Author Topic: Op2mapper  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Gagagigo3

Op2mapper
« on: June 14, 2006, 01:30:01 PM »
I downloaded the OP2mapper and it goes smoothly except one point... i can only edit texture :'( , does anyone knows how i can place the :angry: ******* buildings and vehicles :op2: . if that is impossible, u can call me stupid!!!  :CK9's:  
Extinction is just the beginning.

Check this out, it rocks

Offline Sl0vi

Op2mapper
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 01:37:53 PM »
The mapper is for making maps, meaning only terrain, and not missions, with units and buildings and stuff like that.

To make buildings and units, and stuff like that, you'll need to get the OP2 SDK, to make mission .dll's. This also means that you need to understand a bit of programming.

Eddy-B also made a scripter that would allow you to make missions, altho it's only in beta yet, and I'm not sure how much you can do with it yet.

Look in the programming section of the forum for more info, or check out some of the articles in the wiki. http://www.wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Main_Page
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Op2mapper
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 02:10:25 PM »
There are three files op2 needs to run a mission:

1. .map file (graphical map file)
2. .dll file (mission file)
3. .txt file (tech file)

1 - As Sl0vi said, the mapper only does the map file (*.map) that holds the locations of graphic tiles and a cell type (it tells the game if you can move over the tile and how fast you can do basicaly). You can also make your mission use other maps already created.

2 - The .dll mission file is the most complex. The file needs to be coded in C++ with all mission details, and computer player AI. However (as Sl0vi already posted) Eddy has created a program to help with this task. Once your .dll is compiled, you need to name it with a mission prefix like this one: "ml4_" which tells op2 this mission is a multiplayer LoS for 4 players. Op2 needs this prefix to open the files.

3 - The .txt file is the easiest file to get. Usualy you won't even need to make one. However, techs define what a player can build and research. It also tells the game things like how much hp a unit can have, how far it can shoot, how much it costs, ect. The tech multitech.txt is used by most games, and is the standard Op2 tech.

Finaly, always look in the wiki for your answers, or other old topics. It saves everyone time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 02:11:02 PM by Mcshay »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Op2mapper
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 02:30:45 PM »
The mapper can generate a little bit of code which can help with unit placement.. However it's not nearly enough to produce a full blown mission.

(There's also the problem in that the base generated by the mapper is static, i.e. it won't randomly assign a player a base location).

But yes, the mapper is primarily for editing the terrain. To place units you'll need to have a mission DLL. (You don't need to know too much about coding, if you can enter numbers into a text editor you should be able to create at least a basic mission).

If you have problems, there's always people willing to help (you could always go into a project with someone where for example, you design the map and the other guy will design the DLL).

Offline Gagagigo3

Op2mapper
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 10:53:11 AM »
Ok thanks, i should get in project whit som1 i think, i don't have any knowledge of coding, but editing texture is my best shot. Thanks!!! :D  
Extinction is just the beginning.

Check this out, it rocks

Offline PUNK_FOX

Op2mapper
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 05:22:31 PM »
My bad, I found it! :D  
Punk Staind Blood