16 (41%)
Microbe
5 (12.8%)
Gemini
0 (0%)
New Haven (almost forgot...)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Which colony is the best?  (Read 47152 times)

Offline juedino

Which colony is the best?
« on: March 16, 2004, 05:38:18 PM »
Hey anyone.
Which colony do you like best?
I think Eden has the military advantage, but plymouth has some heavy hitters to.
By the way, anyone wanting to play a game let me know. I want to play some Outpost2 baby!
 :op2:  

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 05:56:46 PM »
I play op2 wen evea i have the chanch. best way 2 get a game with me is 2 get on the forum chat room, #Outpost2 on QuakeNet if ur familiar with IRC.
if not download this

the best wep in the game are thor's and only eden have them. but but but in 90% of games, eg 1v1s, small maps (128x128 or 256x256) etc eden simply wont last to get them.
reason for this? a Ply microwave which is upgraded near the start of the game will own a Eden laser.
if u start playin full time ur b using Ply not Eden

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 11:50:21 PM »
I generally like playing long games with Eden. I rarely ever play short games or use Plymouth. Mind you, I don't get to play multiplayer much.

That and the Eden structures are just more interesting to look at.  ;)

And yes, Lasers do kinda suck and I hate being stuck with them for any period of time.

Offline Kiith Somtaaw

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 03:49:01 AM »
I still prefer Eden over Plymouth.

Offline Kal

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 03:56:02 PM »
Both Eden and Plymouth have their strong points.  Thor's Hammer is hands down the most powerful weapon around.

Back in high school (and then one day a few months ago) a Friend and I used to play a lot of Op2 games together.  He would always play as Eden, and I would switch between the two.

I won more with Eden, because of the sheer power - but I found that playing as Plymouth was a lot more fun!  Ever smiled with glee as you stole all of your opponent's ConVecs and Cargo Trucks as you blast his Vehicle Factory to smitherines with a Supernova?

Playing Eden you have the same basic approach - overwhelm your enemy.  Plymouth's lack of a killer weapon (such as the Thor's Hammer) forces you to experiment with ways to make up for that lack.  Guerrila tactics and theft are much more fun than simply blowing up your enemy.

After I introduced my friend to the Thor's Hammer by levelling his entire colony with one small wave, he couldn't understand why I ever chose to play as Plymouth...until I turned around and cleaned his clock just as badly, with different tactics.

And besides, why build Thor's when you can just steal them and bolster your Plymoth Vehicle Fleet?  :D
"You have failed...our Colony is Doomed."

Offline juedino

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 02:44:42 PM »
ya plymouth is pretty superior. Besides, you can take all of eden's weapons by using spiders!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 02:44:56 PM by juedino »

Offline Duckie

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2004, 03:59:03 AM »
he, yeah :D

granted it was years since I played (still trying to get the game again)
But I always loved playing plymouth best.
Once when playing with a friend, I didn't build and troops at all, just spiders, and all the upgrades for them, and just waited for mah mate to attack.

So when he came he was all like mocking me cauce I couldn't see any troops, then I sen't out like 1 billion spiders on him and pretty much took everysingle vehicle he had  :lol:

Know you can't usually can't play like that, but still, was damn funny to do ^_^

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 10:47:37 AM »
I like the philosophy of the plymouth colony.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 11:59:41 AM »
Philosophy? What part of the philosophy do you like? I llike Eden because of sheer power of the thor hammer. (thumbsup)  
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 02:11:23 PM »
The philosophy that, instead of trying to change the planet to what it isn't, they should try to live on it with how it is.  Eden's philosophy is that they should control all and the planet should change to suit them.
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 02:31:43 PM »
I see your point, but if you can make things better for yourself, why not try? We do it all the time here on Earth and we wouldn't be as far advanced if we didn't.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 03:28:50 PM »
which is what sickens me.  Technological advancement is our decline, yet few realize the dangers it posses.  Instead of using only what we need and nothing more like our primitive ancestors, we waste a lot of stuff.
CK9 in outpost

Offline Kiith Somtaaw

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004, 05:30:49 PM »
I think Plymouth are a bunch of hippies,  with wanting peace and that :lol:

And Eden is a group of intellectuals, thus them love technology. :D

If I was to put into a colony I would chose Eden.  :)  

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2004, 07:40:46 PM »
Eden is a group of power hungry jerks, plymouth is a group of people who can see the natural beauty of a place and appritiate all the parts of it.  If you've ever been rock climbing at someplace like Joshua National Park, you'd understand this.  Eden would look at it and say, "Let's change the landscape and take all the resources we can find."  Plymouth would see it for it's true natural value and beauty.  You should see
it at sunset, the sun slowly decending behind the 130' cliff that you just spen most of the day rappeling down. (we need a happy crying smiley)  It's beautiful.
CK9 in outpost

Offline Kiith Somtaaw

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2004, 07:59:27 PM »
Sure if Eden was on earth or any other M-Class Planet, I'm sure they would try to preserve the natural beauty of the Planet.

But they are on New Terra, A Cold, Dry, Nearly Airless, derelict Planet,
With nothing but Natural Disasters for them to look at.

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2004, 08:02:53 PM »
Yeah, but who caused the natural disasters.  If Eden didn't try, there would be NO problems!!!

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2004, 07:02:27 AM »
The world was a reck when they got there. They tried to make it better. If you never try, then you will never succeed.

Offline Kiith Somtaaw

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2004, 07:40:55 AM »
Disasters of New Terra

Natural Disasters...

1. Volcano
2. Earthquake
3. Lighting Storm
4. Vortex
5. Meteorite

Natural Disasters are caused by the Planet itself.

Man Made Disasters...

1. The Blight

The Blight is the only Disaster Eden Made.

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2004, 07:48:45 AM »
Yes, but CK's look at it will be that there were only 5 disasters when they got there and now there are 6. But if we never do anything to better our lives, then we will be in the stone age forever.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2004, 11:51:42 AM »
What!?  I never said that!

and it is true that Eden caused the disasters.  The planet was, for lack of a better word, hibernating.  When Eden started Terra-forming, it awoke the planet and the natural disasters started happening.  (read the in-game novella people!)
CK9 in outpost

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2004, 12:01:10 PM »
I know that you never said that, but I'm 2 steps ahead and I knew what a response would be from you. Do you disagree that you didn't think that at all?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2004, 01:34:13 PM »
no, I dissagree.  The planet was old, and non-functioning when it came to disasters.  When Eden started Terra-Forming, it caused the planet to awaken with the furry of the disasters it had hidden.
CK9 in outpost

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2004, 01:42:56 PM »
I meant do you disagree with what I thought you would say.

Yes, but CK's look at it will be that there were only 5 disasters when they got there and now there are 6.

This is what I thought you'd say. They didn't know that that would happen. If you play it safe all the time, you won't get very far life.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2004, 04:02:35 PM »
it's okay to take risks, but you can't go messing around with technology that you do not fully comprehend.
CK9 in outpost

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2004, 08:38:26 PM »
Terraforming is an admirable goal, but many risks shouldn't be overlooked.

But I'll vote for Plymouth because Plymouth's structures look cooler. :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 08:38:58 PM by Arklon »