Author Topic: Outpost 2 XP patch  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Marauder_Pilot

Outpost 2 XP patch
« on: December 10, 2004, 07:10:50 AM »
I just recently bought a new computer, running Windows XP Home (Although I plan on dual-booting it with Linux ASAP). When I went to install Outpost 2, I got the following error:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to fix it?

Offline The_Blight

Outpost 2 XP patch
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 08:49:18 AM »
Erm, I have XP and OP2(legal version), and it hasn't given me a single error, not at v1.0, nor at v1.3.1.

Your problem is situated in Windows, it cannot start the auto-execute of your installation program, maybe just go to the cd drive -> Right Click, Explore -> and run the setup/install manually, instead of having your PC doing it.

As when you put in a cd in a drive, your OS will most of the time start reading it and trying to figure out what it needs to do, that's the AutoExec.

HTH

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 XP patch
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 10:33:56 AM »
come on irc

op2 should work fine on xp.
and linx somehow.

Offline Mez

Outpost 2 XP patch
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 11:29:34 AM »
This is a common win xp problem. and affects lots of programs

To solve this you need to go to

"C:\WINDOWS\repair" and copy the 'autoexec.nt' file to "C:\WINDOWS\system32"

Select yes when it asks to overwrite.

This should solve your problem.

Also if you require help in setting your system up for dual booting i can direct you to a very helpfull website that helped me and tell you what to do when you get certain annoying errors when trying to get back into windows.
The can't find c:\windows\system32\hal.dll , is a common error if you come accross it and just requires you to boot the hdd in someone else machine and edit one character in the boot.ini file. (the partition number where the root of c:\ is)

edit:  i have found the best guide to setting up a dual bnoot system  make sure you read this first:
http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

I used it when i was a complete dual booting newb and it worked just fine. The only thing that i must add is that if you are going to modify ur xp hdd and are putting partitions before ur hdd then you must add 1 to the partition location in c:\boot.ini for every extra partition you put before xp other wise you will get the above c:\windows\system32\hal.dll error

hope this helps
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 11:41:07 AM by mezza »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Outpost 2 XP patch
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 10:05:47 PM »
Strange. I have XP, and OP2 works fine.

Offline Mez

Outpost 2 XP patch
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 01:02:38 PM »
it normally only happens when a prog corrupts autoexec.nt or the other non essential boot dlls
but are essential for opengl and direct x i think

sum1 correct my last line cos im sure thats wrong, but is a piece of code nearly all game executables require to run s9 i assume its graphics realted

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Outpost 2 XP patch
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »
autoexec.nt has absolutely nothing to do with DirectX or OpenGL.

It's for the NTVDM (NT MS-DOS emulation layer), it wouldn't have anything at all to do with OP2.

Now if hal.dll is corrupted, I'm surprised your computer can even start.
(ntoskrnl.exe, hal.dll are some of the most important files on an NT/2k/XP machine).

OP2 doesn't even use DirectX (at least not the copy you can d/l from us), so any issue with DirectX couldn't affect the game.

Offline Marauder_Pilot

Outpost 2 XP patch
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 10:50:29 PM »
Well, I did what mezza said, and it works fine now.
Man, I'd forgttten just how addictive OP2 is. Such crappy graphics, such an old game...and still great.

Offline Mez

Outpost 2 XP patch
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 09:09:11 AM »
I seem to have confused you hacker.
The hall.dll problem refers to when you are dual booting linux.

Before you install linux this line in you $:\boot.ini file is like so:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home"

This shows that your windows partition is the first "active" one on the drive.

When you resize the windows partition and put a new linux one in front of it (for your /boot partition), windows still starts as the partion that you ahve just made has not been marked as active, so it is 8ignored.

However when you install linux then during setup, the partition is marked as active so windows will not boot as it "can't find the location of windows root" because it is trying to look on the /boot partion for linux (which it cant read at all).

So you have to change the boot.ini file so that it reads:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home"

note the change from (1) to (2).

This now tells windows boot loader to ignore the first partition (which is active) and go to the next one which is where windows really is.

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 XP patch
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 07:01:13 PM »
Note on Outpost 2 and XP

It works fine on XP !

Please get our version from
www.outpostuniverse.net/op2dl