Author Topic: Tile Graphics Indices  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Tile Graphics Indices
« on: April 11, 2019, 11:40:45 PM »
Is there a list of tile graphics with their corresponding index IDs laying around somewhere?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: Tile Graphics Indices
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 11:47:59 PM »
I'm not aware of any. Mostly just the graphics viewers, but I don't think they show the index values for each tile.

In case it helps, I believe the tile groups form a perfect partition of the tile sets. Every tile is in exactly one group. (Maybe double check that for the animated lava tiles). That might be an easier way to sort and organize tiles.

Offline pente

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 05:14:15 PM »
Every .map file in Outpost 1.3.7 except outcaster.map uses the same indexing order of tiles (which is just all the tiles of well0000.bmp in order, followed by those of well0001.bmp, etc.). (I think outcaster.map just skips the first tile but I'm not sure.) I've attached an image of all 2012 tiles in that order, starting from the top and reading across by rows, so tile 0 is the upper left. Each row has 32 tiles.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 08:21:38 PM »
I realized the old OP2Mapper actually tells you the tile index, in the bottom left corner of the window.  But thanks anyways!
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Shpooky

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 12:27:46 AM »
how do you guys get the tiles to export in that format and also how would one do that for all the tiles in the game and for all the frames in the game?

Offline pente

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 06:59:38 AM »
Hi Shpooky- sorry I am not usually around these days. In the download for Outpost2 you can find a file called art.vol. Like the other .vol files, this is a collection of multiple files combined into a single volume using an Outpost-specific file format.

Here is code I wrote in python for extracting .vol files: https://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6272.0.html

I wrote this based on code others wrote in C++, but I don't remember now where that is to be found.

If you extract art.vol, you will find a number of files, including well0000.bmp, well0001.bmp, ... well0012.bmp. These are image files which contain the graphics for all of the tiles in Outpost 2. The image I posted in this thread is simply all of these files put together in one image.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 09:57:24 AM »
Hmm, seems I missed this post.

If you want to extract files, there are some release packages for the OP2Archive project.

If you're looking for example C++ code of how to do it yourself, the backend code can be found in the OP2Utility project. Though if you're looking for historical code, there is the now unmaintained OP2Editor (backend) project, which was an earlier source of example code.

You may also encounter an issue with the Sierra packed assets being in a non-standard custom format. Just extracting the files from the VOL might not be enough. At some point, someone repacked them in standard Windows bitmap format, which the game is able to read, though due to copyright reasons, I don't believe they are available for download anymore. I don't believe there is currently a utility that lets you easily convert, though the projects above do have some support for internal conversion of the two formats within their code. A proposal was suggested to create such a utility. Previously there wasn't much need, due to the repacking in standard format, though now that is no longer available, so a conversion utility may become a higher priority.