Author Topic: Banning, and Violation of TOS  (Read 3790 times)

Offline Luweeg64

• http://gcuco.netfirms.com
Banning, and Violation of TOS
« on: April 28, 2004, 07:16:23 AM »
Don't you think contacting someone's ISP is a little much? Why don't you just put on a block on that person ip address?

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 07:18:37 AM »
I think that's what he does, only it works better. (No IP Ban is perfect.)  When he contacts the IP, he tells them not to allow that person to access this domain.

Phantom

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 09:18:10 AM »
Yah, contacting the ISP is a better way of banning someone.

If you block the IP, the banned person could use Altavista Babelfish, or an anonymous browser to still access the site. I have had that on my site on several occassions.

Offline Luweeg64

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 11:45:24 AM »
But say that Xfir would ban me, and contact my ISP. Then if Garrett would come down to my house he couldn't access the web site.

xfir

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 12:27:21 PM »
Thats a consequence you have to face.

I don't like banning IPs or IP Ranges because no IP is truly set. They change every now and then (including DSL).

The only ones that do not are dedicated, and are usually expensive.

Offline selfdestruct

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 12:50:31 PM »
There is however a loop hole. if u use cable as your internet provider your ip is constantly changing. such do i know because it changes from time to time.
OUTPOST OBSESSION IS CONTAGIOUS

Phantom

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 02:52:21 PM »
Another loophole is anonymous browsing such as megaproxy or safeweb.

Yah, on my forums, I have had trouble with idiots who don't obey the rules and have found ways to come back even when I ban them.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 03:44:02 PM »
IP banning has failed ever since (f)lamers found out how to use proxy servers. They almost never work.

There's one trick I know to ban someone, but it only works if they don't know about it, and it might only last for a little while. I'm not going to say anything else about it so that more of those morons don't find out about it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 03:44:58 PM by Arklon »

Kiler

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 07:04:31 PM »
Well the contacting ISP wouldn't really work because of the Bill Clinton's privacy act. It says that if you are a user of the boards, you may not threaten the ISP or anything else like that.

Banning is much better in the following way:

You must be verified by the admin to post on the boards!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 07:09:16 PM by Kiler »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 07:34:49 PM »
Um, the admin is not really a "user" of the board... There is no legal implication that suggests that he cannot contact someone's ISP.... if they've violated a site's terms the admin of that site has every right to contact the violator's ISP and tell them they've misused the site.

When someone wrongly uses someone else's capital..... the "victim" can get justice, if there is proof.

We as administrators have to uphold that.... for example, would you let a burglar into your house and stand back while he steals everything? (assume he is unarmed, and you don't care)

Same thing.... if we let people that can't follow the rules here, they'll bring the forum down.... the most effective way is to tell their ISP.

btw.... for a while it was admin verification however that became a lot for us when there was a big registration boom. So we switched it to email verification.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 07:39:28 PM by op2hacker »

xfir

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 08:44:31 PM »
Contacting an ISP is not the same as "threatening" them. I would do no such thing. I merely report the user's abuse of the website in question (in this case mine).

Kiler

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 10:01:10 PM »
There are smarter people that would always use a proxy :-p

Offline Luweeg64

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 06:58:23 AM »
Okay, now if you would let the ISP know about abuse, and they block someone from the wrong site, would you contact your own ISP to have them un-block sites?

Also, would they block you from anything, if they had complaints? Or just forums and the such?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 06:59:14 AM by Luweeg64 »

Phantom

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2004, 08:52:39 PM »
Probably just the site on which you were reported.

I have a great example of abuse: Ameranth RPG. The site had over 3000 members, and because one or two of them were creating so much trouble (Through Violating Terms of Service, Rules, and such) that the admin had to permenately close down the site.

Sadly, the site no longer exists. It was started in 1994 and ended in 2003.
A funny thing though, it was my brother's idiot friends that destroyed it.