Author Topic: The Basics of Microsoft Evil  (Read 4460 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
The Basics of Microsoft Evil
« on: September 02, 2004, 11:28:46 AM »
I think I've been reading too many DooM novels, playing too much DooM3 and reading too many articles about the evils of Microsoft. But hey, I like to blab sometimes... :D

It all started long ago with the establishment of the Operating System DOS. It was stolen from another company that was writting the same OS, but well... that's life I guess.

Anyway, so MS-DOS came into existance. And was miserable. There was no such thing as a directory. There were only files. I guess this wasn't so much of a problem because at the time PC's were rather limited (I mean, how powerful is an 8086 Intel compared to todays standards?) But that's beside the point.

Eventually MS-DOS pushed out all competitors. And that's when Microsoft became a superpower.

As the years progressed, so did DOS. It was eventually capable of a directory heirarchy with the 8.3 filename standard. It soon came with great tools and applications and GAMES.

IBM and Microsoft worked together for awhile on OS/2. What did Microsoft do? They stole OS/2 also and spat out Windows. Whoopdeedoo. Microsoft Windows, a true nightmare for PC programmers and PC users alike.

Win3.1, however, was very well designed for a 16-Bit operating system. It rarely crashed and was, for the most part, very stable. It even had the ALT+TAB functionality.

But then came Windows '95. Wow. Talk about hell on earth. Win95 was the beginning. With great new features but far more bugs included, Windows '95 began to develop a mind of its own and would find any possible way to annoy its user to no end. After a series of fixes, Win98 was released! Year-2000 ready! Whatever that meant...

And the troubles only grew worse! Along with the development of DirectX (of which version 1 was nothing more than a mere joke), Windows 95/98 paired together to make a users life miserable. With '95 lacking all the 'features' of '98 and '98 being one of the least stable operating systems in existance, users began to switch to Linux systems.

While Linux is one of the greatest Operating Systems available today, the horrors of setting up and installing a *wirking* Linux distribution kept the PC world stuck with Windows while Microsoft sits there in Maine (or wherever it is) with its fingers interlocked, grinning like an imp.

Soon after Win98 was released, another horror show was distributed, this one known as Windows Me. Millenium Edition was by far *the most* awful garbage released by Microsoft at the time. And after many fixes and upgrades, it remains completely broken.

So, Microsoft, in an effort to reclaim its market shares, released Windows 2000 and XP along with a new version of DirectX, version 6.

So, DirectX was now the way for programmers to write great games for the Win32 platform. Lovely... we're stuck.

But, Windows 2K/XP made many things right, to some degree. As Microsoft later took over a large share of the home-console genre with their xBox, Windows XP continued to dominate the PC world, and to this day still does.

=====================================================

Now, explain to me if any of that made any sense. Heh... probably not. Ah well.

ranting is good sometimes! :)

Leeor

Offline Zircon

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 02:10:24 PM »
Win XP sp1 good yes... *nods up and down*

Talk like Yoda we do yes...

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 04:04:49 PM »
Good read
Win ME is so bad, it crashed on me over 50 times in one evening b4.
My first comp which used 2 have ME on now runs on XP and curretnly needs a format.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 07:16:58 PM »
I guess I'm the only one around here who could controll '98.  It never crashed on me, I could find things very easily, and it froze only once (I had 50 applications running, taking up 100% of HD usage and still needing more).  It's Internet Explorer I had a problem with, the version was very faulty

I don't care for XP, it is harder for me to find things, it freezes and crashes on me a lot, not to mention the problems with MSN 9
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 07:30:42 PM »
(shakes head) You just can't beat Linux (any distro but Mandrake :heh: ) with KDE 3.2 and X Window System installed.

It crashed on me maybe once, due to a config problem. Once I fixed the config file it worked fine.

Windows crashes because it can. At least linux crashes for a reason.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 09:10:15 PM »
trhe only time I use a linux-based program is when I want to chang a computer's admin password without knowing what it is *evil grin*
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

xfir

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 09:44:18 PM »
I am so putting that in my image sig! w00t!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 10:40:41 PM »
x...you're insane...

I sill like win. '98
CK9 in outpost

Offline PlayingOutpost0-24

• http://op3np.xfir.net
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 02:12:26 AM »
in fact Windows also crashes for a reason: it is programmed badly... or just Microphone wants it...
but i wont use other OP SYS anyway.
EDIT: oops... *Microsoft :lol:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 02:13:31 AM by PlayingOutpost0-24 »
Great news for OP2 fans... OP3 in progress.
Official Site
Outpost 3: A New Power progress
OP3:NP Discussion

Progress in OP3:NP[/size][/font]
PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
MAP DESIGNING [|||||-----]
CODING [----------]
Going slowly... Very slow.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 08:19:30 AM »
it's kinda funny when a Microsoft game causes windows to crash (happened once on the XP computer)
CK9 in outpost

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 09:51:37 AM »
AOE always crashes on my XP :D :lol: B) :) :P
Official Site

PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
CODING [----------]

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 10:25:14 AM »
I'm suprised that WinXP crashes and Win98 doesn't. Hehehe... Win98 is one of the more unstable builds of Windows.

WinME has a problem with memory leakage which is what makes it so bad.

WinXP handles a lot of things pretty well and can be set back to a Windows Classic view.

Anyways, I loved this line:

I'm gonna keep that line and use it where I can...  (thumbsup)

Glad I left a message that a lot of you responded to... :)

Leeor...

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2004, 11:48:25 AM »
add it to ur sig :P
Official Site

PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
CODING [----------]

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2004, 04:32:44 PM »
I've never really had any complaints about Windows 98. It worked for me, and still does. From what I've heard, Windows 98 was the most stable of them all (although XP seems pretty stable too). Oh and the classic windows look is so much faster. If you want your computer to be MUCH more responsive, turn off the new WinXP look (mind you, I've got an old slow computer). Anyways, I find it very unlikely that I'd not have Windows on my desktop as my main OS, even though I usually have some variant of Linux/UNIX on there too. Although for a server....

Btw, I find it odd that so many people promote Linux over Windows. In my experience a number of Linux distributions have proven both unstable and VERY user unfriendly. The later usually being what annoys me the most since I've spent so long using Windows.  :lol: Anyways, even if you get everything running stable, there isn't exactly a fix for the user friendliness. The only exception I've seen so far is QNX which is both stable and user friendly (only had one problem during install due to a large harddrive that my old BIOS didn't support). But then a lot of programs haven't been ported to it yet and I'm not a particularly big fan of the do-it-yourself camp. Oh, and just trying to figure out which flavour of Linux you want to install... omg! It'd probably take over an hour just to read an incomplete list of names, never mind know what the difference is.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2004, 06:00:03 PM »
PlayingOutpost - I would add it to my signature but I dunno... not my style... ;-)

Hooman:

WinXP is the best one I've ever used (besides Win3.1). I agree about figuring out which version of Linux to use. I personally like SuSE Linux because it just seems to work well.

The biggest problem with Linux is that there's no set standard. Someone just takes the source, runs with it and the creates yet another version of Linux.

Well, Linux is great but if someone could properly create an "official" Linux distribution and keep all version updates cetralized along with a Windows-type setup, I'm willing to bet money that Linux would take over in terms of the better OS. One would just need to make sure that it could properly emulate Win32 programs (including XP) none of which is any easy task.

Leeor...

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2004, 06:14:52 PM »
I'm suprised that WinXP crashes and Win98 doesn't. Hehehe... Win98 is one of the more unstable builds of Windows.

The computer that has '98 is one I helped my dad build, the one with XP I don't know if it is an off-the shelf or not
CK9 in outpost

xfir

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2004, 06:42:08 PM »
WineX/Cedega is currently capable of emulating a Windoze enviroment, but in no way could emulate it enough to run WinXP.

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2004, 01:26:45 AM »
ah, i'm not a big fan of SuSe or any other version on Linux. Every single freaking time i try to install Linux, my computer crashes badly by giving my hdds a grub error. ME never gave me a problem, i get more trouble from XP then I ever did from ME, though i think it is partly my fault for that as I keep installing things that make my system go pear shaped, as in that Netware Client for my Network card.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2004, 07:07:07 PM »
And now Macros*** is going to kill us with Palladium.

Offline Mez

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2004, 01:14:19 PM »
the grub error is normally due to installing grub on the MBR instead you shud put it in its own 100mb partition prefrebly a primary one and follow these instructions to dual boot the system - http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html
(it lets windows take care of the initial boot to selection of os screen which is why it works.)
The only that i would add is that if you are using a oem version of windows then it has to be on partition number 0 (1)  ie it must be first, so you must put the grub boot partition after the windows one.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2004, 02:29:31 PM »
Hence the difficulties of installling Linux. Great OS, awful setup.

Anyway, WinXP is the most stable consumer build of Windows yet (aside from 3.1).

Windows Me has a memory leak problem. When programs terminate, they may release whatever resources they were using but Windows never returns them to the resource pool. This slowly causes the system to die usually resulting in a BOD or just a general system failure. It can be corrected by restarting the computer. MS never fixed this problem (I guess they could never find the problem!)

Anyway, Windows '98 had all sorts of problems with it. To me it looks like they took Win95 and merged MS-Plus '98 with it, spiced up the GUI a bit and spat out Windows '98. While it doesn't have a resource leak, it is generally unstable and doesn't work well with many program open. Its multitasking capabilities are limited, not to mention it doesn't support a dual or more processor environment. WindowsXP supports all of that.

Granted, while I like WindowsXP (didn't at first), I still don't like Windows in general. If there was a practical solution to that (e.g, a version of Linux that could emulate most Win32 program, intall as easily as Windows and didn't have so many different GUI's to choose from to figure out which ones workand which ones don't), then Linux would be my primary OS.

But alas... no such luck.

Leeor...