like i said he didnt give us the freedom we wanted, thats all. he was a good admin im sure, but put his intrests first. and what u looking for here?, from me, to say we shouldnt of done it? we did it for a reason. we have the community intrest in mind.
we could argue forevea :/
as long as u dont leave the community im happy.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 10:43:41 AM by Leviathan »

Offline Mez

Forum Move
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2005, 11:48:16 AM »
To clear afew things up in this thread.

1 Xfir.net and all sub forums/sites were hosted free by Punboy. X paid $10 a year for the xfir.net domain. ( i think)

2 Yes x put a lot of work into the forums is was his 'baby' and yes maybe it was his right to keep some control, maybe it wasn't that can be argued in many ways but we arn't going to do that. ( note that im not a mod/ admin so im not just saying this for the good of admins/mods it would just look silly us arguing out who is wrong and who is right.)

For most people there wont be much noticable change just the forced loss of one infuential member.

Offline Zircon

Forum Move
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2005, 12:31:22 PM »
"You often meet your destiny on the road you've taken to avoid it."

Only a matter of time.

Offline it2000us

Forum Move
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2005, 01:54:31 PM »
My favorite buddy Z, long time no see. Where u been?

Offline PlayingOutpost0-24

• http://op3np.xfir.net
Forum Move
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2005, 02:09:37 PM »
Mez. Of course Subdomains were free but he did pay for xfir.net and if he didn't pay well.. Let's say I wouldn't write this.

Further, X had the right not to give much more freedom to admins. Hearing what happened earlier I am sure it's not over yet. There will be more and more power struggles.
I hope I am wrong.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 02:10:12 PM by PlayingOutpost0-24 »
Great news for OP2 fans... OP3 in progress.
Official Site
Outpost 3: A New Power progress
OP3:NP Discussion

Progress in OP3:NP[/size][/font]
PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
MAP DESIGNING [|||||-----]
CODING [----------]
Going slowly... Very slow.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Forum Move
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2005, 03:21:05 PM »
Remember that xfir's primary purpose of getting the domain was to have his own website. I do remember he told me that once that he wanted to see what it was like to run his own site. I'm sure OP had some influence too but he had his sights set on getting a domain for himself.

And he still can use it for himself and whatever else he needs it for.
Being one of the admins I got to see the bandwidth statistics on the opu subdomains. He made it sound almost as if we were a 'burden' to the operation of his site, that OPU was getting close to overrunning its bandwidth limits every month. That much was true; OPU got dangerously close to the limit.

It almost seemed to me that xfir wanted to get rid of some of the OPU stuff just because it required more resources.

And yes, Mez you are correct. xfir does not pay for the hosting at all, his only cost is the xfir.net domain name, which cost maybe $8-10 a year.
Punboy (who is with us) paid for the hosting. xfir used to not always be running under Punboy (he originally rented his own hosting) but Punboy made the offer only because he was hosting OPU, and Punboy is an avid fan of OPU. So he let xfir have some space and bandwidth for free, and said "you buy the domain." (xfir already owned the domain before that).

He switched to Punboy's hosting probably less than 6 months ago (somebody please correct me if I am wrong).

His total cash input into OPU for those last 6 months? again, nothing more than the cost to transfer and renew the domain. If I were to give a figure I'd estimate it at max. $25 USD.

Now if he still had been paying for his own hosting we probably wouldn't have been able to do this. Punboy hosts us now, and like xfir, we only pay the cost of the outpostuniverse.net domainname.

And yes he had the right not to give more power/freedom etc. but the restrictions he placed on us were excessive. I'll post some logs in a different topic for people to see how he really was.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 04:34:54 PM by Leviathan »

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
Forum Move
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2005, 04:21:02 PM »
All I can say is that this is interesting.

BTW
I don't feel all that well right now; my grandfather just died today so...
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline Leviathan

Forum Move
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2005, 04:39:08 PM »
well looks like hacker wants 2 get ppl against xfir.
all i can say is xfirs actions speek louder than words, what he mite of said etc.

as money is a topic should i pay xfir for this years reg of domain or somthing? anyway, im sure he would keep his site up with out us...? it was just his site b4 op forum am i right? hmmm

I hope people will get used to the change.

Offline it2000us

Forum Move
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2005, 05:11:42 PM »
Hey i dont mind a change? A new op game would be a nice change, but i dont see that happening.

Just remember, if you say that this change is for the community and we all have a say in this then what ever changes you want to make in the future then you should let the community deside if the change should take place and not just by you.  

Offline Leviathan

Forum Move
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2005, 05:13:22 PM »
we couldnt ask people about this change

we plan on asking community about future changes.

Offline it2000us

Forum Move
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2005, 05:14:41 PM »
Thats what i said/ment.

Offline Leviathan

Forum Move
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2005, 05:23:23 PM »
allrite cool, sure. we hope we can please every1...

Offline it2000us

Forum Move
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2005, 05:26:28 PM »
please me!!!! please me!!!! (thumbsup)  

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Forum Move
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2005, 05:47:45 PM »
hmm, this is familiar, ahh yes I remember, this is the exact same thing that happoned at  killers forums, he origonally thought the same way xfir and lev and hacker thought, a forum for all the people, but over time they become corrupt, and they got taken over and the forums moved to a new place, where the new person promaces that everything will be better, but now time has shown that power, even the small amount of power corrupts, so I am asking, how long till the new people in power lev, and hacker, become corrupt, and somone else takes over?

I think we need to end this visious cycle, im sick of moving, if the cummonity is to stay, we need a solid forum, one that will last as long as op2, can we do that?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Leviathan

Forum Move
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2005, 05:58:26 PM »
what do u think we made this site for Betaray. Youve found your home.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Forum Move
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2005, 06:06:37 PM »
Like I said before, a lot of it wasn't visible except to the highest-level people. Most people do agree with our decision to move here, because they have viewed xfir as a threat.

If you don't believe me, come on IRC and ask around.
I hate IRC...only good for when I need to get a game in before a test the next day.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Forum Move
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2005, 06:08:49 PM »
This is always what we've hoped for, the people who are most involved in OPU having control of the site, not someone who's typically sat on the sidelines and watched. now OPU finally has control.

It will expand to even more, since we want to let the community be involved in important decisions.

Betaray: We hope this is our final home, and that we won't have to move the site ever again, now that we've got it, instead of someone who isn't really interested in keeping OPU alive.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Forum Move
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2005, 06:24:30 PM »
To clear afew things up in this thread.

1 Xfir.net and all sub forums/sites were hosted free by Punboy. X paid $10 a year for the xfir.net domain. ( i think)

2 Yes x put a lot of work into the forums is was his 'baby' and yes maybe it was his right to keep some control, maybe it wasn't that can be argued in many ways but we arn't going to do that. ( note that im not a mod/ admin so im not just saying this for the good of admins/mods it would just look silly us arguing out who is wrong and who is right.)

For most people there wont be much noticable change just the forced loss of one infuential member.
just to clear things up FURTHER:

when OUF first started out, x was not hosted by punboy, he was paying more money then I I would be willing to for the server space.  If yu will remember the 3 times we had to deal with server changes because he was constantly looking for better deals.  I don't remember if you were on that night, but I was watching the convo between Punboy and x when they made the deal.  It's been far less than a year since then.

As far as I'm concerened, we all should have been happy just to have the forum.  Afterall, Sierra *spits on the company* dumped all evidence they could that they ever published this game, the compay that was making OP3 got bought out and the project dumped, and, as a community, we've had a really s***y time with forums (Kevin AR's quitting, the kiler fiasco, competeing comunity forums, ect.)

maybe we all would have been better off if we moved to the abandond gametalk OP2 forum...at least then if there was a problem with the forum moderator(s) it could be taken care of properly by someone who wasn't biased towards one side.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline xamlit

Forum Move
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2005, 07:50:08 PM »
I think that some new mods should be added.