Author Topic: Op2 Winsock Replacement?  (Read 1756 times)

Offline bouzip

Op2 Winsock Replacement?
« on: March 06, 2005, 05:51:21 AM »
is it ready yet? if it isn't, can i just have that beta of it.... i wanna play this game so much on internet, but i can't

thx anyway^^
Anime is something really nice in this world

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Op2 Winsock Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 10:24:43 AM »
You might have to wait a while. I don't think there is yet any work on the latest incarnation of this idea. I have no idea how the ealier ones worked (or even if they could possibly have worked) and I'm pretty sure the new idea hasn't had any implementation yet.

If your problem is being behind NAT (as is on most home routers) and you can't forward the ports, this project should fix it. If your problem is something else, or if you can forward ports, there are probably other ways around the problem.

To join games, you need to be able to accept connections on port 47800 UDP (well, really the first port the game can bind to in the range 47800-47807).

To host games, you need to be able to accept connections on ports 47776 UDP and 47777 UDP (well, really 47776 and the first port the game can bind to in the range 47777-47784?). But if (and only if) you are behind NAT, you also need to run NATfix to be able to host. Careful about this one though as there is currently a buggy version floating about (the newer one).

In short, being able to forward ports 47776-47807 UDP should allow you to play. (Provided you run the NATfix if you're behind NAT and you are hosting).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 10:26:24 AM by Hooman »

Offline bouzip

Op2 Winsock Replacement?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 03:05:07 PM »
well, i have all ports opened, but i cant see even one server...when i put ip

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Op2 Winsock Replacement?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 03:42:03 PM »
Bouzip you might try removing the port forwarding, then DMZ your computer from the router. (That basically disables NAT for that computer. It should work if port forwarding won't).

If it still doesn't work, then it's probably got something to do with something out of your control (are you in a dorm? the building setup might have something to do with it)

Offline bouzip

Op2 Winsock Replacement?
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 12:52:22 PM »
well, all ports are automatically opened, i haven never done anything to them.... NAT problem.....i don't think i have it, on any of those ports, cause i'm using azureus, all green lights  B)... oh, can PPPoE change anything? is it bad for op2? cause my internet connection reguires it....and i dont have router...live with my parents (i'm still 15), and i dont think there is any special settings that our ISP has put...

Offline Leviathan

Op2 Winsock Replacement?
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 01:58:02 PM »
bouzip come back on IRC when ur online and once again we will try 2 help.

Offline Mez

Op2 Winsock Replacement?
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 12:55:58 PM »
there are unfortunatly problems with PPPoE
as the computer is setup to think that it is connected to a LAN when in actual fact it is connected to the modem through a usb (or ethernet) cable.

There is unfortunatly no way to DMZ or portforward as they are not required by the pc for anything (so im told)

But due to setup computer uses an intenal ip to conect to the modem and then the modems external ip to connect to the internet
all ports are open automatically

ie external udp port 47776 is auto matiaclly routed to internal port udp 47776

its just the way the technology works

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Op2 Winsock Replacement?
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 01:12:33 PM »
yep, there you go, PPPoE would do it.

I know what has solved some people's problems with PPPoE, is if you go out and buy a router, placing it behind your modem it will work for you better.

Windows has horrible PPPoE support (btw Mez the port mappings aren't as 1:1 simple, everything has to be tunneled thru the PPP connection) so a router can handle most of that for you (configure the computer for a normal static link and the router can be setup to handle PPPoE)