Author Topic: Outpost 2 is now on GOG  (Read 7391 times)

Offline tytbone

Outpost 2 is now on GOG
« on: May 29, 2020, 10:11:06 AM »
https://www.gog.com/game/outpost_2_divided_destiny

if you're a dedicated fan, I'm guessing you play better versions (with fan patches and whatnot), but this might be a good way to play for "non-tech" folk?

Outpost 1 still isn't on GOG though, I assume technical issues

edit: if there's anything important/helpful you'd like to share with GOG users (links to patches and tips and whatnot), there is an Outpost 2 discussion forum on GOG now - https://www.gog.com/forum/outpost_2_divided_destiny#-62169991200
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 11:41:41 AM by tytbone »

Offline wizisi2k

Re: Outpost 2 is now on GOG
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 10:53:25 AM »
yanno, I was about to post the exact same message

Offline steev

• Norm!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 01:06:45 AM »
Instant purchase. Wonder if they fixed it up and can run without that minimap crash

Edit: It's not great. Forces you to play at 1024x768 fullscreen and INI changes do nothing. But hey at least it's on gog!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 01:33:29 AM by steev »

Offline GAArmyVet

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 07:50:03 AM »
Does it run on a 64 bit machine?

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 07:26:24 PM »
Does it run on a 64 bit machine?
Yes, but we recommend installing the community patch.

Offline GAArmyVet

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 12:20:25 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Gaznak

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 09:14:14 AM »
Greetings.

I just recently discovered this wonderful game. I got it on GOG but this version doesn't allow to change the screen resolution (I'd prefer to play it 640*480 or 800*600 at most 'cause I have a 4:5 monitor). I tried to play with community patch but can't change the resolution as well. I tried to edit .cfg and .ini files but to no avail. So I have to use the abandonware disk version that runs in native 640*480.

Is there any means to change the resolution in community version (or GOG version at least)?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 12:43:23 PM by Gaznak »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 01:42:09 PM »
Is there any means to change the resolution in community version (or GOG version at least)?

The easiest way for now is probably to right click on Outpost2.exe (or the shortcut that gets installed by the community patch installer), choose Properties, go to the Compatibility tab and check "Run in 640x480 screen resolution".  (this causes Windows to set the screen resolution before starting the game.  The community patch doesn't try to force a specific resolution, and just runs in windowed mode at whatever resolution is set).

I think the next version of the community patch will include an .ini setting for forcing a specific resolution, since others have asked for this as well, though we don't have an ETA on when that update will be ready yet.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 01:46:17 PM by BlackBox »

Offline Gaznak

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2022, 07:14:29 AM »
The easiest way for now is probably to right click on Outpost2.exe (or the shortcut that gets installed by the community patch installer), choose Properties, go to the Compatibility tab and check "Run in 640x480 screen resolution".  (this causes Windows to set the screen resolution before starting the game.  The community patch doesn't try to force a specific resolution, and just runs in windowed mode at whatever resolution is set).

TBH I never played games in 'windowed' mode. Do I understand it right that 'windowed mode' is like small 'window' at the center of the screen? If so, then GOG version seems to run in windowed mode (that seems to be unchangeable), it runs as a small window (it just looks like 640*480) on my monitor that is set to 1024*768 resolution. IIRC I tried to set compatibility option forced to 640*480 but to no avail. Don't remember correctly if I tried it in Community version, I should check it out to be sure.

I hope these issues are not related with that I have WinXP on my old-gaming secondary PC? GOG versions - paradoxically enough - on our days are known for having problems when running on older systems (which those old games are made for) :)

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 01:30:34 PM »
Do I understand it right that 'windowed mode' is like small 'window' at the center of the screen?

By "windowed mode" here I mean, the game doesn't try to change the resolution that the display is already set to, and runs in a window (that doesn't necessarily take up the entire screen, but can be maximized to fullscreen).  That's possibly another source of confusion here: if you are at the main menu in Outpost 2, you'll need to actually start a game before you can resize the window, since the standard minimize/maximize/close controls in the upper right corner aren't shown in the menus.

If so, then GOG version seems to run in windowed mode (that seems to be unchangeable), it runs as a small window (it just looks like 640*480) on my monitor that is set to 1024*768 resolution.

That's a little unusual, the GOG version should force 1024x768 fullscreen mode via DirectX (whereas the CD version forces 640x480 fullscreen mode).  I suppose it's possible that there is some sort of built in monitor scaling, especially if the native resolution of the monitor is higher than that (in particular, since you mentioned playing on an older machine, I recall some older LCD monitors / laptop displays having scaling settings to "letter box" lower resolutions with black bars rather than scaling it up to fill the screen, maybe that's worth looking into).  If you have a way to provide screenshots/pictures that might help us diagnose what's going on, as well.

I hope these issues are not related with that I have WinXP on my old-gaming secondary PC? GOG versions - paradoxically enough - on our days are known for having problems when running on older systems (which those old games are made for) :)

We tested that both the GOG installer as well as the community update work on WinXP SP3, so I don't think this should be a problem.  My suggestion would be to try the compatibility mode suggested but using the community update (or possibly just playing at 1024x768, since that's what the monitor is set to.  As mentioned, you might need to start a game before you can see the controls in the upper right corner of the window to maximize the window to fill the screen).

Offline Gaznak

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 01:59:34 AM »
I did test the Community version (installed over/beside the abandonware ISO version). I set the forced 640*480 in compatibility options of OPU launcher, and the game runs fine, just as I wanted it to run... but only for the first time. Every next time (except the first run) it starts in 640*480 "letter box" at the center of my 1024*768 screen, and then plays normally and windowed (with control buttons visible in the upper right corner) - but in 1024*768.

In .ini file there's a section WINDOW SIZE that is set in 640*480 with MAXIMIZE option 'on' (1), and a section SCREEN RESOLUTION that is set in 1024*768. I tried to set the latter to 640*480 too and saved the .ini file but to no avail, the game keeps starting as a letter box, main menu is a small 640*480 box in the center of the screen, and the game itself runs in a maximized window 1024*768.

Sorry, yesternight I forgot to download Fraps or something alike to make some screenshots.

I would be glad to play it 'as is' but with years passing and eyes weakening I began to prefer bigger (native) menus and texts size in good old games :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 02:05:08 AM by Gaznak »

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 11:04:25 PM »
If visibility is an issue, you might want to run the community patch and try using Window's built-in accessibility options.  You can also use the plus/minus (+/-) keys to zoom the main window in and out.  Doesn't do anything for the menus and text displays, though.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials