Author Topic: Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade (ASCII) - Alpha V11  (Read 3703 times)

Offline lordpalandus

Re: Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade (ASCII) - Alpha V8a
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »
Released a Hotfix for Alpha V8.

Implements a better pathfind system for the "dumb" pathfind system (ie not the computationally expensive A*Star system); used by both the flee code and the move towards code. Also, added a message for when you hit a fleeing foe, removed debug items that I forgot to remove, and fixed a bug with Spellcasters not fleeing when hit.
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline lordpalandus

Re: Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade (ASCII) - Alpha V9
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2018, 05:41:28 PM »
Released Alpha V9. Another huge release, possibly bigger than Alpha 7.

Binary and Uncompiled Build on first post. Enjoy.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2018, 09:02:17 PM »
Huh, I'm getting behind on checking out these updates.  :P

Offline lordpalandus

« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2018, 03:52:52 PM »
At this point in development, with the lack of user feedback, I'm mostly just posting these updates for my own benefit. It keeps me on track, focused on my task list and disciplined in producing a stable build each week, which is very motivating. Though, if no one downloads this week's binary, I'm going to stop posting it and only give a link if someone ACTUALLY wants to play it.

The whole point of getting the binary build up was so that people wouldn't have to struggle with setting up the python interpreter, but as the only binary build that got ANY downloads was V7 (V6 got 1 from I think Vagabond who posted the graphical error), I just don't see the point of going to the hassle of compiling a build that literally no one is going to play.

I'll continue to post the uncompiled one, that requires the python interpreter on one's system, for anyone who wants to try compiling it for their host system, that isn't Windows. But, if the Binary this week gets no downloads I'm going to stop building the binary unless someone actually wants to play it.

Then again, if I do get accepted into GOG's in-development program, they may stipulate that I have to stop releasing free builds here on OPU, if I'm going to have others on GOG.com / GOG Galaxy paying for it. But, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

EDIT: Immediately after posting this, I checked the Mediafire page, and turns out 7 unique downloads of V9 has occurred. So at least that is a good thing.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 03:56:43 PM by lordpalandus »

Offline lordpalandus

« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2018, 12:04:10 AM »
After months of fiddling with the code and experimenting with various approaches, I've finally eliminated the Double Window issue.

There are a few more things I wish to do for Alpha V10, and may release it early so that I can do a GOG submission during the week (as they appear to not count weekends as business days so I'd have to wait more than 5 business days for a response), and that also means a bug-free build will be available sooner for those that got hit by any one of the three runtime errors I discovered.

EDIT: I've accomplished all I want to for Alpha V10's submission to GOG. However, now I am going to thoroughly test out the code and make sure that I get rid of all of the obvious, easy to spot errors, typos, and bugs... and eliminate them. Once I've done so, I shall upload V10 here to OPU.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 09:59:56 AM by lordpalandus »

Offline lordpalandus

Re: Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade (ASCII) - Alpha V10
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2018, 06:06:48 PM »
Released Alpha V10, and have started the submission process to GOG.

If you encountered any errors or bugs in Alpha V9, I'm pretty sure I fixed all of them. (I hope so at least; I did spend about 2 hours thoroughly testing and gameplay testing)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2018, 02:37:13 AM »
You really push through on this stuff. It's impressive.

I don't suppose there is a way you can think of to get more feedback?

Offline lordpalandus

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2018, 10:25:29 AM »
There are a couple ways I had considered, just haven't looked into it trying it yet. If the GOG submission doesn't succeed, I'll look into trying Plan B.

So, you are probably wondering what is Plan B?

Plan B is try to do a Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign (like Thomas Biskup did for his Ancient Domains of Mystery) and acquire funding to give the game a graphical and audible makeover. In order for that to succeed, I'll likely work towards completing the game to a much greater degree, and then post the game in a few places. Namely:

1. There is a subreddit dedicated to Roguelikes, where I noticed some people have placed their free-to-play games there, for users to try out and get feedback.

2. The libtcod library is hosted on RogueBasin, a site dedicated to roguelikes, particularly ones that use libtcod library (which I am). Might be a good place to get feedback on the game.

3. I could try to get it on Steam. The reason I haven't thus far attempted it, is because it is costly to do so, with no guarantee on return. As they have nuked their Greenlight system, (for good reason, yet screws me over) the only way you can get your first game onto their service now is to pay $5,000 + other fees (need to do various paperwork, have a business bank account, and have a legitimate company name which will cost somewhere in the range of $1,000 to $2,500). If you make $5,000, then they will give you back that money. It is basically their way of discouraging crappy developers as most won't be willing to pay 5k deposit fee to get their game up and thus the number of crappy games will decrease. However, for legitimate developers, who lack the 5k easily, this creates a major problem. If I had tons of money to burn, I could pay that cost... but, then again, if I had tons of money to burn, I probably wouldn't be trying to make a video game anyway, as video games are extremely risky endeavours. Catch 22 situation.   

Offline lordpalandus

Re: Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade (ASCII) - Alpha V11
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2018, 12:19:56 PM »
Released Alpha V11. No word yet from GOG.

Added a major system, Profiles, which now allows progression across playthroughs. Otherwise, mostly a heavy refactoring and removing redundancy build.

Enjoy