Author Topic: visual Studio 2017  (Read 5202 times)

Fire Plague

visual Studio 2017
« on: September 27, 2018, 08:55:15 AM »
It seems that setting up to code dll's in visual studio is difficult. I've managed to get it to build but not place the build in another folder. And it uses the re-targeted windows sdk and toolset That is also why I think the created dll simply closes OP2 upon running.

I have the op2Helper and Outpost2dll projects from github allready but it seems that i'm missing something older that requres retareting a few things once I open the blank template .vproj.

any thoughts or information needed to generate a useful dll?

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Re: visual Studio 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 10:06:14 AM »
Vagabond did a great writeup on the Wiki that should explain everything you need to get it working. It uses Visual Studio 2015 but 2017 is basically the same.

You'll want to start with creating a project and then moving on from there.

And yeah, it's annoying. It's an unfortunate reality of dealing with really old software that makes assumptions about the in-memory layout of program code.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 07:53:02 PM »
Fire Plague,

I am curious if you got the code working and if the wiki article Leeor pointed out helped or not. If you still need direction, let me know and I'll try to help best I can.

-Brett

Fire Plague

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 12:32:21 AM »
I'm still trying to make out what is being done the settings to get it right. Last time McShay posted a one hit wonder that solved the problem I was having. this time its something deeply positioned in some settings i guess. It would seem to me that if someone takes windows 10, installs VS 2017, could they not download a template of hooville or the blank one with projects already set up for that rather than 2015? I'm guessing that is the real problem and not that the configuration is faulty. I think it's just designed for an earlier version. I feel kind of stupid at the moment.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 05:22:36 PM »
I'm a little unclear on the problems you are encountering. Do you mean the post-build step is not copying the compiled DLL to the Outpost 2 folder? If so, you may need to adjust the path in the post-build step, as it can vary for each developer's system.

Not sure why Outpost 2 would be closing. With C++ it can be pretty easy to create a crashing bug in all sorts of various ways. Is this a problem with a stock unmodified template level, or with code added to it?

I had hoped developers would be able to just download a recent version of VS and the template projects and have them work. If it's difficult to get the code to compile or run, that's kind of a flaw on our end, and we need to do something about it.

If you're not able to get it sorted, maybe we could hop on Team Viewer for a quick pair programming session. I had some issues with the audio in Team Viewer last time, in which case we can fall back to Discord for audio.

Fire Plague

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 08:30:52 AM »
I started again fresh and figured out that it was actually the small bit of code that my son mad with the mappper that i added thinking that I needed something for the .dll to do so that I could look at it's usability. I think he doubled up some object that the game didn't like topped on each other. Thx for the help though.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 07:18:24 PM »
Glad to here you got it working. :)

What sort of scenario are you planning on making?

-Brett

Fire Plague

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 12:39:52 AM »
I don't know if you are going to have to move this to another topic, but to answer your question it's a single player that uses all the major colony game objectives. build your population to 250, launch a star ship, etc; and ads a new type of "disaster" having native lifeforms (recreating the spiders with sticky foam) that create havoc at times.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 04:27:13 AM »
Heh, I like the idea of mixing spiders with stickyfoam. In hindsight, that should have been more obvious, though I'd never thought of it before.