Author Topic: Op2 Maps  (Read 3316 times)

Offline thojoh370

Op2 Maps
« on: May 08, 2006, 02:16:01 PM »
Hey how do we add our own maps into OP2 and how do we play them?
I WOULD LIKE ANSWER!

Offline Sl0vi

Op2 Maps
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 02:20:12 PM »
You should really ask this question in the programming forum, under mapping.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Maps
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 02:24:20 PM »
And ask nicely while you're at it. I wouldn't answer somebody screaming "I WOULD LIKE ANSWER!" ...  <_<  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Op2 Maps
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 03:32:19 PM »
Yes, please. Screaming that you would like an answer is not going to make friends around here very fast.

Topic moved.

---

Anyway, regarding creation of new maps.

OP2 has two components for a map. The .dll file, which controls unit, building, disaster placement, AI, victory conditions, etc. and the .map file, which controls only the level terrain.

It would probably be most logical to make a new .map file first before you start writing the .dll, unless you want to use one of the pre existing game maps.

The .map file can be created in OP2Mapper, (link)
It controls all the initial terrain and the attributes governing whether items can move onto / be built on different tiles on the map.

Next, you need a .dll file. Dll's are code written and compiled in Microsoft C++ (yes, you're forced to use MS C++, for technical reasons I won't go into here).

If you don't have MS C++, you can download a package of tools that includes the freeware version of their compiler here.

If you have programming background writing a DLL should be very straightforward. If not, you might still be able to make some sense out of what is going on. There are always people around who can help you and, if need be, you might be able to work with someone who can volunteer their time to write the DLL for you.

Also in the works is Eddy-B's scripter which will allow you to create missions with very little coding required. See the programming section to learn about that.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 03:38:09 PM by op2hacker »

Offline thojoh370

Op2 Maps
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 02:31:48 AM »
Yes, please. Screaming that you would like an answer is not going to make friends around here very fast.

Topic moved.

---

Anyway, regarding creation of new maps.

OP2 has two components for a map. The .dll file, which controls unit, building, disaster placement, AI, victory conditions, etc. and the .map file, which controls only the level terrain.

It would probably be most logical to make a new .map file first before you start writing the .dll, unless you want to use one of the pre existing game maps.

The .map file can be created in OP2Mapper, (link)
It controls all the initial terrain and the attributes governing whether items can move onto / be built on different tiles on the map.

Next, you need a .dll file. Dll's are code written and compiled in Microsoft C++ (yes, you're forced to use MS C++, for technical reasons I won't go into here).

If you don't have MS C++, you can download a package of tools that includes the freeware version of their compiler here.

If you have programming background writing a DLL should be very straightforward. If not, you might still be able to make some sense out of what is going on. There are always people around who can help you and, if need be, you might be able to work with someone who can volunteer their time to write the DLL for you.

Also in the works is Eddy-B's scripter which will allow you to create missions with very little coding required. See the programming section to learn about that.
What DLL file?  :huh:  I've only created a map in the OP2Mapper, nothing more.
Tell me more about that. And please, I will stop screaming if you stop requesting this thread under Programming........  :angry:  

Offline siqueule

Op2 Maps
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 05:33:46 AM »
precisely, the dll files are as programmation, it's the files who say where are the buildings, the mining bullets, etc
I can't help you to modify these files, I have never succeed
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 05:35:08 AM by siqueule »
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Maps
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 01:59:27 PM »
What DLL file?  :huh:  I've only created a map in the OP2Mapper, nothing more.
Tell me more about that. And please, I will stop screaming if you stop requesting this thread under Programming........  :angry:
As Hacker said, OP2 missions are made up of the .map file and a separate .dll file, which you need to code yourself (although there are templates for you to use). As far as I can tell, this is because many OP2 missions use the same map files.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Op2 Maps
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 02:34:56 PM »
Yes, each mission has a unique DLL file but the same map file can be used by any number of DLLs.

The DLL file also tells the game what map file to use.