Author Topic: Riddle  (Read 3226 times)

Offline ZeusBD

Riddle
« on: September 14, 2004, 11:49:51 AM »
Don't look at the next post unless you want the answer I came up with. Let me know if there is any flaw in my logic.

------------------------------------------------------------------

:A Riddle - Can you figure it out?::
Three men decided to split the cost of a hotel room. The hotel manager gave them a price of $30.

The men split the bill evenly, each paying $10, and went to their room. However, the hotel manager realized that it was a Wednesday night, which meant the hotel had a special: rooms were only $25. He had overcharged them $5!

He called the bellboy, gave him five one-dollar bills and told him to return it to the men.

When the bellboy explained the situation to the men, they were so pleased at the honesty of the establishment that they promptly tipped the bellboy $2 of the $5 he had returned and each kept $1 for himself.

So each of the three men ended up paying $9 (their original $10, minus $1 back) totaling $27, plus $2 for the bellboy makes $29.

Where did the extra dollar go?
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline ZeusBD

Riddle
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 11:50:57 AM »
I came up with this all on my own without any help from any website, human or calculator...let me know if you think I'm wrong and tell me why I might be wrong.

They originally paid $10 each, but when the bell man brought back their money, they got back $5....So each person paid on average $8.4, so they got back on average $1.6. 1.6x3 equal's $4.8. They gave the bell man 2 dollars (4.8-2=2.8). So now you have the hotel's money (25) + the bell man's money (2) + the men's money (2.8) = $29.8, which you would round up to $30 since you had to round 8.333333 up to 8.4 (.07 ((the rounded up amount approx))x3 ((the amount of men)) = .21 which is the amount missing from the $29.8 once you cancel out the taken away from and added on amounts for both rounded numbers).

Here's it laid out in mathimatical equation's:

10x3=30 (original payment)
30-5=25 (payment hotel kept)
25/3=8.4 (What each person paid...rounded)
10-8.4=1.6 (What each person got back...figured from rounded number)
1.6x3=4.8 (What all three got back when figuring with rounded numbers)
4.8-2=2.8 (total amount got back minus the bellboy's tip)

25+2+2.8=29.8 (Hotel payment plus the bellboy's tip plus the rounded amount they have left)

We rounded the 8.3333 (infinity) up to 8.4, so you get the .07 back

.07x3=.21 (amount the each person got back on top of the 1.6 times all three of the men)

25+2+2.8+.21=30.01 (Hotel payment plus the bellboy's tip plus the rounded amount they have left plus the round amount they got back on top of the 1.6)

Now the 2.8 was figured from a rounded up number, so it isn't exact 2.8 and the .07 isn't exactly .07, so when the taken away and added on total for each rounded number are cancelled out, they make an even $3.

I figured this out all on my own. I did not look up anything or use a calculator anywhere, I sat here for about 5-10 minutes figuring out the answer and I got it. And I am not lying, I actually didn't have any help figuring this out.  
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.

xfir

Riddle
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 12:48:57 PM »
Don't look at the next post unless you want the answer I came up with. Let me know if there is any flaw in my logic.

------------------------------------------------------------------

:A Riddle - Can you figure it out?::
Three men decided to split the cost of a hotel room. The hotel manager gave them a price of $30.

The men split the bill evenly, each paying $10, and went to their room. However, the hotel manager realized that it was a Wednesday night, which meant the hotel had a special: rooms were only $25. He had overcharged them $5!

He called the bellboy, gave him five one-dollar bills and told him to return it to the men.

When the bellboy explained the situation to the men, they were so pleased at the honesty of the establishment that they promptly tipped the bellboy $2 of the $5 he had returned and each kept $1 for himself.

So each of the three men ended up paying $9 (their original $10, minus $1 back) totaling $27, plus $2 for the bellboy makes $29.

Where did the extra dollar go?
For the last time! This problem is TOO simple. It has failed math logic all over it!

If each paid $9, then yea, that would total $27. $27! They only paid $25 for the room, and $2 for the bellboy, which makes $27. If you add another $2, it makes no sense. What you should really be adding would be the $1 each tenant got back ($1 * 3 = 3), thus $27 + $3 = $30.

I have seen this problem way too many times. Sorry if I sounded harsh toward it, its still morning and I just woke up (Actually, its about noon).

Offline ZeusBD

Riddle
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 12:55:54 PM »
hmmm....that was a very simplized answer Xfir....though mine also works, it is a much more complicated answer and basically shows exactly what yours does. If you look closely I showed exactly what you did, but I did the math to prove it (you have to do that in some college math classes, the answer is simple, but they want you to prove it is right by doing something that is much harder and I don't see a reason for).

I pointed out how much each person paid (8.4 rounded), how much each person got back out of the 5 dollars, showed the money that went missing from the rounding of the paid amount, and then explained it all.

Offline Mez

Riddle
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 03:07:29 PM »
Sorry if i sound harsh (/me joins the beatings).  But your math sounds a bit off.
They each paid $10 at first and got $5 back
30-5 = 25
paid bell boy $2
so $27
27/3 = $9
each man paid $9 in the end and got $1 back out of it.
So each person paid on average $8.4, so they got back on average $1.6. 1.6x3 equal's $4.8. They gave the bell man 2 dollars (4.8-2=2.8). So now you have the hotel's money (25) + the bell man's money (2) + the men's money (2.8) = $29.8, which you would round up to $30 since you had to round 8.333333 up to 8.4 (.07 ((the rounded up amount approx))x3 ((the amount of men)) = .21 which is the amount missing from the $29.8 once you cancel out the taken away from and added on amounts for both rounded numbers).
that is all apsolute crap math in my opinion, for a number of different reasons.
You leave the money they paid to the hotel in a fraction 25/3 because as soon as you get into decimals you end up with the above rounding error which screws you up completly. and you dont need to work out the inbetween math unless u have apsolutly nothing to do.  i will also question your ability to come up with the decimal answer of 25/3 without using a calculator.

Another thing that riddle isn't math its logic which screws the mind of someone who doesn't know how the coma works - its a separate clause of the sentance which is falsified!

Grr i realy have had enough of those type of crap riddles.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Riddle
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 05:37:12 PM »
lol, I never got the correct answer because my mind wouldn't look at it correctally
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline ZeusBD

Riddle
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 07:54:44 AM »
Sorry if i sound harsh (/me joins the beatings).  But your math sounds a bit off.
They each paid $10 at first and got $5 back
30-5 = 25
paid bell boy $2
so $27
27/3 = $9
each man paid $9 in the end and got $1 back out of it.
So each person paid on average $8.4, so they got back on average $1.6. 1.6x3 equal's $4.8. They gave the bell man 2 dollars (4.8-2=2.8). So now you have the hotel's money (25) + the bell man's money (2) + the men's money (2.8) = $29.8, which you would round up to $30 since you had to round 8.333333 up to 8.4 (.07 ((the rounded up amount approx))x3 ((the amount of men)) = .21 which is the amount missing from the $29.8 once you cancel out the taken away from and added on amounts for both rounded numbers).
that is all apsolute crap math in my opinion, for a number of different reasons.
You leave the money they paid to the hotel in a fraction 25/3 because as soon as you get into decimals you end up with the above rounding error which screws you up completly. and you dont need to work out the inbetween math unless u have apsolutly nothing to do.  i will also question your ability to come up with the decimal answer of 25/3 without using a calculator.

Another thing that riddle isn't math its logic which screws the mind of someone who doesn't know how the coma works - its a separate clause of the sentance which is falsified!

Grr i realy have had enough of those type of crap riddles.
Listen here little 8 year old boy....you should talk about subject you know absolutely nothing about.

Each person did not pay $9 since 9x3 is 27 and the bill was 25 (you tried to prove my math wrong by doing something completely different...I took in effect the bell boy later on you dumbass). Second of all, anyone who took even basic math (which you obviously did not) could figure out that 25/3 is 8.33 repeating. So obviously your an idiot. And what do you mean you don't use fraction's....what a moron you just proved yourself to be....$25 between 3 people has to be done as a fraction.

So in conclusion....unless it is your goal to make a fool of yourself, don't open your mouth.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 07:56:20 AM by ZeusBD »

Offline Mez

Riddle
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 12:16:44 PM »
I am sorry.

I was trying to provide a different approach to the solution which was simpler.  fair enough i now see that you were trying to give a stage by stage approach to solving the problem.

i prefer to leave things as fractions as it removes the rounding error at the end and is also easier for me to do than having to use the:
100x = 833.3/99
1x     = 8.3
99x   =100x-1x
99x   =833.3-8.3 = 825
x       =825/99
x       =8.3 reocuring.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Riddle
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2004, 12:27:45 PM »
Jeez... you guys are getting a little nasty...

:op2: Leeor...

Offline ZeusBD

Riddle
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004, 12:32:22 PM »
I just did it in my head within 2 seconds, 25 divided by 3 equals 8.3333

I figured it by 24 / 3 = 8 and 1 / 3 = .333 infinite (We need to have a 3 with the line over it).

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Riddle
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2004, 08:43:48 PM »
you guys are prime canadates for the bored thread lol
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Mez

Riddle
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2004, 03:01:47 AM »
hey i never would think of doing it like that. Shows how bad my mind is when it comes to maths type logic.  i remember that.