Author Topic: Hmm I need help  (Read 8973 times)

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
Hmm I need help
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2004, 12:03:33 PM »
The only difference between a Pentium 2 266 and a Celeron 300 is that it has a higher clock, has half the cache, and Dual mobo capabilitys has been disabled.

I know. But, to enable the dual thingy a processor hack is needed. You have to run a wire from a pin to another. I don't remember which ones it was.
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline Coconut Monkey

Hmm I need help
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2004, 05:12:50 AM »
The only difference between a Pentium 2 266 and a Celeron 300 is that it has a higher clock, has half the cache, and Dual mobo capabilitys has been disabled.

I know. But, to enable the dual thingy a processor hack is needed. You have to run a wire from a pin to another. I don't remember which ones it was.
Don't remember that......I think the main selling point of the board was it's ability to enable dual processors without any physical mods on the CPUs.
Minmaxing the world since '82

"Making it all make sense." - Windows 3.0 Reference Manual

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Hmm I need help
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2004, 02:39:00 PM »
The processor doesnt dictate whether multiple CPU's can be used.. that's determined by the mobo and the OS.

However some processors are designed to be more efficient when in a multiprocessor environment.... an early example is the Pentium Pro....

There is no real need for multiple processors in a Workstation class environment.... however if you're running a server that would need that... you wouldn't use Celeron anyway.... probably a more Server class CPU like the Pentium Xeon.

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
Hmm I need help
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2004, 07:33:27 PM »
The Pentium 2 266 is just a Pentium Pro/ Pentium MMX hybird CPU. So, because the secound generation celeron is just a faster version of the Pentium 2 266 it has Dual capabilities like the Pentium Pro. It's not as good as a Xeon, but then again I'm cheap :P and it's fun just to brag when a person has a Dual mobo  :lol:. Hmm, it seems we're getting off topic. I think it'll be kind of cool to have another forum just devoted to talking about hardware. I can see it now.... 1000's of hits per day and many new users who go to the site just to talk about hardware, but then they see that a great game is also being play'd every sunday in the sites very own chat room..... whoops difting off  :rolleyes:  
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline Coconut Monkey

Hmm I need help
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2004, 08:50:54 PM »
The processor doesnt dictate whether multiple CPU's can be used.. that's determined by the mobo and the OS.
I think you'll find that it does. For example, AthlonXPs can (or could) be modded to work in a dual CPU configuration (they normally wouldn't work by default - you needed an Athlon-MP).

Dual CPUs are largely useless for general desktop and gaming purposes. Sure is nice to brag about though. :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 08:53:33 PM by Coconut Monkey »
Minmaxing the world since '82

"Making it all make sense." - Windows 3.0 Reference Manual