Author Topic: Playing OutpostHD  (Read 3321 times)

Offline chris2222

Playing OutpostHD
« on: September 27, 2018, 09:40:24 AM »
So unfortunately I haven't been able to run OutpostHD due to missing dll's and other issues with my system however regarding the gameplay.

1/ Is there an initial inventory selection based on available cash and weight that we must choose from?

It seems to me, currently, that OutpostHD doesn't give you the option to choose your supplies, it's preset.  Since I haven't been able to start the game yet, from what I've seen in youtube videos the only initial selection is planet type and landing location.  Maybe I'm wrong, but what's the plan?

2/  There is no rebel colony defection in the beginning that walks off with half your inventory?

If no rebel colony, this is good.  I hated the fact in the original OP that you spent a bunch of time selecting inventories for your ship only to have half of them disappear on landing.  It's also unfortunate that it wasn't an option to disable the rebel colony (it could have at least been randomized - ie there may or may not be a rebel colony defection or just disable it altogether.  I'm pretty sure if we ran a few real world scenarios of colonizing another planter there wouldn't always be a defection of sorts)

Offline White Claw

Re: Playing OutpostHD
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 09:45:42 AM »
Hey Chris!

I believe those were both intentional choices by Leeor, but I will leave him to explain the rationale. He also left out the "choose your star system" part, since it was unnecessarily tedious and didn't add much actual value.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 10:00:27 AM »
No rebel colony. I hated the idea and so it's been nixed.

As for the initial setup, that's going to be for future updates but it's not going to be the same as OUTPOST. Instead it'll be streamlined with difficulty determining what your initial equipment/population/resources are and the Star/Planet choice affecting everything else. See this post for a detailed explanation of the plan for it.

As for the missing DLL's, the main post and the Readme file both explain that you'll need to download the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. It's easy to miss if you're looking for something quick and easy but downloading that should fix the missing DLL issue.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 10:02:44 AM by leeor_net »

Offline chris2222

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 10:02:26 AM »
No rebel colony, great.  Maybe an option for the future? 

Ok agreed on leaving out the star system choice it is somewhat unnecessary for now.  I would argue that star system choice would have (or should have) an effect on the available planetary types.  Maybe even distance of planet to it's parent star would affect power generation and plant growth (although with unnatural lighting it might not really matter how much light output the parent star has anyways).
I seem to recall a thread about star types but I might be mistaken. 

I do hope the star system choice will eventually make it into a new build, after of course the resource selection for the initial ship launch is worked out.

I will check out the plan momentarily ...

Offline chris2222

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 10:12:36 AM »
Hmm, ok that's where I saw the discussion on star types.  Good to see it will make it into the game.  I would like to hope for a future release that there will eventually be an option for the user to select initial supplies.
... just thinking of a real world scenario, if the world was embarking on a real expedition to another star system there would be so many studies in what should be on board the starship that it would be a hardcoded inventory anyways. It wouldn't be what some flight commander decided he thinks would be the best to take, it would have already been decided for him by the world.  But throwing the selection in there by the user would certainly add to the variability (and entertainment?)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 10:27:28 AM »
Hmm, ok that's where I saw the discussion on star types.  Good to see it will make it into the game.  I would like to hope for a future release that there will eventually be an option for the user to select initial supplies.

There won't be. The original game 'gamified' this but ultimately it was useless and I don't see the value in it with this game. The general idea is that humanity barely escaped the destruction of Earth and so they left with only the very bare necessities. There was no time to do anything else.

When research and technology improvements come into play, that's when this approach will really start to take shape and make sense as most technologies (including solar receivers and solar satellites) will begin to become available instead of having everything all at once. E.g., you'll need to perform a good amount of research to be able to build and launch satellites before the solar receiver arrays become available... and that's even if the planetary system would support that (if you're too far away it's an almost useless technology so you'll be focused more on fusion reactors which are expensive to operate).

... just thinking of a real world scenario, if the world was embarking on a real expedition to another star system there would be so many studies in what should be on board the starship that it would be a hardcoded inventory anyways.

I think you hit the nail on the head there -- those decisions will already have been made. OPHD is going to give you a small population (between 75 - 200 based on difficulty), enough resources to get through the first few months after arrival until you can get mining operations set up and the designs/plans for the structures you'll need to begin the game.

Keep in mind this isn't a clone of OUTPOST, it's an entirely new game using the same premise as OUTPOST, borrowing its ideas and ultimately refining them into a complete game. Well, that's the hope anyway. :D

Offline chris2222

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 12:02:46 PM »
Would you consider adding the resource choice in the future?

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 10:01:19 PM »
No. It doesn't fit with the gameplay mechanics in OutpostHD.