Author Topic: OutpostHD v0.8.6 Released!  (Read 2465 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
OutpostHD v0.8.6 Released!
« on: April 25, 2022, 05:57:45 PM »
OutpostHD v0.8.6 has been released!

Fixes a number of issues since the last release. Interim release before research is implemented.

What's New
  • Added a button to the FileIO window that allows the user to open the savegame directory easily instead of having to manually navigate to it

What's Changed
  • New and improved Planet animations in the planet selection state

Bugs Fixed
  • Fix an issue in the Take Me There button code that would allow users to exploit the structure window to build surface structures underground and vice versa
  • Fix an issue in the path finding code that would prevent more than one mine from accessing a smelter
  • Fix Mine Facility incorrectly setting 'mine exhausted' flag instead of storage pool being full
  • Fix an out of bounds crash in the click handler for the notification area
  • Fix a potential crash when enlarging the game window (map view now forces bounds validation)
  • Fix a crash caused by incorrect behavior leading to null pointer dereference when selecting a robot that isn't actually available

Gimme Gimme! Where do I get it?

Full release including assets available now on Github: https://github.com/OutpostUniverse/OPHD/releases/tag/v0.8.6

Many thanks and much appreciate to those who have helped by posting suggestions and assisting with code development! Couldn't have done this without your efforts!

Your help is very much appreciated!

Offline thehandy

Re: OutpostHD v0.8.6 Released!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 07:08:34 PM »
I used to play the original Outpost back in the 90s, I LOVED that game. Super stoked I stumbled on this remake of the game, thanks for all the work you've put into it! I've downloaded and built from source, and tried playing a bit. I've found a few bugs, incomplete items, or suggestions for further features. If you're open to community code submissions, I'm happy to take crack at implementing some of these. Please let me know if you'd mind if I submitted. If you're open to it, some of these are straightforward and I can dive in, for some of the more complicated ones I'd like to chat a bit and align on expectations.

1) (Bug?) When placing surface tubes, attempting to place on non-dozed terrain will silently fail. Buildings will give a helpful error in the same circumstances, tubes should too.

2) I tried following the developer's guide forum post, and there are a few things that seem a little out of date. I had to make some tweaks to make it work. I don't mind writing up my findings and submitting some change suggestions, if you'd like.

3) Need a way to see building information before construction - perhaps right click over the buildings in lower left? I'm happy to take a stab at implementation.

4) (Bug) Pathing error where buildings are not recognized as not connected to command center. I only got it to do this once, and am working on replicating the situation. If this is a known bug in work, please let me know and I won't worry about it.

5) No help button in the in-game menu, you have to go to the main menu to see the help. Suggest a link in-game as well as the main menu.

6) It's difficult to see where resources are going each turn, it makes it difficult to estimate when I'll be resource positive from one turn to another. Would like some kind of breakdown for where resources go, it seems random if I'm going to be losing or gaining resources. On the "F1" screen, this might be a good window.

7) Users guide could explain the game mechanics, like do I need a smelter for my mine to get resources?

8) Truck description is ipsum lorem, picture not implemented.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 10:05:33 PM »
Heh, indeed. Much like the original, it's still a work in progress.  ;)

Contributions are most welcome. We try to keep most development out in the open on GitHub, so hopefully that encourages people to take a look and maybe contribute something if they see an opportunity. Most of the pending tasks are documented in GitHub Issues. A few discussions happen on Discord, though if there were any important points they usually make it into a GitHub Issue comment.

Offline thehandy

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 08:15:31 AM »
Can you post a link to the discord channel?

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 09:36:02 AM »
This should work: https://discord.gg/Dy6rJtgE
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline thehandy

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 03:24:54 PM »
got it, thanks!

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 10:45:14 PM »
Eyyyyy!  :D

Saw you on Discord, sorry I didn't get to this sooner.

Have some good suggestions/thoughts here, will respond when I have a bit more time.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 09:14:28 PM »
leeor, Hooman,

Glad to see activity again on OutpostHD on GitHub. Looking forward to trying out the next release with research in it.

-Brett

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 12:26:01 PM »
Same

So far the researched technologies do actually have an effect on what structures are available. Next I need to add a UI to set research topics, add more unlockable structures. Then allow for game play modifiers.

Then I can make a release and move on to add the space port and space technologies.