Author Topic: Horus Chat  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Leviathan

Horus Chat
« on: November 14, 2005, 02:19:01 PM »
[ 12:02:29 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] can u post here plz
[ 12:02:42 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.php?showtopic=1672
[ 12:03:25 ]  [ DM-Horus ] just finishing up a reply to some nasty posts...
[ 12:07:37 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] ya it seams ppl r jumping on u a bit..
[ 12:07:52 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] im rly glad that ur posting and r so active allrdy
[ 12:13:47 ]  [ DM-Horus ] well ive been following the OPU since the beginning. i only really got involved when it looked like there might be some serious activity. to be honest, i was very skeptical in the beginning. ive been disappointed by endeavors like this in the past and i really didnt want the same thing to sour OP2.
[ 12:15:58 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] realy
[ 12:16:02 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] ah i c
[ 12:16:13 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] how long have u followed the forums then?
[ 12:16:50 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] i created OPU shortly before june 2004 wen we had the first reunion
[ 12:16:58 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] the forums have been around longer than that tho.
[ 12:17:12 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] and in march me and hacker took over control of them and moved to the current domain.
[ 12:18:50 ]  [ DM-Horus ] i started regularly following the place on the old forums. i remember the whole power struggle thing and when that happened i figured "its just like the others" and i didnt investigate til summer '04. since then ive been waiting to see if it would fall apart again, but it seems like things are going a lot smoother
[ 12:20:24 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] what power struggle u talkn about ?, the killer s***?
[ 12:21:09 ]  [ DM-Horus ] yeah
[ 12:21:10 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] that was the only power struggle i can think of before 04
[ 12:21:14 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] i wasent around then
[ 12:21:19 ]  [ DM-Horus ] oic
[ 12:21:21 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] ya
[ 12:21:26 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] i came in feb 03
[ 12:21:29 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] made the irc channel
[ 12:21:30 ]  [ DM-Horus ] you know killer made a hate site for opu right?
[ 12:21:37 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] no
[ 12:21:58 ]  [ DM-Horus ] yeah, i found it while searching for op2. his site had a link to opu on it and thats when i got interested again
[ 12:22:16 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] what a waist of his time
[ 12:22:37 ]  [ DM-Horus ] and i found killer's site in a guestbook on new haven command site, when it was still around
[ 12:22:54 ]  [ DM-Horus ] yeah i could see a lot of hatred there
[ 12:23:01 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] i c
[ 12:23:04 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] thats very old news tho
[ 12:23:14 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] so is the forum take over in march 05
[ 12:23:52 ]  [ DM-Horus ] yea
[ 12:23:58 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] all what matters is where we are now
[ 12:24:04 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] and where we are going
[ 12:24:35 ]  [ DM-Horus ] i agree
[ 12:24:57 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] realy i created opu
[ 12:25:07 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] i have no idea where the outpost comunity would be now with out me
[ 12:25:28 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] im not trying to be big headed, just stating the fact
[ 12:25:33 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] and leting u know
[ 12:26:13 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] wen i first came to the forums people where anoyed at me for allways trying to get peple on irc
[ 12:26:21 ]  [ DM-Horus ] no, i know.
[ 12:26:29 ]  [ DM-Horus ] i dont know what id do without irc now.
[ 12:26:36 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] i even got baned from the PA forums for spaming them so much
[ 12:26:53 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] i wanted to bring the few people at the pa forums to us
[ 12:27:12 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] the op comunity is so small, people/infomation/everythign should b in 1 place
[ 12:27:46 ]  [ DM-Horus ] where are you looking to mine new ppl?
[ 12:27:57 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] mine, as in get new members?
[ 12:28:26 ]  [ DM-Horus ] yep
[ 12:28:49 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] well once we r ready we hope to go on an offencive and post on many forums and wherevea
[ 12:29:13 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] were simply not ready tet
[ 12:29:14 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] yet
[ 12:29:49 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] there is still a small number of people who do real work
[ 12:30:01 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] the wiki needs a huge amount of work etc
[ 12:30:40 ]  [ DM-Horus ] in what areas?
[ 12:30:44 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] every
[ 12:32:31 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] but do u understand our goal?
[ 12:32:40 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] to get ready to try and expand
[ 12:34:42 ]  [ DM-Horus ] it seems to me like the community is somewhat splintered
[ 12:34:57 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] ah yes i did read that pm u sent me
[ 12:35:12 ]  [ DM-Horus ] like theres groups of people working on their own projects but not really contributing to the core. i consider the wiki to be core and not many people have contributed to it
[ 12:35:28 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] ok i c what u mean
[ 12:35:49 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] a side project like op3 gen
[ 12:35:56 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] like i said in that poll topic
[ 12:36:24 ]  [ DM-Horus ] the op3 thing offended me at first because there was no information present on it. all the info went to dead links and the subdir for op3 is still down so i couldnt glean anything more from those threads.
[ 12:37:01 ]  [ DM-Horus ] so lacking any solid info on the project, it seemed to me like the op3 team was more or less taking advantage of the community resources. thats what had me fired up.
[ 12:37:07 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] well the people working on the project release info wen they r ready
[ 12:37:15 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] i c
[ 12:37:26 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] have u looked at the gen site now?
[ 12:37:27 ]  [ DM-Horus ] theyve release alot, nobody can view it is all.
[ 12:37:41 ]  [ DM-Horus ] i havent tried in a couple days
[ 12:39:38 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] n e other ways u think it is splinterd
[ 12:39:40 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] ?
[ 12:41:36 ]  [ DM-Horus ] im noticing a LOT of new forum members but very little new posts.
[ 12:41:45 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] that has allways been the case
[ 12:41:54 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] the same with people joining, and not seen again a month later
[ 12:42:07 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] its allways been the thing which anoyies me n hacker the most
[ 12:42:34 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] even old players who have come on the forums and said IM BACK!!!! r gone a motnh later
[ 12:42:35 ]  [ DM-Horus ] the line between op2 dev and op3 dev is very defined. i think some of the effort being done on op3 could be used to improved op2 multi stuff but thats just an opinion.
[ 12:43:45 ]  [ DM-Horus ] like i said, ive seen this happen before. if op2 deve falls apart the op3 dev wont have its resources and both will collapse. how many people are working on op2?
[ 12:44:20 ]  [ DM-Horus ] the way im seeing things might just be due to an excess of forum activity on the parts of some members making it seem like theres more going on.
[ 12:44:47 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] [ 12:29:49 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] there is still a small number of people who do real work
[ 12:45:32 ]  [ DM-Horus ] you and hacker do most of it it seems :P
[ 12:45:37 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] i have no real number, thats prolly a issue to be addressed, we should have a wiki page for every1 who is working on somthing to post
[ 12:45:54 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] yep.. manily hacker cuz he can actualy program
[ 12:46:01 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] hooman has done a lot of great work
[ 12:46:07 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] and eddy has done lots
[ 12:46:25 ]  [ DM-Horus ] o yea eddy
[ 12:46:58 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] im gonna post this convo in the opu team forum. maybe after to the public.
[ 12:47:28 ]  [ DM-Horus ] what for? to show ppl that im really not a snarling troll? :P
[ 12:47:57 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] hmm, to c how i and u c things.
[ 12:48:03 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] to show *
[ 12:48:43 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] basicly so hacker can read it
[ 12:49:32 ]  [ DM-Horus ] yea that sounds good. another thing, i can see why you wanted to push irc so much. once i got on irc and really got involved the goal of opu became more clear. i think if more ppl got "in" enough to learn the goal, the place would be alot more active.
[ 12:49:53 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] ya some ppl just use the forums
[ 12:50:00 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] and ive never considerd them involved
[ 12:50:14 ]  [ OPU|Leviathan ] well lecture is over. bye

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Horus Chat
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 04:09:02 PM »
hm, Well the subdomain is back up now :P

The reason why I truly believe OP3: genesis isn't going to fail, is because it is a community project. Yes there is a "core team" working on the coding and whatnot, but the Whole community plays a part in it. If one person drops out, it's ok, because the rest of the community can cover it. However, I for sure am not going to drop out, and I'm positive it's the same with the other core members. We all have made a commitment, and we plan on keeping it.

Another reason why, is because if we release everything all at once, the creators will lose interest in the project, and so, it will fail. If we don't release it all at once, then there is "pressure" on the members and it keeps the motivation up. Without motivation, there is no motive, and in turn, no project. Each time something new is made/coded, it boosts MY motivation and I'm sure it's the same for many other people involved in the development. In the end, This looks like it will be Open source (although it isn't exactly that now).

Also, there is a community here that supports the project and also helps keep motivation and interest up using New ideas and discussions. It isn't just the core team. It's All of us in this boat together, and we aren't going to sink like many else have.

Stormy :op2:
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Leviathan

Horus Chat
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 02:18:03 AM »
One of the main reasons i posted this is so people can c what i think.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Horus Chat
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 01:47:35 PM »
I want to see this site so I can laugh at killer, lol

and lev, you don't really see me as involved?  lol, I guess it's true now, 'cause I keep getting bussy with school work everytime I try to start something (IOW, i didn't forget about remaking the OP2vid, I just got a s*** load of work.  Chemical engineering major, ya know.  And the four year plan says I have C++ programming class in my second year :D )
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 01:53:32 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Horus Chat
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 03:37:48 PM »
Not enough time? Maybe you should switch to a 5 year plan?  :ph34r:

/me prepares the goulags in anticipation.

Yeah, for interest sake, I think I want to see that website. I've never knew this killer person, and I'm kinda interested in this whole deal.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Horus Chat
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 05:04:52 PM »
yeah, I'd like to see it too. I was around when the whole Killer crisis happened, and didn't know he made a hate site.

It's not surprising in the least though. He was, by all definitions, a 'n00b,' your typical kiddie.

Hooman, you get the "How we got so far?" thread in General? it talks about the killer crisis in more detail, if you want to know.

Offline lordly_dragon

Horus Chat
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 05:23:53 PM »
maan i read the whole horus levi speech and i came to 2 conclusion

dm-horus do some work then you can talk about experience... in the same way (2nd conclusion) the wiki no one want to work on it because it is a good information mine but... it is boring as hell to copy and paste opu web site content...a

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Horus Chat
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 06:08:07 PM »
I've read that thread on "How We Got So Far". It qas quite interesting.

As for the wiki, I like the idea, but it seems kinda disorganized whenever I go there. I think some sort of index or contents should be more prominent. Plus, some of the topics I saw on there I either wondered why they were even there or what the difference was between topics with similar titles. It just seems too disorganized, and I don't feel incredibly willing to put work into an article that's just going to get lost in a mess.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Horus Chat
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 07:08:04 PM »
Well, Killer needs to calm down about this whole issue before it becomes a major issue. Killer, why the heck WOULD you make a hate site for OPU? We all should go talk to him.

stormy :op2:
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Leviathan

Horus Chat
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 02:05:18 AM »
all u have to do is add to the cat and it wont be not seen or lost..

just sounds like ur making more excuses

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Horus Chat
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 11:33:31 AM »
lol, lev

Hooman, there's no way in HELL I'm going to stay here for 5 years if I can get done in 4!  unless I need 1 more year to take the 2 courses that seperate chem and envi engineering, 'cause I am thinking of double majoring
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Horus Chat
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 12:52:15 PM »
As a general response, I saw DM-Horus's various posts as a direct attack on myself and the other 3 team leaders for OP3. I was directly offended and overreacted. I saw you as someone who just showed up and started telling me what I was doing wrong without having any information.

There were a lot of problems over the past two weeks with subdomains and whatnot being kicked around, lost, etc so the Genesis subdomain was dead for awhile. Any links to the Genesis subdomain were dead links (they're all active now). Either way, there was still a lot of information available.

Point being that I was offended possibly because DM-Horus was upset for one reason or another.

But I would like to stress that the OP3 project is being very well planned and will come to fruition at some point next year. I have a gameplan setup and it will run the course of 2006. Definite project development will begin January 1st, 2006.

For the time being, we are all coming up with various things to help keep us motivated. Right now I've been doing experimental programing. There is no real coding that's been happening in terms of OP3's engine. We've got, instead, a series of programs testing out the refresh engine that will be integrated with the Video module as well as several proprietary tools to help us create all of the game content.

Anyway, enough about that.

But I do have to say, Leviathan, you're certainly tooting your own horn over there ("I don't know where we'd be without me"). But yeah, where would we be without you, hacker, hooman and so on.

As far as the Wiki is concerned, I'm in the process of writting an OP2 Mapping Tutorial for Beginners that'll step anyone without programming knowledge through the process of downloading and installing a basic compiler, writing the code needed for OP2 to load and run a new map, how to create a basic map, some of the pitfalls and incomplete features of the available tools, naming conventions and how to package and publish a new map or map pack.

So I've been doing a lot of contributing to this community from three programs to WIKI updates/contributions. I don't know if people recognize how much I may have done but it would be nice sometimes to hear that what I've been doing is valued. And, DM-Horus, I understand and agree with the idea of contributing to the work that's being done for OUTPOST 2 but OP2 is not the only game in the series. While OP1 was not liked as much as OP2 and it wasn't multiplayer, OP1 is the game that started it all and I think a lot of people forget that.

And, since SIERRA is done (it's nothing more than a name) and VU seems to have no interest in the Outpost series, I find it perfectly fit to extend the series with a new game that utilizes modern technology. Yeah, it's 3D. But 3D doesn't mean a bad game is in store and it doesn't mean that I personally would ever allow uber-thor's entrance into the game. At least not in the original (MOD's are an entirely different story) <yeah, OP3 will support easily added MODing>. So I would appreciate, not just from you, but from anybody new who might be reading this and has questions or suggestions or concerns or whatever to look at what's being provided, understand that we're all here for the same reason, that we're all just as good as anybody else no matter what skills we may or may not posses and that we all just need to have fun. I forgot that a few days ago but I'm remember and I would hope that I'm not the only member here to believe that.

Offline Tellaris

Horus Chat
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 02:51:02 PM »
Just to say, the one of the reasons thor might work on new terra... thin atmosphere, less particles to absorb the shock.
You can still have thor's hammer, just that it wouldn't be so powerful.   There are ways to dissipitate such energy.
As for the killer site, I would like a link, so I could see how dumb this guy is.

And, its been said to death, and I'm gonna say it again.   Whatch what you say, carefully, lest you offend the wrong people.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 02:51:51 PM by Baikon »
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Leviathan

Horus Chat
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 03:02:41 PM »
Leeor I didnt mean the comunity would be dead or doing realy badily if i wasnt here i just mean i dont know how well it would be doing and what developments would have happened. I beleive ive helped a lot to move the comunity forward. IRC, OPU site, Wiki (donno y no1 thought of it b4) etc.

And Leeor i sure consider you one of the main workers. Ive allways been so glad to have you with us, same with other people.

Not forgeting im glad that every person is here but it would be nice if more people helped out.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Horus Chat
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 03:35:15 PM »
Yeah, it's great to get more people to help out.

I think Horus will be a good contribution to the community in helping out with development, writing pages, etc.

The nasty comments we can all try to forget, he probably wasn't aware that it would offend people.