Author Topic: True Christian?...  (Read 12154 times)

Offline plymoth45

True Christian?...
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2004, 04:49:10 PM »
I don't think it was Mat 13:35.

Mat 13:35  That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

I don't know which verse you were reffering to was or else I would have posted it as well. And if that was the verse you were referring to I didn't interprit that as what you meant.

Offline Ben362

True Christian?...
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2004, 04:57:14 PM »
As one of my pastors told me it is often easier or more effective if you set up someone else to share their faith with people that you are close to.  

Offline ZeusBD

True Christian?...
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2004, 11:24:29 AM »
yeas i have tried to share my faith w/ my family.  They told me that they don't wanna hear about that stuff (matt. 13:35 says something like the members of your own household won't believe you when it comes to CHrist b/c they'd have to change and they won't want to.)  I get in trouble for talkign bout God all the time so i don't mention him around them which is a major bummer.  Also, it was my mom's wishes for me to not get baptised.  She couldn't stand the fact that i loved something other than her (rest her soul).  Towards the end of her death she refused to let me go to church b/c she wanted me all to herself.  Besides, my church told me that even though they wanna baptise me and i wanna be baptised, mom said no and they believe in listening to parents wishes.  Mark and Karen (my foster parents) hate the fact that i'm not Catholic and i think it might even be that they can c i have a stronger relationship w/ God than them.
Well it is one of the Ten Commandments to listen to your parents. If it was her dying wish that you not be baptised (sp?), the you shouldn't. Being baptised isn't required, though it is a good thing to do. If you believe in Christ as your savior and believe in God as he is the only God and that he loves you, then you will go to Heaven (as long as you don't kill someone or something).
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline plymoth45

True Christian?...
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2004, 01:15:45 PM »
Even if oyu do kill someone, you can still repent. A lot of murderures have turned from their ways and become christians just before they were executed.

Offline ZeusBD

True Christian?...
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2004, 01:19:14 PM »
But did they really accept Christ and really ask for forgiveness, or were they just saying that to keep from going to Hell right before they die. If they didn't really accept Christ into their hearts and were just saying that, than I doubt that counts.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.

Offline Tellaris

True Christian?...
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2004, 02:26:32 PM »
Excuse me if this is incredibly inacurate, but I remember reading something like it in the Good News Bible.   I also don't have one handy, not a Christian, but I go to a catholic school.   I think it was a parable but I don't remember, its been a year since I had religion and got to look at a Good News bible.

The hypocrites pray in public, and let everyone know.   They will get their reward in heaven.   However, those who pray in private, and conceal their faith will also get their reward in heaven.   The hypocrites give money to the poor, they do it publicly and make a big show of it.   They will surely get their reward in heaven.   However, those that do help the poor in private and do not tell anyone will get their reward in heaven.

It goes something like that.   I have a semi formulated idea on what it means, but I'm not sure.
I'm not sure this is in there, but I remember it strongly...   Again, not sure how it goes.
The least you do onto others is what you do unto me

Plus, who cares if it turns into a religious debate, so long as it dosn't turn into a flame war.   People keep it calm and respect eachother and don't heat it up and there shouldn't be a problem.   I'm pretty sure most people here are respectful of others beliefs, just the same old case of the few ruining life for the many.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline ZeusBD

True Christian?...
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2004, 02:52:21 PM »
I respect all beliefs (Muslim, Catholic, etc.), but I was just saying that in the Catholic religion, it has almost come to the point where the priest make themselves level with God. You have to talk to them besides God, they punish you, though God is a forgiving God, they worship Mary, though she was but a human (a blessed human, but a human none-the-less).

Offline Sammyk

True Christian?...
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2004, 03:52:55 PM »
In Revelation (also my christian rock band name:) it says Christ wont come again untill every single person has heard the good news, so i don't know about you but I would really like to see christ come again (thumbsup). so get  off these forums and go tell people! j/k.
dude Garrettsbro you rock. haha. and garrettsgirl, i hope that your 'foster parents' will lighten up some and you will be able to go to church more often.  

Offline Ben362

True Christian?...
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2004, 04:32:07 PM »
Honoring your parents is a commandment, however, they also have responsibilities that are outlined in the bible.  If they are preventing you from becoming closer to God your heavenly father than you are sort of exempt from following them.  Kind of like when Daniel was arrested for praying because it was against the law but it was required by Gods law.   Gods law must come first.

Offline ZeusBD

True Christian?...
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2004, 05:14:16 PM »
Good point, but since baptism isn't required, than does that count? It is a sign of you going to God, but nowhere does it say that it has to be done.....does it (maybe I just missed it).

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
True Christian?...
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2004, 07:59:32 AM »
Good point, but since baptism isn't required, than does that count? It is a sign of you going to God, but nowhere does it say that it has to be done.....does it (maybe I just missed it).
Sorta right, but I think its the concept of wanting to be obedient to God. Because they are keeping you from serving God like you want to, then don't listen to them.
True, baptism isn't required but if someone wants to be as obedient to God as they can then baptism is important.

(note to all: let's not get into a fight over who's right, catholics or not... if this starts a flame war we'll probably have to close the topic... so let's please not go there..)

Offline plymoth45

True Christian?...
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2004, 12:31:12 PM »
Zeus, your right about some just "saying" that they have turned around. Then there are the ones that really have turned around. The ones that just "say" don't go to heaven, they burn in the pits of hell. The ones that really have go to heaven to be with the lord.

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
True Christian?...
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2004, 03:07:59 PM »
it has almost come to the point where the priest make themselves level with God.

I don't know who told you this, but it isn't true. I'm catholic and hispanic, but never have I seen a priest that acts in this manner. Priests only help spread the word and give guidence to those that need it. It's called holy orders (we being at the bottom) not pretend to be god. Priests are human and anybody can be one if they want to (aka saint, priest, Bishop, etc.). This is why there are seperate sacraments that split when you get married or become a priest. The level of study is represented by the name you are honored with. You don't even have to be catholic to become a saint so this honor doesn't only appy to catholics it can go to anybody.

Catholics don't even have to go to church. You only go if you want to practice you're religion as a large community. God is everywhere not only in a church, temple, land, etc.. Everybody who practices to be a christian is a priest in some way. The apostles where all normal dudes just that they decided to spread and study the words of jesus more then most normal people would have.
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline Ben362

True Christian?...
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2004, 04:45:56 PM »
how true Prime, however, recently there have been a number of preists that have not been acting apropriatly and made the news.  now this doesnt only happen in the Catholic church they just happened to make the news.  

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
True Christian?...
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2004, 08:57:26 PM »
Yeah, but those are people who have fallen away from their faith and their God.  If oyu truley love God, you won't do stuff like that.....  (btw, now there are 3 people that have my name in their username. lol)

Offline ZeusBD

True Christian?...
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2004, 11:57:22 PM »
it has almost come to the point where the priest make themselves level with God.

I don't know who told you this, but it isn't true. I'm catholic and hispanic, but never have I seen a priest that acts in this manner. Priests only help spread the word and give guidence to those that need it. It's called holy orders (we being at the bottom) not pretend to be god. Priests are human and anybody can be one if they want to (aka saint, priest, Bishop, etc.). This is why there are seperate sacraments that split when you get married or become a priest. The level of study is represented by the name you are honored with. You don't even have to be catholic to become a saint so this honor doesn't only appy to catholics it can go to anybody.

Catholics don't even have to go to church. You only go if you want to practice you're religion as a large community. God is everywhere not only in a church, temple, land, etc.. Everybody who practices to be a christian is a priest in some way. The apostles where all normal dudes just that they decided to spread and study the words of jesus more then most normal people would have.
Sorry, I shouldn't have worded my posting like I did. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I guess that since I hear about it from my wife (was a hispanic Catholic who converted) and her family...and from my dad telling me about the Mexican Catholic Priest's, I just posted without thinking. I realize that there are corrupted church leaders in every faith...but like Ben said, it is the Catholics that make the news, so I guess that it is easy to talk about them. I will saying stuff about Catholics as I don't want to offend anyone and they are men of God (well, at least the good one's that still follow God).

Offline jesusfreak06

True Christian?...
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2004, 10:28:23 PM »
well, i'm a born again Christian and i'm forced to go to a Catholic church (i dislike it a lot b/c of the priest who doesn't get into his homilies and preaches mountain wing stories.) I can't stand that church b/c i must go to it instead of the one i love.  The reason i love the one I do is the way i feel when worship time comes around and i feel close to God.  I also love it b/c it's smaller and i know every one and i love them and gar and sammyk and garrettsbro and mustang0906 go there and i play flute for every one and i feel happy and close to God.  I dislike the Catholic religion (no offense to any one, i was  myself for 14 years of my life FYI) b/c of the way they think (more about the denomination than Christ).  The priest talk about purgatory which is no where in the bible (that me or n e other person i no have read).  And priests don't marry.  HOW CAN YOU DENY THE RIGHT GOD GAVE YOU TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON ENOUGH TO GET MARRIED AND HAVE A FAMILY!  Sorry to offend any one catholic.  I don't mean too i just wanna speak what i feel.  It may not be that way for you guys out there, but in this town w/ bout 10 catholic churchs it is.  I no priests that smoke and have tatoos and peircings.  I've been to many churchs and the Catholic religion doesn't work for me.  On the up side, i no many happy Catholics who agree w/ the way that denomination works, but not me.  What do y'all think?  Oh, sammyk, i'm playing offeratory august 15.  I wish i could go more often too...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 10:35:46 PM by garrettsgirl »
I am a dork! but hey, i'm a Christian dork.

Offline ZeusBD

True Christian?...
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2004, 12:05:24 AM »
I already said what I felt about Catholic Priests, but I will not repeat it as to not offend anyone. I agree with you Garrettsgirl (what can we call you besides Garrettsgirl...maybe another nickname?) but if you were in their shoes looking at the Christian religion, they would probably have some mean things to say about us as well.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
True Christian?...
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2004, 07:49:19 AM »
I would agree with both of you, but please, let's keep the flaming to a minimum.

Thanks!

Offline jesusfreak06

True Christian?...
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2004, 09:24:44 PM »
i don't mean to flame.  u may call me boo-boo (lol) or how bout dee.  that's one of my summer camp names.  hey guys,  guess what, august 5 is my moms 41 b-day.  i do agree w/ u on that one zeus that we see them as odd for what they do but on the other hand we probalby look like weirdos too. lol.  and what's this thing that sammyk is telling me about bumps?

Offline ZeusBD

True Christian?...
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2004, 04:42:19 AM »
Well today would be her birthday. Are you talking about your foster mom or your real mom? And Hacker, I am trying to keep from flaming people :)  

Offline Sammyk

True Christian?...
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2004, 04:38:30 PM »
Oh, sammyk, i'm playing offeratory august 15.  I wish i could go more often too...
if your not able to go to church to play. i will get  a swat team (composed of me, gpgarrettboast, mustang, and garrettsbro) to go to wherever you are and steal you so you can play. happy...!

Offline Sammyk

True Christian?...
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2004, 04:39:21 PM »
and what's this thing that sammyk is telling me about bumps?
its on a diff. board..

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
True Christian?...
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2004, 09:59:20 PM »
(um. please don't double post.)

Her real mom's birthday.

(sss.)

Offline jesusfreak06

True Christian?...
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2004, 09:47:46 PM »
gpgarrettboast, ur cute.  lol.  well sam, if u feel compelled to do that go right ahead; but since the fosters said yes already i think i can go the normal way. lol.  thanks for posting that info gar.   :P