Author Topic: Latest Patch  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Tellaris

Latest Patch
« on: August 19, 2004, 05:27:44 AM »
This ain't a complaint or anything, but I think the no cd file and the patch itself should be seperate.   I don't know how many people here actually care, but I personally like OP2 music, it helps me get into the game.   Since the no cd patch completely disables this (music feeds off cd is the reason why I think) is the reason why I think it should be seperate.   Maybe not change this one, but perhaps keep it in mind for the next one...

If way around this (other then extracting the music using reVOLver, which I can never get the bloody thing to work right anyway) plz tell me.

For those wanting a CD of the game, just get the full CD download (I believe that is the OP2dl) and burn it to a CD.   OP2 thinks its the original.

Again my opinions.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline PlayingOutpost0-24

• http://op3np.xfir.net
Latest Patch
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 05:33:56 AM »
Baikon, copy the OP2.clm file to ANYWHERE in C:\ and then give the reVOLver the path. If you unpacker it, try copying the music to the Outpost 2 Directory.
Great news for OP2 fans... OP3 in progress.
Official Site
Outpost 3: A New Power progress
OP3:NP Discussion

Progress in OP3:NP[/size][/font]
PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
MAP DESIGNING [|||||-----]
CODING [----------]
Going slowly... Very slow.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Latest Patch
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 07:35:10 AM »
(Note on this post: it may sound harsh to some. Also, its not intended only for Baikon, it goes for anyone who is interested

Copy the OP2.CLM to your Outpost 2 game folder and music will work (you can do this with the AVI files if you want movies, too, and music1.wav for the main menu music)

The reason we have put the nocd patch directly in the EXE is for two reasons:
1) not having to play games with the checksum (you know these types of convo's in IRC when the game won't start...:) eg.
[+PlayingOutpost] host indicates that remote start failed
[@OPU|Leviathan] checksum error
[@OPU|hacker] ok ... do you have the cd version of op2?
[+OPUWebIRCUser] yea i think so
[@OPU|hacker] oh you need to download file http://www.outpostuniverse.net/files/xxxxxxx.zip otherwise you'll get checksum errors when you try to play w/ us
and it would go on.... this happens quite often now as we keep getting new players.

2) music makes the game lag badly enough at times that it's not worth playing. It may not be noticeable to the person using music, but it is to the other players. (I'm sure everyone's been on the losing side of this type of thing) This basically means the 'lagger' will have a less interesting game... in short, it generally means people will try to get rid of them first (either kill them first, or wait for them to pingout and drop them immediately)

You have 3 options if you want music.
1) copy the CLM like I mentioned at the top of this post.
2) install 2 copies of OP2: one for SP with music (using CD) without any of our patches, and one for MP, no music, all of the patches. If you don't install our patches on a copy to use for SP, you aren't missing anything because we don't have SP maps anyway in the updates.
3) don't use our updates, if you don't care about not being able to play multi (you will get version errors and ejected from the game until you upgrade your copy of op2 if you want to play multi with us)

BTW: The OP2DL is our 11mb dl with cd crack, intended for multiplayer. We don't have an ISO up yet, but we may post one sometime.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 07:36:32 AM by op2hacker »

Offline PlayingOutpost0-24

• http://op3np.xfir.net
Latest Patch
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 02:19:33 PM »
we should send that thing with the activation message so the newbies who come on IRC we can play instantly.
Great news for OP2 fans... OP3 in progress.
Official Site
Outpost 3: A New Power progress
OP3:NP Discussion

Progress in OP3:NP[/size][/font]
PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
MAP DESIGNING [|||||-----]
CODING [----------]
Going slowly... Very slow.

Offline Tellaris

Latest Patch
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 09:01:34 PM »
Thanks for the info on how to work Revolver PlayingOutpost.

OP2Hacker, wouldn't playing the music files on a music player generally not effect the game?   (ex. Winamp, Windows Media Player, whatever else there is)
As well, thanks for the instructions on how to fix the music problem.
In addition I was unawares that music caused lag, I will have to keep that in mind...   So sorry to anybody whos game I lagged if any.
Click Here For Coolness

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Latest Patch
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 07:51:31 AM »
OP2Hacker, wouldn't playing the music files on a music player generally not effect the game?   (ex. Winamp, Windows Media Player, whatever else there is)
Yeah, running music players would make the game lag.

When you play OP2 multi the only other program that *should* be open is your irc client. If you leave music players, distributed clients, etc open they make the game lag really badly.

And yea when someone causes lag they almost never notice it but the other players do. the reason for this is b/c they are receiving packets at the normal rate (a way to put lag is a low packet rate from a player... it lags when the other computers dont get packets fast enough). but they are not sending as fast as they should be (because the system has to keep the media player going, as well)

If you wanted to be able to still use music I would suggest burning it to a CD or putting mp3s on an mp3 player and playing the music that way.

If you have a really fast computer you might be able to get away using CD Audio (as the music is streamed from the CD to the soundcard by the OS, not the media player as in the case of MP3 (has to decode them and output the data to the card)).

Offline Toshiro

Latest Patch
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 04:02:36 PM »
hum... i have to disagree with you there hacker. teoretically, running anything than the game would lag, but if you think, mirc scripts are often more heavy than winamp... About media player, yes, that's hard as a rock, media player claims your pc for itself and it won't let go. but running winamp (2.x! winamp 3 and 5 are much more heavy) has no effect on lag, UNLESS u have a dreadfully slow pc. i used to run starcraft on my 133 with winamp running (reading mp3 from the same disk as the game) and it had no single effect on lag. only reason i could say that op2 lags with music might be with the internal music player op2 has.
i mean... dammit... i'm runnin apache with multiple web pages, mysql databases, winamp, trillian, mirc, anti-virus, du meter, and i don't shut off any of them when i'm going to play a game. if the music thing was real, i would lag as hell! i should be dropped 1 second after i enter a game :P that is... if i could make into it... lol :P

Offline Tellaris

Latest Patch
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 05:24:23 PM »
I got 933 mhz Intel Pentium III + 766 mb ram.   I think that can handle winamp...   Only way to find out for sure is to test it.
Click Here For Coolness

Offline Nightmare24148

Latest Patch
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 10:44:16 PM »
No one has complained of lag with me - all I am running usually when the game starts if  the mIRC, Win Media Player, and Op2. But Ivew had AIM, MSN Messenger, and Yahoo Messenger, and sites open and STILL no one complained of lag :P. I have a 1.8 Ghz PC but it also may be I have Cable :P

:D
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline Tellaris

Latest Patch
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 12:45:45 AM »
Slower proccessor, lots of ram, got cable connection too, nobody has ever complained of my lag before either.   (if any)   I've also had lots of other stuff running at the time, even a download (once)
Click Here For Coolness

xfir

Latest Patch
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 10:38:50 AM »
I usually shut down any instant messenger programs because I have been interupted while playing something.

But I can use Winamp without lag during OP2 play.. course the savant voice sounds kinda funny mixed with songs from bands like Offspring.

I think it more or less depends on the configuration of your system, and also what has priority. If using XP, then set your Media player to a lower priority. SO what if your music skips?