Author Topic: An Outpost 2 Riddle  (Read 1784 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
An Outpost 2 Riddle
« on: March 06, 2006, 09:58:43 PM »
You are in a multiplayer game with two other players.

Your enemies are busily fighting eachother and you are off in a distant part of the map.

Your base is complete and you have started producing tigers but none have been built yet.

You have a small rare ore mining operation one screen away from the edge of your base. It is not connected to your main base by tubes.

You dont expect to be attacked directly until your two enemies are finished with eachother so you are not in such a hurry to keep your base completely defended.

You are preparing to build a mining operation splinter colony, so your structure factory has in it: 1 Command Center, 1 Structure Factory, 1 Vehicle Factory, 1 Tokamaks, 1 Thors Hammer Guard Post.

Suddenly, your Command Center is struck by a Vortex and is destroyed. Your colony goes offline.

A few seconds later, your Vehicle Factory is struck by a meteorite and is reduced to only 3% hit points it will have to be repaired before it will come online.

The opponent closest to you notices your colony is vulnerable and launches a weak strike. Since they are fighting the other opponent, your enemy can only spare 3 Rail Gun Panthers and 1 EMP Panther.

The enemy units approaching your base are obviously headed toward your Structure Factory and your nearly destroyed Vehicle Factory.

You realize that you have 1 Convec on the loading dock of your Structure Factory and that Outpost 2 will allow you to load a Convec with a kit only once while it is offline, provided the Convec was on the pad before it lost the Command Center connection.

You have only 1 Thors Hammer Lynx at 80% hit points to defend your base with.

You have just enough time to build 1 structure before your opponents units arrive at the edge of your base.

Knowing that you can only load 1 Structure Kit into your Convec and successfully build it before the enemy units arrive, what do you do?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
An Outpost 2 Riddle
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 01:31:21 AM »
build the command center and hop the attack unit can hold them back long enough.  Repairing that factory isn't going to do you any good unless you have the command center online.  When they enter your base, the unit will start pounding on them, and hopefull the emp is the first one through.  The sooner it is out of the way, the better.  If it's a railgun, just hit it repeatedly, get it's hp down fast so it can cause a temporary bottle neck.  Also, the repair vehicle you forgot about helps :P
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline siqueule

An Outpost 2 Riddle
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 06:15:13 AM »
she's hard your riddle...
I build a tokamak, and when the ennemy units come, I destroy the tokamak with the lynx thor's hammer and they're immobilized, that leave me a few time to build some EMP and lasers lynx...

not? ;)  
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
An Outpost 2 Riddle
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 07:49:15 AM »
Well, you can still load stuff even if the SF is disabled, and move vehicles to/from it's dock. You just can't construct anything.

I would build the Thor's GP. Your first priority to make sure you stay alive (if it's an LoS). There's too much risk involved in loading your CC and moving to build it (they will likely destroy it while it's building, if they don't destroy it before it gets to the place you're going to build it). You will automatically lose then because you have no CC left.

Use an empty convec to start repairing the VF, and get another convec up to the dock to prepare to load the CC.

The key would be to make sure that the Thor weapons do not come under EMP fire at any time. They can do a lot of damage, but they're easy to kill once they get EMPed.

Another option would be to move empty convecs around as if they were getting in place to build something (i.e. a CC), the enemy might be distracted by them and go after them instead, buying you extra time.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 07:49:33 AM by op2hacker »

Offline Mez

An Outpost 2 Riddle
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 08:03:48 AM »
I beleive the clue is in the small rare ore mine one screen away, not linked by tubes.

therefore the mining colony has a CC, but being only one screen away i doubt it will have a structure factory.

You load the vech factory and take it to the mining colony and build it there (as its close by).

The thor hammer lynx to defend your main base as you produce some more lynx to fend off the rest of the attack. then when thats doen you produce an earthworker or two and link up the main base to the mining post, as its so close

Offline siqueule

An Outpost 2 Riddle
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 08:56:42 AM »
what happend if the mine is plug in the command center with tubes?  
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
An Outpost 2 Riddle
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 04:14:33 PM »
hacker and ck9: you have only one convec, no repair vehicles. even if you choose to build the cc, you still have to get your convec to repair the vehicle factory before it will produce anything, and even if you only repair it just enough to come online, the enemy units will be at your base before any vehicles can be produced.

mez: you might have it, but considering that panthers move about as fast as a convec, even if you build the vehicle factory the enemy units will be so close that you might get lucky enough to produce maybe 1 vehicle and even then, the enemy force has an emp panther.

keep trying :)

Offline Jgamer

An Outpost 2 Riddle
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 05:19:50 PM »
I'd probably do the same as Mez, except i'd send my lone Panther after the EMP baddie.
Of course, that would leave me without any Structure Factories, what'd be a giant and irreplaceable loss. Probably the best is to load the Structure factory and hope you can build at least one Thor GP with it.
Anyway, the thing is to try to disable if not completely destroy that EMP-guy and still have your lone weapon online. Probably i'd suicide other vehicles in the EMP, but from what I get I have none other? Well, that's sheer impossible. Also getting to use other vecs as obstacles would help but suiciding them on the EMP is nice too

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
An Outpost 2 Riddle
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 07:30:10 PM »
you'd have to have at least an earth worker, in which case you can use that to close the opening in your wall and use your thor's on the emp while the opponent tries to get through
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names