Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Blood Red Skies

Hello
« on: July 10, 2020, 09:11:48 PM »
New member here. Just found this site while trying to find a way to run my old Outpost CD. Happy I found your site.

Can anyone help me get my game up and running on Windows 7? I'm not tech saavy at all and could use help.

Also - there's an Outpost 2?  Is it any good?

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 02:24:44 PM »
Welcome to the forums!

I think there are a couple of threads on getting Outpost to work, although I'm not super familiar with the process.

Outpost 2 is a great game. It is a real time strategy / colony management instead of the turn based game of Outpost 1. So if you are looking for an enhanced version of Outpost 1 it may be a let down. You can buy a copy of Outpost 2 off of GoG fairly cheap if interested in checking it out.

-Brett

Offline Blood Red Skies

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 06:31:54 PM »

Thank you!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 07:04:07 AM »
Hello and welcome.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 09:14:29 PM »
If you happen to be running a 32-bit version of Windows, you won't need to do much to get it running natively. Unfortunately, the vast majority of users are running 64-bit versions of windows which means you'll need to emulate an environment that Outpost can run it.

We used to offer it as a downloadable package but since Activision published Outpost 2 on GoG, we had to disable the downloads of both games.

That stated, since you have the CD, that'll make things a bit easier. You'll need to download DOSBox and a Windows 3.11 ISO file (I don't know how far I can go in terms of pushing links but suffice it to say a google search will yield good results for safe downloads of Windows 3.11).

You'll also need to get S3 SuperVGA graphics drivers for Windows 3.x. This is a reasonably good guide for setting up DOSBox and Windows 3.x (https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=9405).

After you've got Windows 3.x booting in DOSBox, you'll need to map your CD drive in DOSBox. You can then go through and run the setup program within Windows.

DOSBox can be a bit daunting to work with so I'd recommend a front-end. I personally like D-Fend Reloaded but you can find a bunch of other front ends here: https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxFrontends

One thing you'll want to do to help the game run as well as it can without bogging down your machine is to set DOSBox cycles to 'max' which will set it to automatically run as many cycles as it can on your machine. If you look at the DOSBox config file, look for
Code: [Select]
[cpu]
section and change
cycles=whatever
to
cycles=whatever

Hoping all of this helps.