7 (31.8%)
It's sounds alright
3 (13.6%)
It's alittle bogus
2 (9.1%)
It's all stupid
10 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: One of our days is MISSING  (Read 10765 times)

Offline mustang09-06

One of our days is MISSING
« on: February 10, 2004, 08:37:45 PM »
I listened to this article in youth group on Tuesday.  What do you think about it?
Did you know that the space program is busy proving that what has been called myth in the Bible is truth?  Harold Hill, president of Curtis Engine Company in Baltimore, MD., and a consultant in the space program, related the following story.

I think one of the most amazing things that God has for us today happened recently to our astronauts and space scientists at Green Belt, MD.  They were checking the position of the sun, moon and other planets out in space where they would be 100 years from now.

We have to know this so we don’t send a satellite up and have it bump into something later in its orbit.  We have to lay out the orbit in terms of the life of the satellite and where the planets will be, so that the whole thing will not bog down.  They ran the computer measurements back and forth over the centuries and it came to a halt.

THE COMPUTER HAD STOPPED and put up a red signal, which meant that there was something wrong either in the information which had been read in to the computer or with the result as compared to the standards.

They called in the service department to check it out and said, “It’s perfect.”  The IBM head of operations said, “The trouble is, we have found a day missing in space in the elapsed time.”  They scratched their heads and pulled their hair.  There was no answer.

One of the religious fellows on the team said, “You know, one time in Sunday School, they talked about the sun standing still.”

They didn’t believe him but they did not have any other answer. So, they said, “Show us.”
   He got his Bible and went back to Joshua:
   “Fear them not, I have delivered them into thy hands; there shall not a man stand before thee.”
   Joshua was concerned because he was surrounded by the enemy and, if darkness fell, they would overpower them.  Joshua asked the Lord to make the sum stand still.  (Joshua 10:12-13)
   “Then spoke Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel and he said in the sight of Israel, “Sun stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon,”  And the sun stood still and the Moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies.  Is not this written in the Book of Jasher?  So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hastened not to go down about a whole day.
   That’s right; the sun stood still, and the moon stayed – and “hastened not to go down about a whole day.
   Well, they checked the computers going back into time when that event happened and found it was close – but not close enough.  The elapsed time that was missing back in Joshua’s time was 23 hours and 20 minutes – not a whole day.”  They read the Bible and there it said,”. . . about a whole day.”  These little words in the Bible are important.  But they were in trouble because, if you can’t account for forty minutes,  you will be in trouble 1000 years from now.  Forty minutes had to be found;  it can be multiplied many times over in orbit.
   Their religious buddy reached back into his memory and recalled that somewhere in the Bible it said that the sun went backwards.
   Again they doubted his words, but they got down in the Bible once more and, in II Kings 20, they found these words.
   Hezekiah on his death bed was visited by Isaiah who told that he was not going to die.  Hezekiah did not believe him and asked for a sign as proof.  Isaiah asked, Do you want the sun to go forward 10 degrees?  Hezekiah said, “It is nothing for the sun to go ahead 10 degrees, but let the shadow return back 10 degrees.  Isaiah spoke to the Lord, and the Lord brought the shadows back 10 degrees.
   Ten degrees is exactly 40 minutes. The 23 hours and 20 minutes in Joshua plus the 40 minutes in II Kings made the missing 24 hours in space.  Space travelers now have an entry in the log book accounting for the missing day in the universe.

Offline Luweeg64

• http://gcuco.netfirms.com
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 09:19:40 PM »
miller i still don't get that story tho...how would the computer know what happened in the past?

Offline mustang09-06

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 07:01:24 AM »
They have an equation that can calculate where certain planets are at a certain time.   This equation can go forward and backward in time.

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 07:29:27 AM »
I liked it.  If you look at the verses, the times are there.

Offline Luweeg64

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 07:09:07 AM »
Yeah but how do they know that time is messed up if we didn't have sattelites and all that stuff back when the bible was written...i mean if we've been living in a sqewed time, then we wouldn't know

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 09:20:16 AM »
People used to tell time with the sun luweeg

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 07:26:32 PM »
There are algorithms and ratios that explain where the planets are in relation to the sun... and what happened is it didn't jive up on the computers like it was supposed to... which explains the sun standing still.

Offline Zircon

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 02:11:32 AM »
1; The sun doesn't "move", It rotates yes... And it wobbles too...
The milky way spins around what is believed to be a gigantic black hole so in essence the solar system rotates but the sun locally doesn't "move"

The modern world has abandoned the idea that planet earth is zenit you know  :rolleyes:

2; The idea that the planets/sun would stand still is pathetic because the consequences of something like that would be devastating...

3; The story is a spoof that has circled the world in different forms since a long while back...

"This story has been circulating in its NASA version at least since the 1960s, largely due to its promulgation by one Harold Hill, who says that he was present at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center when the above events allegedly took place. NASA denies that this ever occurred, and Hill, the former president of the Curtis Engine Company of Baltimore, was involved in diesel engine operations at Goddard and had no involvement with any computer operations."

http://css.peak.org/newsletter/1999/mar99/meme.html

I take it for granted that everyone has so far been sarcastic...

If not... Well... The fact that you manage to find your way out of a bathroom is a miracle...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 02:12:14 AM by Zircon »

Offline Kiith Somtaaw

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 07:10:01 AM »
I would have to see some more Data on the topic to make up any theories,
I don't make assumptions or any type of false conclusions until I see some scientific proof about what’s being said.

Offline Luweeg64

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 07:24:05 AM »
People used to tell time with the sun luweeg
what i mean is if one of our day's is missing how would we know, becuase there would be no outside reference source, unless we had a satelitte monitoring the universe before the sun stopped

and i think that god would not leave proof of his existence
the whole glorious thing about your faith is that, faith
you don't have any proof of what you believe in but you believe anyways

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 09:33:20 AM »
you have completely thrown me off now.

PS: i meant that the earth revolving on it's axis was how they told time, how the sun appeard from earth.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 09:34:36 AM by plymoth45 »

Offline Kiith Somtaaw

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 09:46:37 AM »
Ever heard of Stonehenge, that one big Old Ancient Calendar!

I've seen it... big bunch of rocks in ground, no big deal!

Offline Sammyk

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2004, 07:15:25 PM »
i heard that story to and i believe it

Offline Mez

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 04:20:06 AM »
Sounds to me that it is more likly that a programmer eager to go for his/her coffee break messed up a couple of line of code (ie enter an equation or sumthing wrong).

Also the earth doesn't take exactly 24 hours to rotate once. it actually takes 24 hours and a bit which is officially made up every 4 years on feb 29th - leap year.
however even this extra day doesn't exactly remove that extra bit of time which builds up.
So over hundreds of years another couple of days 'appear due to this little bit extra time' - hence when scientists worked this out and removed a couple days from the year at one point  so that we were in the correct time.

Also over the years the calendar has changed in roman time there were only 5/6 months in a year i think which would screw up the bible a bit when thought of in our terms of time.

If you dont understand this tell me and ill try to edit this a bit.

Offline Zircon

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 04:18:06 PM »
*waves* I must be invisible or something :P

To sum up the post:

Make a search for the topic, you'll find that Harold Hill was an old looney wanting 5 minutes of fame...
The incident if so to call it never occured to begin with, there never was a computer with a big flashing red light *wooo* *wooo*

Agh, the thing is fourty years old

I demand electrical activity in the neural pathways people!

Offline Mez

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2004, 10:35:35 AM »
We're only speculating Zircon, calm down.  we know its all falsified so that people can earn some money.  We just like to... debate about random things.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 01:33:19 AM »
I dont want to offend anyone but thats a load. Ive seen many iterations of this and its actually a chain letter that was going around years ago. People have made slight changes to it so it appears like some revalation but its simply fiction.

There is no way to tell whether or not anything is standing still. Everything in space is moving. Nothing can be still. There is no such thing as absolute non-movement because there is no reference. Anyone at NASA would know this and any evidence of "absolute non-motion" would send up a red flag that there is a mathematical problem. That should kill the issue once and for all, but I have more. And this is directly related to the other permutations of this chain letter; nobody has to do any simulations of the planets except Earth to put a satellite into orbit. The distances between planets is absolutely enormous and the chances of hitting anything in space are statistically low. Landing probes on a planet requires thousands of times the effort and calculation that is needed to avoid one. Why would you need to calculate the rotation of the sun when you know that all you have to do is send a rocket at a certain speed and the satellite is in orbit? It makes no sense unless it involved sending something FAR outside the range of Earth and Luna. It would be perfectly acceptible to guess the point at which a probe would stop between Earth and Mars because the gap between them is so massive.

I have seen these theories a thousand times and they frustrate me because they play on ignorance. People hear something that they want to believe because its about God and combined with their lack of technical knowledge about aerospace, assume that if it sounds good it must be true!

Well the answer is: its false. There is no such thing as perfection in aerospace. Everything is a best guess and if you happen to be running a computer program that spits out a nice, perfect, round number you immediately throw it out as a hiccup because it is simply not possible. You dont have to believe in such stupidity to believe in God.

The other version of this I saw was about how NASA is keeping the secret that astronauts actually cant go into space because there is a huge radiation field around the Earth that would kill them and this "field" has periods of intensity which the scientists were calculating and the computer program showed that one day in the future the field would simply go away as an omen that Christ was returning to Earth. Everything about that is utter nonsense and makes no logical sense whatsoever. There is no radiation field intense enough to kill anyone and there never was. People just need something to convince themselves or others that there is tangible proof. Well I say to those people that if you need proof then you have no faith. If I'm not mistaken, that is a sin.

Offline Mez

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 02:54:11 PM »
Wow thats just opened an old post! Glad to see that you have been going through all the old posts. It probably should have been archived ages ago!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 03:49:07 AM »
Well, since this post has been somewhat resurected.

It's nonsense. You don't accidentally find something like that while running a computer simulation. How the heck would the software even know? It was programmed by someone to follow a simple mathematical model, which certainly wouldn't include "missing days", unless the programmer was crazy. In which case the results don't tell you anything more than the mental state of the programmer.

And yeah, I like your comment about lack of faith. :P

Offline Chandler

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 09:39:42 PM »
The other version of this I saw was about how NASA is keeping the secret that astronauts actually cant go into space because there is a huge radiation field around the Earth that would kill them...
I heard that one too. It was about the Van Allen Belt (???) - the magnetic field around the earth, that has gaps at the poles (as a magnet does) - and it said that because the belt focussed the radiation into these point, that astronauts couldn't go into space because of the high levels of radiation... I think it was trying to prove that we haven't landed on the moon....

It's all bs, but still an interesting read :D

The other one ppl might have heard is a few weeks ago about mars being the closest to earth it ever has in a few thousand years - ok, I'll believe that.... but then it said that mars would look about as big as the moon... WTF? If Mars EVER got that close, we would have some serious problems...  :whistle:  
Chandler

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 10:34:51 PM »
LOL Chandler, yeah I remember hearing about it. Funny thing is, Mars was closest to earth about a year prior to that wave of idiocy. Im into astronomy and it was pretty good viewing. But yea, Mars CANNOT get so close to earth that its the size of the moon. Beside the fact that its impossible all around, if it did happen we would be dead soon after. Anything that would cause mars to swing thru the solar system that fast would annihilate us totally.

btw I remember now it was the Van Allen Belt. I found it humorous. The one thing everyone always says is proof that the moon landing was fake is that the american flag is waving even tho theres supposed to be no wind on mars. nobody ever looks into things more than face value.... theres a video showing neil armstrong (or someone) putting the flag up. because theres no wind, the flag had a small motor built into it that would "deploy" the flag making it easier for the astronauts. Unfortunately it was bumped while being taken out of the lander and the motor jammed so the astronaut had to pry open the casing and pull the flag out manually. it mangled the flag and the lack of atmosphere made the material of the flag very stiff, like heavily starched canvas. apparently in space it is impossible to get wrinkles out of fabric. so to make it look more majestic, he took his hands and alternatingly 'notched' the flag so it looked like it was waving in the wind to cover up the torn and ragged spots. its all on video and im sure theres many encyclopedia websites that would have it. i dug it up on a nasa website and i saw it later on a tv show that was debunking all that anti-moon landing crap.

the other one about how the camera focus reticle goes behind an astronaut is dumb as well. i read an explaination on nasa once but i forgot it and cannot find it now, but i remember another explaination about some other photos which said that an editor for time magazine was editing out the camera focus reticles so it could be put on the cover of TIME and look more majestic. he was overzealous in his work and realized halfway thru that he wasnt supposed to edit the photos and stopped without finishing. since he had been working from top right to bottom left, the astronaut was the first part of the pic he edited, making the rest look like it was 'behind' the subject. and then either the original photo was lost or ruined, leaving only the half-edited version or the edited version became so popular that it was regarded as if it were the original leading ppl to think it was fake.

something nobody thinks about is that the ppl taking the video and pictures on the moon were pilots. not photographers. plus the fact that there were prolly in a state of euphoria walking on the moon and not thinking "i wonder if i should do it THIS way so nobody thinks its fake".

Offline Slaughter (PhodoX)

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 08:45:12 AM »
LOL Chandler, yeah I remember hearing about it. Funny thing is, Mars was closest to earth about a year prior to that wave of idiocy. Im into astronomy and it was pretty good viewing. But yea, Mars CANNOT get so close to earth that its the size of the moon. Beside the fact that its impossible all around, if it did happen we would be dead soon after. Anything that would cause mars to swing thru the solar system that fast would annihilate us totally.

My father received a E-mail about that. It was a hoax. If Mars can ger near with the size of the moon, we could be with a big problem on our hands, wharever did it. Amateurs sendings hoaxes is hateful.
Here comes the SUPERNOVA SWARM!

<Upload the photo to the OPU servers please!!!!>

Offline White Claw

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 07:12:13 PM »
I would say a day mismatch in the coding (if it existed) would be more attributed to (as stated before) the earth's rotation not equal to 24 hours. Not only is there a leap day every 4 years, but a second is added to the atomic clocks every few years as well. Time is a purely relativistic thing and has be beset with an arbitrary measurement (the second). Computers rely on exacting measurements (ignoring rounding tendencies which also complilcate matters).

Several millenia ago, there was also a calendar that was missing a day out of the year (364 days). After several decades, people began to notice that fall harvest was occuring in December and began adding a week to the year. Since this was a free week, it became a beer drinking festival (though they didn't have "beer").

Bet you didn't know I was Cliff Claven...

Offline Mez

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 08:23:13 PM »
Topic locked, as this is really getting silly now.