Author Topic: Updates for Outpost 2 1.3.8  (Read 118 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Updates for Outpost 2 1.3.8
« on: May 01, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »
Alright, now that Outpost 2 1.3.7 has been released, I'm opening a new thread to collect updates for the next future release. Time now to turn attention towards Outpost 2 1.3.8 updates.

What I think should be a priority: Network connectivity issues have been a hurdle for a number of people for quite some time now. As such, I believe some long overdue updates to NetFix should be included. In particular:
  • increased feedback to let people know about server connectivity. Are there no games hosted, or is the server not running or responding?
  • Perhaps show some server stats, like the time of the last hosted game, how long the server has been up, and the total number of games hosted/started since then
  • Additional display for the local and external address and ports, the later of which can be reported by the game server
  • Additional logging and output to help diagnose connectivity issues, and pinpoint problem routers. Currently people seem to be guessing who has the problem router when connectivity fails, which I suspect is leading some people to needlessly configure their settings.
  • Perhaps collect some statistics about router issues, so we know how widespread it is
  • Internal detail: Simplifications for the NetFix code so it only ever uses 1 port

And as always, new content would be desirable. I'm personally fond of colony games.

Offline Vagabond

Re: Updates for Outpost 2 1.3.8
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 04:09:51 AM »
Hooman,

Sounds good.

Perhaps we should add some sort of ping function? That would allow telling the user their computer is successfully communicating with the server even if no other matches are displayed?

-Brett

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: Updates for Outpost 2 1.3.8
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 04:49:38 AM »
Ping statistics could be useful, especially if we could correlate it with expected or maximum game speed.