Author Topic: OMG: :|  (Read 5409 times)

Offline BWDuo

OMG: :|
« on: April 05, 2004, 10:38:20 AM »
I think OP2 is THE BEST rpg and I am looking forward to OP3, but looking at your rate of developement it'll take .... forever. I am expienced with C# and VB.net is there a way I can help with OP3?

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 10:40:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum's. I can't really answer that question, but as this is your first post I just wanted to welcome you to the forum's.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 11:17:55 AM »
you should go to http://op3.xfir.net and send garret an email.  (I almost said knux there, lol.)  as for OP2 being an RPG, since when?  It's a stratedgy/action/shooter by all sources I have found (including by the review I bashed)
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 11:21:43 AM »
Lol, I didn't even catch that CK9. Yes I agree with you, OP2 is definitely not an RPG. Make sure to download the demo's and the launcher that Garrett has. It may not be on his site (I'm not sure), but look through these post's and you'll find them.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 05:26:29 PM »
He's using GameStudio A4, so the game core isn't written in other languages.

You're best off to not use .Net as its MUCH MUCH slower and you have to install .Net Framework on any computer that uses it.

However if you used API dll's you could write him some networking code.

Offline Zircon

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 06:23:11 PM »
C# isnt that bad, the .net framework will soon become standard (as in it comes with the package either you like it or not)

The reason C# is so slow on certain operations (up to 20x slower) is due to a native bug concerning boxing & unboxing.
Also many get confused by the fact that C# applications need to compile before they are run due to the CLR making it very very slow the first time you run it which invalidates many tests on the web.
The second time you run it however the speeds are of course lower then c++ but not by very much.

Im not familiar with VB.net so i cannot make a judgement on that part...

My 2 cents...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 06:24:39 PM by Zircon »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 06:57:38 PM »
It's too OOP for me.

Some OOP is good but I absolutely HATE languages that don't have any global variables or functions. Like Java. (You say System is a global class... well, can you create global functions? (ie. methods that are exactly like C functions - accessible to the whole program) Nope.)

Offline Zircon

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 07:07:50 PM »
Perhaps not, but when you get used to the lack of "full" global functions it doesn't matter (very) much as you can just use a different approach.

Offline Luweeg64

• http://gcuco.netfirms.com
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 07:42:54 AM »
Yes I agree with you, OP2 is definitely not an RPG. Make sure to download the demo's and the launcher that Garrett has. It may not be on his site (I'm not sure), but look through these post's and you'll find them.
IF anything OP2 is a RTS, or real time stradegy. Garrett's site has been down since x changed the server tho, so I have no clue on how to access it.

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 07:50:20 AM »
check the download topic.

Offline knux

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 11:27:27 PM »
It's too OOP for me.

Some OOP is good but I absolutely HATE languages that don't have any global variables or functions. Like Java. (You say System is a global class... well, can you create global functions? (ie. methods that are exactly like C functions - accessible to the whole program) Nope.)
The only thing worse is a programming language that wasn't object oriented originally and was changed so it's more object oriented. That just stuffs things up further.

Java? Talk about slow......
And Javascript is a mess, how it jumps here, there, everywhere.

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 07:01:49 AM »
Um... This is really getting off topic, so I'm going to move it to the off topic forum.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 07:16:35 AM »
Yeah, I agree that Javascript is too messed up.

There should be one common Document Object Model, instead of having to detect the browser and then, and ONLY then do you call browser specific methods.

It's too picky with errors as well.

C++ is fine with classes, but "legitimate" uses are for example, in game entities (like the way they did OP2... that was fine)

However don't go using MFC. That is the worst programming toolkit I've ever seen in my life.

Offline BWDuo

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 01:06:33 PM »
dot net is still slow, and its M$IL ... really hope there will be processors supporting M$IL more. Sorry ’bout "RPG" :).  I cant help with anything different from .net. Sorry.

Seems I'll still have to wait for an eternatie for OP3 :D  

btw? why isnt there forum mail (you reply -> I receive a mail)?

--------------------------------------

C++ is defenitly the BEST programming language.
But it is also the most unsufisticated and poluted language.
I only need '2' lines of code to make a form in C#
C++ needs '10,000'.
You need to check a variable before you can even start to think about changing the text displayed by a textbox :S
C++ still not puts all its functions in classes.
The best thing about c++ is the holy *pointer*. C# does support 'unsafe' classes (classes with user defined pointers) but MSJITD and the garbage collector meshes everything up.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 01:16:05 PM by BWDuo »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 01:10:56 PM »
To automatically turn on the notification for all the topics you start or reply to go to My Controls > Edit Email Settings > check Email Notification.

You can subscribe any topic by going to that topic and at the top right under the topic header there is a Track This Topic link.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2004, 04:45:26 PM »
IF anything OP2 is a RTS, or real time stradegy.
isn't that basically an elaboration on what I said?
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Coconut Monkey

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2004, 12:38:34 PM »
Say what? Since when are methods not capable of being accessible to the whole program in Java?

Or is it too late and my brain is misintepreting something......... :blink:  
Minmaxing the world since '82

"Making it all make sense." - Windows 3.0 Reference Manual

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2004, 04:11:08 PM »
That's not true about making a window.... you can create a window (from a dialog resource) with 1 line of code, for example:
Code: [Select]
hWnd = CreateDialog(hInst,MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDD_DIALOG),NULL,DialogProc);
Destroying the window is done with even less code.

Of course you have to put your own code in DialogProc but that's no different than "Events" or whatever they're called in C# or VB.NET.

Coco: Like, there isn't really a good way to make for example, a static procedure that can be accessed from anywhere in the program without having to first instantiate the class that it's living in. Sure, you can declare program wide methods in a common class and create a global instance of it, but you shouldn't have to.

The only thing like this is the methods of the System class.

It would be much easier if it had a "static" or "extern" keyword like C++.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 04:13:47 PM by op2hacker »