Author Topic: Model Preview Release 1  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Model Preview Release 1
« on: November 13, 2005, 10:26:10 PM »
Guys! Take a look at these renders I just made in Blender. Warning , VERY large resolution!

What do you guys think? :D
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 11:03:14 PM »
Looking fairly sweet but what is it?  :huh:

My first guess was a cargo truck (but the bed isn't lowered so it can hold cargo). The other part looks like a spider's leg. But then, why is it apparently floating in space? But then, the first one appears to be in a very large room of sorts.

I'm kinda wondering what these things will look like once they're skinned. :)

Offline Leviathan

Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 03:12:42 AM »
sex on a stick

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 09:46:37 AM »
its a convec, leg is a construction arm you see when you build a building
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 12:58:12 PM »
Nice finally some more info.  Looks great!  That Convecs "LEG" looks like ti could double as the spider and scorpian legs.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 01:54:30 PM »
I get a bunch of red x's :(.

Offline Voyager7456

Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 03:00:37 PM »
Looking great guys! Keep up the good work!  (thumbsup)  
You have failed, our colony is doomed.

Offline Stormy

Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 03:41:07 PM »
Lol, You are wrong! It is an Evac Transport and the Leg of a spider. The reason it is in space.. is just because it is :P :lol:.

However, the front of the evac is the same one on the cargo truck AND the ConVec, so it is parts of them all. Soon I'll look into redoing the wheel system to make it more realistic.

In my eyes, the spider's leg model should look like this ingame, But that's just me :P

Offline Leviathan

Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 03:51:08 PM »
Yep, but in future please use IrfanView etc to resize the pics before u post them thanks.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 03:58:19 PM »
Hmm.... it seems that I can't see any pictures hosted on a "http://www.username.outpostuniverse.net/" account.

Offline Stormy

Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 03:58:37 PM »
How about I find a program or something that we can use as a photo gallery on the subdomain and it also gives a link to all the images and not only that, but makes smaller versions also. Anyone know of a software that can scale plenty of images at once? (not warez :P)

Offline Leviathan

Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 04:05:54 PM »
sounds like imageshack

Offline spirit1flyer

Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 04:11:06 PM »
If I remember correctly its not legal to link pictures from imageshack to forums and that such. But I use Photobucket and its legal to link pictures to forums and websites

"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Stormy

Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 12:30:22 AM »
Then why on Imageshack does it make a link for your forums already? As long as you don't take off it's tags (for their ad) it's ok.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 01:50:38 AM »
Ahh, excellent. My second guess was an evac transport.

I'm kinda wondering what the leg would look like with an extra joint. I remember seeing some pics where the spider was sorta "hanging" from it's legs. It looked pretty cool. The legs looked somehow different but I can't quite remember how.

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 12:07:52 PM »
wow... not to be mean or anything but there could be some dramatic improvements made. My sister is learning this stuff in college, maybe i can get her to help

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 02:04:42 PM »
Well moogle they are going to a low tech approach so people that have the low end computer might beable to play.  Usually with a 3D RTS the models arent that high res like those of a FPS or MORGP (or whatever the f*** that acronym is).

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 03:55:44 PM »
It's MMORPG Freeza.  B)

I think maybe what the spider's leg needs, is a bit of variation in thickness. It looks a little too uniform. Maybe parts closer to the body could be made a bit thicker?

Offline Stormy

Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 03:55:45 PM »
And yes Moogle, We will go back and make some ULTRA high resolution models for you people who have fancy pants gfx cards. Moogle, I don't think your sister would be a good candidate for helping mainly because she has not been exposed to OP2 or the OP series. You need to have an understanding of the big picture when you are making things like this. Just to show you something Moogle, i'm going to make an ultra ultra high polygon model. The main use for the Ultra high polygon models are for Cutscenes, so yea. However, we very well could put them into the game for you guys (like I said above) with fancy pants gfx cards :P.

BTW, does anyone have some computers that can be used on a render farm via hamachi? Then you guys might get some actual animations instead of still renders :P

hamachi can run via Linux, and i have a package for people who want to help. You just need to let me know. They might not be used all that much anytime soon, but when the rendering time comes for cutscenes themselves.... wow... That will be a lot of CPU power.

What I'd be doing via Hamachi is Distribruting rendering. My computer sends the nodes (the other CPUs) the file to render, and the frame it is assigned. That computer renders it, and sends it to me (they all might be sent as a whole at the end of the rendering process, but I don't know).

The reason I'd kinda like to get this set-up is so that we can get all the bugs and truly figure out how the production "pipeline" will work for Rendering.

Stormy :op2:

(btw, Levi has used some of his computers to help me get this tested, but I'm still working out the bugs)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 05:15:52 PM »
Ohh, I'm certainly most interested in this render farm idea. Although, I'm not sure if I have a computer currently available. The computer I used to use as a linux server seems to be having difficulties with the LAN cards. I think the old card died, and the new one isn't supported or something. :( Anyways, I'll get it working eventually.

So, how long does it take to render a frame? Or a second of animation? What about the movement within the image. Is only the rendering distributed? How is movement of objects calculated? Is there a particular flavour of Linux that's supported/has instructions written for it? Is Hamachi needed or is it just one way to do it? Am I asking too many questions?  :unsure:

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 05:37:45 PM »
Well, a program compiled for Linux should work on almost all distros of Linux (provided you have all the other dependencies that it needs, eg things like ncurses, etc). (I'm talking about Hamachi here, since it's closed source)

As for the render app, I assume it's open source right? So people should have no problems there.

And yes, is Hamachi really needed for this? I don't see why it would be. Just forward the ports the program uses if necessary.

If you want, I could try to get this app set up on the main webserver, and maybe 1 or 2 other linux boxes as well, for you guys to use.

FYI: The main webserver has a lot of power: 4gb ram, 4 1.8 ghz Xeons... B)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 05:39:04 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Stormy

Model Preview Release 1
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2005, 10:36:22 PM »
Ohh, I'm certainly most interested in this render farm idea. Although, I'm not sure if I have a computer currently available. The computer I used to use as a linux server seems to be having difficulties with the LAN cards. I think the old card died, and the new one isn't supported or something. :( Anyways, I'll get it working eventually.

So, how long does it take to render a frame? Or a second of animation? What about the movement within the image. Is only the rendering distributed? How is movement of objects calculated? Is there a particular flavour of Linux that's supported/has instructions written for it? Is Hamachi needed or is it just one way to do it? Am I asking too many questions?  :unsure:
Wow :lol: Lots of questions.

I will answer them to the best of my Ability! :P

Rendering a frame depends on the resolution and the other things you have setup like anti-aliasing (which I always have on) and whatnot. Hm, rendering a 1024x768 frame woudl take like.... 5-10 seconds on my computer when I have a bunch of other crap running.

There is usually 24-30 frames per second. So, to render a second of animation assuming that the above was true, it could range from 2 min to 5 min. It's usually a LOT longer for renders with large textures, Particles, Softbodies, animation, anti-aliasing, AND motion blur. Also, teh polygon count contribrutes GREATLY to render time.

The movement of objects is done using a curve. Basically, it takes the X, Y, and Z coordinates of the origin of that object, bone or whatever, and calculates where it is at each frame. So, if you are moving from the 1 ft line to the 100 ft yard line in 100 frames, you'd be going 1 foot per frame. It uses a Graph (also known as an IPO Curve) to illustrate this. You can edit the graph directly, so it changes all of those things.
^^^ Let me know if you don't get this

I think Hacker answered your question about Linux.

Yes, Hamachi is pretty much required because this program that i'm using is made for a LAN. As you very well know (am i right here? :P), you can't really have a true LAN over the web. There are Virtural Lans like Hamachi.

*drools* you're kidding.... you can hook up the OPU server ... to help render this......  (thumbsup)  Add that to mine, Levi's computers, and maybe more .... and we have quite a render farm!

I don't want to lag the OPU website though, it's some pretty intensive rendering. Although, we won't be doing true cutscenes for a long time (many many months away... all the models and skins need to be done first :P) , I'd like to get the system tested and whatnot. We can also get some things made for you guys... maybe even a "trailer".

Dang hacker :D, that's some nice stuff you have there... I'll work on getting the rendering packages made so all you need to do is install all the stuff. Then we can get testing the system!

:D:D:D

stormy :op2:

wow B)

Edit: Go ahead and ask as many questions as you like. It helps make sure I know what I'm doing and I like to let you guys know what is going on :)  (thumbsup)  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 10:37:49 PM by Stormy »