Author Topic: Issues with SmartFTP  (Read 2718 times)

Offline EmperorKosh

Issues with SmartFTP
« on: July 28, 2004, 10:42:03 AM »
Hey peoples. This has practically nothing to do with Outpost 2, but I'm trying to update my clan's website for "Freelancer". I keep getting some damn error when trying to upload files with SmartFTP.  Here's a snippet of code with the error I keep getting in it. SmartFTP's support site didn't help worth a s***. All they do is restate the problem I have. What's the point of restating a problem when nobody does something to answer it? Anyways, here's the code:

Opening data connection IP: 192.168.1.101 PORT: 3639.
    STOR FL Contents.html
553 Can't open that file: Permission denied
    PORT 192,168,1,101,14,56
200 PORT command successful

The middle line is the freaking error... Anyone know how to fix this?
Live free or die...[/b][/i]

Offline Tellaris

Issues with SmartFTP
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 10:44:35 AM »
Windows is preventing it from opening that file is my guess...   How to fix that, I don't know...
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline ZeusBD

Issues with SmartFTP
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 11:14:23 AM »
You can give WiseFTP a try:

www.frankandami.com/files/Wise_FTP.zip
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline plymoth45

Issues with SmartFTP
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 01:19:49 PM »
LeapFTP is what Hunter and I use, works fine, though after day 60 i'll have to reinstall it.

Offline ZeusBD

Issues with SmartFTP
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 01:20:45 PM »
Wise FTP won't need to be reinstalled....there are many out there, so just choose one EmporerKosh
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline EmperorKosh

Issues with SmartFTP
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 10:13:27 PM »
Problem ain't fixed. Demon and I tried working on it tonight... he said he knew what the problem was but it was hard to explain. So basically he deleted all of the stuff on my site and told me to re-upload it. I said "Ok".

And of course whaddya know, I still can't upload. He's trying to get this one girl so I gotta wait until he comes back at 11:00PM CDT tonight. This kinda blows... now I have NO website.

Anymore suggestions though are appreciated. Also I'm not sure if it's my FTP client or not because Demon has the same one and he tried logging in as me and said that it was working fine...

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Issues with SmartFTP
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 07:55:17 AM »
It cant be your client, cuz all the errors that come from the server have numbers before them (like the 553 in the error above), so its nothing on your computer like having it open in a diff. program (but it wouldn't hurt to make sure you close programs that are editing it b4 you upload)
It's POSSIBLE though, that maybe the server doesn't like spaces in names like you had there (FL Contents.html). What you may have to do is edit your site and rename all your files to not have spaces. (use FL_Contents.html or something like that then change all your links to match.)

Then try reuploading...

xfir

Issues with SmartFTP
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 11:06:06 AM »
Or, it may be possible that somehow the server is assigning your files to a different account and the server will not let you edit it. I know all the xfirnet files belong to 32189 even though I uploaded a lot of them myself (on other servers, xfirnet ownership remained, there wasn't a switch).

I doubt CHMOD would affect FTP, so I can rule that out. (... in any case, what is the CHMOD set to?)

Also, is the server running Win32 or Linux?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Issues with SmartFTP
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 11:52:43 AM »
Usually the account doesn't matter. Rarely do you have to specify an account in FTP.

In any way, it's nothing he can fix, and the server admin will have to fix it.

CHMOD doesn't affect FTP or shell access as long as its your own files.
If the server's running on win32 (yuck who would be stupid enough to run a permanent webserver under windows?) chmod doesn't apply at all.

I think it's getting screwed up because of the spaces in names, cuz a space is how the FTP protocol separates parameters.

Offline EmperorKosh

Issues with SmartFTP
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 09:23:32 PM »
To xfir, I think the problem is what you described. We got it fixed today. My friend said that he bound the IP address to the computer he was using... and since he was on as me, when I tried uploading from MY location, it would refuse me because the IP address had already been bound.

Thanks for the help all. If you guys would like to check out the site, go to:

http://vorlonempire.fedoradocs.net/

I'm planning on getting some forums there too. (I'd kinda like to expand my clan into Outpost 2 if that's at all possible. LoL. I got big aspirations.  B) )

Oh and by the way, Outpost2Hacker, my friend IS the administrator.  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 09:24:24 PM by EmperorKosh »