Author Topic: Has Anybody Else Noticed...  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Has Anybody Else Noticed...
« on: October 30, 2004, 08:13:41 AM »
Has anybody else noticed that when Sierra/VU has a sequel to a game they made, and they have it made by another company, it, well, is horrible?

Outpost 1 = So-So (Made by Sierra/?)
Outpost 2 = Good (Made by Sierra/Dynamix)
Outpost 3 = Never Made (Company bought?)
STARSIEGE Tribes/Tribes 1 = Good (Sierrra/Dynamix)
Tribes 2 = VERY Good (Sierra/Dynamix)
Tribes Vengeance = Horrible (Whoever made UT2004)

I'm noticing a trend here...  <_<  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 12:03:52 AM »
Info 'bout OP1 and OP3:

Outpost 1 = Aweful (Made by Sierra/Dynamix)
Outpost 3 = Never Made (Unofficial/Fan Made)

OP1 was pretty bad because it lacked a lot of the stuff SEIRRA promised in it. For instance, monorails were non-existant. And of course, multiple command centers.

Not to mention, the gameplay and dynamic of the game were not streamlined very well.

As far as OP3 is concerned, it looks to be shaping up into a pretty neat game. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

:op2: Leeor Dicker

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 12:58:04 PM »
there were too moerails in op1

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 05:45:16 AM »
i could get more then one CC ... but only on the same map (and i was pretty sure that you were supposed to be able to place them on new maps on the planet)

monorail- well the sprites were in my folder on my last PC as were the ones for real (tarmac+yellow central divider line) roads. - i just never found a way to build them... perhaps its only available on certain planet types or something... ... ...

then there was AIs that could autobuild the colony for you - i don't think i ever found how to access them ... ... ...

and i just wanna say that cyberstorm 1 which was great and cyberstorm2 which was rubbish aren't on there

CS1 was a sierra/dynamix but i think CS2 was without dynamix...

IMHO, sierra did the best games when it was dynamix that was developing the game
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 05:11:32 PM »
Starsiege is actually also called Earthsiege 3. I have Earthsiege 2, and i find it a great game :) Made by Sierra.

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 02:56:19 PM »
Outpost 3 is not just fan made. There was once an Outpost 3 being made. Sierra sold the right for the Outpost Series to another company (I forgot the name) who started producing it...who then sold it to another company that basically trashed it. I remember Ttamdude used to talk to the people that was making the game at one point when I was an assistant webmaster for him so I used to talked to him.

As of now, there probably won't ever be an official Outpost 3 game ever made, so we'll just have to stick with the fan made one's and hope that they are made properly (it would suck if they were made improperly and screwed up something in our system's wouldn't it...)

I have faith in the people making the Outpost games to do it well and make it every bit as enjoyable as Outpost 2.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline Nomi Sunrider

• http://www.angelfire.com/on/mystica
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 03:19:29 AM »
There was once an Outpost 3 being made. Sierra sold the right for the Outpost Series to another company (I forgot the name) who started producing it...who then sold it to another company that basically trashed it.
Yeah, that same thing happened to the original Middle-Earth On-line (MEO) that Sierra had in development stages.  Then Vivendi, a French company, bought out Sierra and the project was trashed because they didn't think a game based on some old fantasy books would make any money.  I have since read articles (and even seen a webpage) that say a new MEO is in the works by Sierra now that the LotR movies have successfully come out and proved Vivendi to have been grossly in the wrong.  Wouldn't it be great if they decided to make OP3?  It would need as big a success as the LotR movies to jumpstart it though, I'm afraid.
There are other forces at work in this world... besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, in which case you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought. ~Gandalf

Get FireFox!  Rediscover the Web!