Author Topic: I Think I've Figured It Out!  (Read 8080 times)

Offline PlayingOutpost0-24

• http://op3np.xfir.net
I Think I've Figured It Out!
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2004, 09:56:05 AM »
btw Baikon Eden would get the upg. Thor at the same time......
3 + 2 = 2 + 3...

Great news for OP2 fans... OP3 in progress.
Official Site
Outpost 3: A New Power progress
OP3:NP Discussion

Progress in OP3:NP[/size][/font]
PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
MAP DESIGNING [|||||-----]
CODING [----------]
Going slowly... Very slow.

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2004, 03:50:38 AM »
hum... i can't remember exactly when, but doesn't eden not get the laser upgrade till so late in the reasearch tree that the player would (you hope) be able to construct better weapons already?
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2004, 06:26:51 AM »
Eden normally gets the beam weapon upgrade after Thor hammer (Artificial Lightning research)

If done really quickly, availible at about 100 marks (I think). But then game is all about researching it. Thor Tiger can be produced around mark 125 I think.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2004, 01:14:39 PM »
actually, i'm wrong, the real thing it comes down to is the players. heh
if players r the same (more or less perfeect) then ply cant lose the rush

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2004, 01:18:14 PM »
This is just the way it is and it always has been. I mean there's really no reason to change it.
the reason to change it is that eden dies at the start so u cant realy play them on standard 128x128  maps

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2004, 02:48:35 AM »
And Plymouth is doomed to loose the longer games...

So I guess you would want to upgrade them aswell ?

Offline Jgamer

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2004, 10:07:01 AM »
Actually, the least you'd like to change things, it seems to me that its too wrong for eden to be unable to defend against rushes. From what i know, almost every player rushes early on

Offline Tellaris

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2004, 05:00:56 PM »
Thats why your allies help cover you (a single sticky can go far) until you get something stronger, ie rails/emp.   A single sticky, given to help defend the Eden player costs what, 900 ore?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 05:01:33 PM by Baikon »
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2004, 05:29:32 PM »
imo eden only need 2 be edited for 1v1 multiplayer becuase op2 works great as a team multi game, 2v2, one eden, one plymouth. plymouth defends eden till they have thors etc.  

Offline Snypr98

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2004, 09:49:41 AM »
Scouts I agree with, but I usually just put them out around my base - they're better than light towers.  They can move out of the way, and they warn you when the attack comes.

Everything else is, sadly, very incorrect.  Double Univs and Nurseries do nothing apart from redundance in case one gets blown up.  I tried it.  I built like 6 univs to get workers faster, and it had no effect whatsoever except to use up valuable Scientists.  Save the 1250 common for tanks.

Tigers are worth about 5 times much as Lynx, and cost about 1.5 times (and some rare.)  They are slow, yes, but hard as nails and get 2x the ROF.  Panthers are good, I like them because you get a good armor and passable speed.  That "mass lynx" strategy would die so fast against Plymouth.

Also, for those of you to check the online manual, Microwave does slightly more damage than Lynx, for the same cost.  And their EMP missile and spiders would just recruit your army so fast.

Try focusing more on Acid Cloud and TH, the ac is death on wheels to spiders and scorpions (if they'd be silly enough to use scorps  :lol: )  and TH is just plain useful.  Just my opinion.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2004, 04:23:40 AM »
Snypr98, No offense, but did you ever play online ?

Online, scouts are pretty useless. Vs the comp they can have their uses, but you will only need 1 or 2. As for light towers.. it's much better with guardposts ;)

Double universities and Nursuries does have an impact. Try getting 1000 colonists on Eden Spaceship. Once you get 2 of each of those buildings you will get the message: 2 Children have been born, 2 workers have been trained... etc.

As Tigers over lynxes, give the lynxes room to manouver and your tigers will be in deep s***.

The Laser vs Micro debate has already been solved.

Emp Missile/Spiders aren't really worth it in a multiplayer game. Human opponents are Usually to smart to be trapped by that sort of tactic. (Note: I did say usually)
I suggest you start using Emp Missile/Super Novas instead, much more useful ;)

Offline Sl0vi

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2004, 03:02:42 PM »
Ehm.. Eden weapons are way better then Plymouth weapons, the only time that plymouth has better weapons then Eden is at the start of the game. So maybe Eden ought to concentrate on gaurd posts rather then building lynx's, until the eden player gets better weapons.

EMP missiles are worthless against meteor defense, so if a player figures out to build them, the missiles become worthless.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2004, 05:15:23 PM »
Guard posts will never work. First of all, they aren't mobile. Most maps have wide open spaces and there is not way you could cover all enterances to your base with guard posts by the time they attack. Even if there was only one enterance that you manage to defend in time, there is nothing stopping them from rushing past your guard posts. Once they're out of range of your guards posts and gutting the soft underbelly of your base, you're pretty screwed. Secondly, guard posts aren't really all that strong. Granted, I've seen them shred units early in the game (microwave GPs that is,) but unless the number of enterances to your base is limited, you'll never have enough firepower to stand up to any reasonable sized army. Remember, your leaving you enemy with all the mobility and they can choose exactly where they want to attack. GPs also cost more than lynxes so you could be wasting valuable ore. If placed right they *might* help though, but then, that's time away from building other structures with your convecs. Besides, stickyfoam outranges lasers.

EMP missiles aren't worthless against meteor defense. Just worth less. Meteor defense can still miss, and I'm pretty sure it can only target one missile at a time. Plus, just the threat of missiles means Eden has to waste a lot of resources on defense. Meteor defense doesn't come cheap. It takes a significant number of workers and scientists and costs rare ore too. Plus it eats up a lot of power. Not to mention, if their observatory ever goes offline, like whenever a scientists dies, none of the meteor defense systems work. Now, with all that being considered, meteor defense can only really be used to defend a base, and usually only important parts of it too. It does nothing to help defend an attacking Eden army out in the open. Granted, you can largely move out of the way and save at least most of your vehicles from being disabled, but that's not always so easy to do with Tigers.

And scouts aren't worthless in multiplayer. They are a cheap 250 ore detection system that will warn you of sneak attacks. They probably aren't very useful, but for 250 ore, it probably doesn't matter much. And even a few extra seconds of warning can save you quite a bit. Plus, turn the headlights off and you have sneak detection to find their sneak attacks. Light towers won't tell you about approaching vehicles and I don't think they reveal them on the minimap either. (I could be wrong about that, but in my experience they never seemed to.) And yes, I've had a few attacks (not quite) foiled by scouts. I was able to cut a nice whole into a base but the early warning stopped my from being able to destroy as much as I'd have liked since they were able to reposition their army in time.

I don't believe double universities and nurseries have an impact. I think it's just the greater your population, the faster it grows. (Maybe I'll look into exactly how it works sometime.)

And as for giving Lynxes enough room to manouver, it doesn't matter much unless you can either outrange the tigers, are avoid them competely. It doesn't seem too likely you'll outrange all the weapons they have and running around isn't all that effective either most times. Keep in mind that to run around them, you have to cover more ground then they do to get in your way again, so the extra speed almost doesn't make up for it.

And yeah, the extra fire rate really makes the Tigers well worth their money as far as attack power goes, not to mention the extra hit points and armour. And yes, Acid Cloud really is quite effective against spiders.

Offline PlayingOutpost0-24

• http://op3np.xfir.net
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2004, 07:25:46 PM »
Double universities and Nursuries does have an impact. Try getting 1000 colonists on Eden Spaceship. Once you get 2 of each of those buildings you will get the message: 2 Children have been born, 2 workers have been trained... etc.

Snypr is rite at this point, as Hooman said too... in single player i just had ONE university and ONE nursery and still there were 4-twin birth and 4-ppl classes.
Great news for OP2 fans... OP3 in progress.
Official Site
Outpost 3: A New Power progress
OP3:NP Discussion

Progress in OP3:NP[/size][/font]
PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
MAP DESIGNING [|||||-----]
CODING [----------]
Going slowly... Very slow.