Author Topic: Outpost For Linux  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Spikerocks101

Outpost For Linux
« on: December 06, 2009, 04:05:44 AM »
Simply, I want to try and make a remake of OP2 (as identical as possible) for the Pandora. I know people have tried to do this, and it often is criticized, but I was putting some thought into it, and since people in 97 weren't super geniuses at strategy game making, I don't think it will be that hard (as long as I get some guidance form the forums). This would be an opensourse version of OP2. And just too add on the Pandora, it isn't released yet (probably January), but it's a Linux hand held gaming system. It will be a great place to get new members if we make a cool game for it, since it seems it's mainly for old games (they claim it's "the quake console"). I will probably get a quick beta to see how hard it will be by Saturday (giving me a full week). Just as a request to some one, can you start ripping images off OP2 (which shouldn't be that hard), or if it has already been done, can you show me. Also, I know this is a bad question to start out on, but how do you set the program speed (I mean how do I get it to go 30 cycles a millisecond kinda thing, so it's standard with all systems).
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost For Linux
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 09:07:30 AM »
... since people in 97 weren't super geniuses at strategy game making, I don't think it will be that hard ...
I.... You.... But... Huh?

I... I don't know... what to say...

How do you even make that logical leap?!
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline WooJoo

Outpost For Linux
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 10:40:32 AM »
I think Sirbomber made a point. Back in 97 they created even more bizzare programms then today i think its almost impossible to reacreate the drugs they where using to get the mapping system. Still a clone would be possible it would take much effort couse you need to create almoste all the stuff that is possible in op2 ... oh btw have fun.

Offline Hidiot

Outpost For Linux
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:25:18 AM »
Well, stupidity happens.

Whatever the case, good luck spike. You should know that time is not so much of a limit as drive is. It's the drive that starts and stops you from working.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Outpost For Linux
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 03:58:29 PM »
I can't help but feel you may be getting in way over your head, but I won't try to stop you. I would love to have an open source Outpost 2 remake, but it's not exactly an easy task. Keep in mind the original was made by professional programmers, who probably head years of education and experience, and it took them quite a while. I'm quite sure they weren't idiots. Plus having their livelihood depend on the game, I'm sure they had more incentive to work on it.

Btw, image extraction may not be as easy of a task as you'd like. There is the art viewer that can extract single images (there are a lot of them), but what about ripping out complete animation information? I'm not aware of any tools for that. _A_ was working on code that seemed to be able to at least mostly do it, but I think that person liked to keep things closed source. There is a VB project posted on the forums that parses most of the data structure, but it doesn't really support extracting. You'd probably have to write new code, and maybe use that as a guide.

Offline Spikerocks101

Outpost For Linux
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 05:29:49 PM »
Sirbomber, what I meant was not the code was easy, but most of the ideas for path finding, and motion are pretty simple.

Hooman: I was just thinking of going in the game, setting the speed to slow and screen shooting each picture. I got the animation for the scout done in about half hour.

And in general, I think it will be something like 3 headers, 1: Game Mechanics, 2: Buildings, 3: Units. I will show you something later today.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Outpost For Linux
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 01:08:18 AM »
Ehh, that's going to be difficult to sort out the transparency. Plus, half an hour for 1 unit? Did you get it moving in all possible directions, and doing all possible animations? Think how many cargo truck animations there are. There's a seperate sequence for dumping each cargo type.

I would highly recommend you find a more automated way to rip the game graphics.

Offline Spikerocks101

Outpost For Linux
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 02:26:24 AM »
well, its not important right now. i got the scout unit, and i am starting on getting a simple engine going. so far, i have red blocks as units.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Spikerocks101

Outpost For Linux
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 09:09:33 PM »
I got some baics done, I will get a little bit more done before showing. I'm gone this weekend, so maybe Tuesday.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!