Author Topic: OutpostHD v0.7.9 Preview #1  (Read 3951 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
OutpostHD v0.7.9 Preview #1
« on: August 26, 2018, 11:17:35 PM »
Time for another update!

Been working on the UI overhaul to make it way better than it currently is. Starting with the Factory UI as that's kind of the one that needs the most work (mine overview will be included in this as well). This is where I'm at so far:

Along the top are a series of navigation panels (whoop dee doo) -- clicking on each will expose an individual UI Panel that contains all of the controls specific to that particular panel. You can see the new ComboBox (basically a drop-down box but with an editable text field, in this case editing is disabled) at work here.

The buttons were original going to be for selecting items but instead I'm going to use it to filter items by status versus the drop-down which will be to filter by product type (or none if not producing anything, duh).

So yeah, lots of neat stuff under the hood. I know Goof had at some point started on a DropDown type of control but from what I can see on GitHub didn't get too far with so I went ahead and built one which is composed of a TextField, a Button and a ListBox (a little simpler than what he had started to do).

I'll be creating a new ListBox type of deal that will show more than just a series of text based items -- this will take a bit more work as the 'items' will be more complex and include controls in them as well... notably a progress bar.

So yes, it's a good start especially for only spending a couple of hours on it but I look forward to getting this one pushed out!

As always, feedback on the current release is very much welcome and helps me to know where I need to focus my efforts.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Re: OutpostHD v0.7.9 Preview #1
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 11:15:51 PM »
Figured I'd toss out a quick update on progress before I headed to bed:

Getting the new Factory ListBox fleshed out. Based it off the ListBox code. It's fairly close to being done at least. :D

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 05:34:55 PM »
You know, this is starting to look dangerously like an end product.  I know there's still a lot to go to get to v 1.0, but it's looking fantastic right now.  Thanks for the update preview.  Little curious, though.  Noticed the numbering has gone from v0.7.6 to v0.7.9.  Obviously .7 and .8 are getting incorporated into .9.  Time to head over to GitHub to look at what else is coming.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 07:25:15 PM »
I chose that number as it's going to be the last major branch in the 0.7.X series of releases. I suppose I could just keep it to strict incremental ordering but that 'jump' makes it feel like a significant difference which I think it will be -- notably in the usability of and feedback from the game and its UI.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 02:52:33 AM »
* leeor_net waves

Wanted to give another quick update:

It's starting to take shape, finally. I did a lot of work on the back end with the UI, the controls and their behavior both with the user and interacting with eachother. It's starting to take shape. I think with this update the Factory and Mine interfaces will be done with Research, Satellites and Space Ports becoming available as they're developed.

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 08:21:58 AM »
You're right, it really is taking shape!  Love the added information.  Always nice to see at a glance what is being done and where.  Is the block under to product name a progress bar?  I noticed that the first underground factory is in a darker green than the SEED and the other two active surface factories.  Since I was presuming that the gray meant an idle facility, I'm confused about the second green color.  Obviously the red indicates the disabled units.  I also like the pile of scrap icon for the destroyed facilities.  It just makes for an enhanced experience, but it also shows you that somethin' ain't quite right somewhere if you've been focused somewhere else, like underground, setting up new mines, or hunting the little green guys that just walked off with your last batch of Robodozers.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 01:57:29 PM »
Glad you like it! Clicking on the individual factories will bring up additional information on the right-hand panel that's still unfinished.

I originally was going to go with grey for idled, but instead opted for a translucent green for idled and grey for Under Construction. Forgot to have the factory icon drawn faded as well to make it more obvious but it's still a work in progress. :)

Anyway, hoping to have this mostly done by end of day today. Then I can focus on some of the other things that need to be touched on to get 0.7.9 out the door.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 10:25:41 PM »
Looking good. The style of the UI and the bold, in your face kind of colors is very reminiscent of the originals. It's also looking fairly clean, and not as cumbersome as OP1's production screens.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 09:36:50 PM »
That's basically what I was going for. :) I use the green because that was part of the garish color scheme the original used but with the milder greys to make it sort of work. OP1 didn't really have any production screens which was its biggest issue. It did have the 'master reports' window and the factory windows.

Actually there might have been an overall factory reports thing kinda like the research screen but it's been awhile since I've played....

So I just opened the game and egad, its original UI is even worse than I remembered:

Yeeesh... well, here's to hoping I did a lot better. :D