Author Topic: Migration to Git  (Read 4980 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Migration to Git
« on: March 30, 2018, 05:57:14 PM »
Been meaning to do this for awhile and finally got around to it... OutpostHD is now officially running on git:

https://github.com/ldicker83/OPHD

I've scrubbed the history of the data files so I don't think I'll be doing any sort of IP infringement. Still need to find a place to put the dependency and asset files but I'll be updating the main thread when I do that.

Offline JetMech1999

Re: Migration to Git
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 07:48:23 PM »
Your notes on Git mention opening the ZIP archive file to play the game, but I'm not finding that.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 02:42:44 AM »
Excellent! I've been wanting to see this up on GitHub for a while now.

My first thought is, how does this link to NAS2D? Looks like nothing explicit has been done in the conversion, so perhaps I can look into setting a Git submodule.

I also noticed the mention of a Zip file, though noticed there are no release packages up on GitHub.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »
Your notes on Git mention opening the ZIP archive file to play the game, but I'm not finding that.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

That's a bit of a legacy statement automatically generated from the Readme file -- GitHub is a repository for source code. I haven't pushed any new releases since 0.7.1 (so basically nothing new yet). When I do make new releases, there will be downloads in the Releases section that I'll link to:

https://github.com/ldicker83/OPHD/releases

Since not all of the assets are non-infringing I'll have to find a way to publish releases without putting infringing content on GitHub.

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 08:09:24 AM »
Thanks.  Was starting to think my mind was going along with my eyes.  Looking forward to new releases.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 05:50:07 PM »
I'm looking forward to making them. :) As things have settled in my real life I'm finding it easier to get working again on the code.

Related note -- I'm almost done with the next release which includes more factory production and storage of products in warehouses. I don't know if I'm going to go too much further than that with it but after that's released I intend to work on the UI for working with factories implementing some of the proposed sketches by havkyp. Just have a feeling that a more responsive and functional UI would make the game more accessible.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 09:28:40 PM »
The migration is now basically complete. I've copied all of the issues from Redmine over to GitHub (minus the ones that are already closed). I've also downloaded all of the releases... I just don't know yet where to put them. I don't want to upload them to GitHub due to potential IP infringement (not that anybody cares about the Outpost IP anymore) but still, principle of the thing. So we'll have to kind of figure out a good place to house these. Probably (for now) the OPU servers themselves though I've managed to lose access to the webserver so that's kind of a thing. -_-

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 02:38:08 AM »
leeor,

Is there some way you can sticky the Outpost HD Git repo to the Outpost Universe Group on GitHub. It would be nice to see your changes pop up in the feed. It motivates me to work when I see other people's changes float to the top of the list. :) Plus it makes it easier for me to find the repo.

I might take a crack at downloading the source and trying to compile in the near future. No promises though!

-Brett

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 10:10:07 PM »
Not really? It's a project under my own personal account. You can Star the project and any changes will show up in your feed whenever I commit code changes or work with issues.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 02:40:57 AM »
I was thinking similar. It would be nice to somehow promote that project on the OPU page. I don't think cloning it would be appropriate, as it would be an out of date stale copy, and people might mistake it for the official repository. I am subscribed to changes in that repo, though that's a personal thing, not a blanket promotion.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 06:06:37 PM »
Yeah, I don't quite know how repository ownership works on GitHub.

Hooman is always tagged as the owner of OP2Utility whenever he posts. However, when I go through the settings, I don't see anything saying who the actual owner is. It does say that one of the owners of Outpost Universe must upgrade to make the repository private, assuming some sort of corporate ownership. I suspect Hooman is also the owner of OP2MapImager, OP2Archive, and op2editor, although it doesn't seem to say that anywhere?

It would be nice if there was a clear way to maintain ownership of a repo but associate it with a group like Outpost Universe. Maybe GitHub doesn't support this? No big deal if you don't want to associate with Outpost Universe on GitHub though.

-Brett

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 07:26:41 PM »
It's not that I don't want to link it with OPU, it's just that I don't want to relinquish ownership to the OPU group. I know it sounds kind of selfish but it's a project I want to make sure anybody following is clear that it's one that I've been pushing since day one and that I began it outside of OPU. I dunno if I'm making any sense?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 01:05:05 AM »
I can understand that. As far as I'm concerned, the original project creator has full power over where they want to host their code.

@Vagabond:
I think I might be listed as the owner of OP2Utility either because I'm an owner of the OPU organization, or because I "created" the repository during the SVN -> Git migration. Probably the later.

If you check under the Contributors tab, it becomes very clear very quickly who the real owner is.

Under the Settings tab there is a Collaborators and Teams section, where you are listed as the Admin.