Author Topic: Chaotic Planar Prison (Game Renamed) - Alpha V3  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Vagabond

Re: Chaotic Planar Prison - Alpha V2
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2018, 11:35:15 PM »
I'm generally interested in the game but am waiting for you to progress further as it is still very early in development. If you have specific need for testing, I would be happy to help.

-Brett

Offline lordpalandus

Re: Chaotic Planar Prison - Alpha V2
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2018, 08:42:31 AM »
Alright.

Then, I'll see about trying to prioritize learning how to build a binary, and look into determining when I desperately need playtesting; likely mid-alpha, perhaps?

Thanks for the feedback.
Currently working on Chaotic Planar Prison.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline lordpalandus

Re: Chaotic Planar Prison (Game Renamed) - Alpha V3
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2018, 02:47:08 PM »
Alpha V3 is released! New changes are = Separate technique menus (Shift Z, Shift M, Shift T), Disintegration now works, Two new Utility spells, Did a lot of work under the hood, rebranded the game as Cataclysm of Chaos, A lot of interface improvements, Heavily modified game balancing, Fixed a bunch of bugs, Added Resource Nodes and On the Move Crafting, Monster Updating is now active, Primal Updating is now active, implemented random monster names, and you now spawn randomly in the map rather than in a corner. Most of the stuff on my weekly task list turned out to be far more complicated than I originally thought and thus only a few things actually got solved.

If I can figure out how to use PyInstaller in a timely manner, then I'll release the binaries for Alpha 3.

===========================

EDIT: PyInstaller isn't working or I didn't install it properly. Either way, it is going to take me a while to figure out what is going wrong, so unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll be able to bundle binaries with this release, but I'll try to have it in for Alpha V4.

EDIT2: For some reason my OS is not recognizing my Python 2.7 install. Pip, a program used to install Python modules, couldn't detect it, yet it is installed on my C:/. I also tried another program, py2exe to try and make an executable, but it failed to work because the command-prompt keyword/command python isn't recognized. So... I think I'm going to have to figure out how to fix my python install or something. Regardless, I doubt I'm going to figure it out anytime soon, so no binaries for Alpha V3. Sorry.

EDIT3: It is unlikely that I'll have binaries for next release either. I've tried several fixes online to try and get the system to recognize the Python2.7 install, but none of them have worked. I tried adding it to the environment variables into Path, but cmd.exe still doesn't find python; if I go manually to C:\python27, it will load up Python properly. I tried to add it to the registry and that didn't work. I'm at wits end, so until I figure out how to either register python27 or how to get the OS to accept the path to the python interpreter, the creation of a binary is not available.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:30:40 PM by lordpalandus »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2018, 02:05:44 AM »
Perhaps you already know, but just in case, if you update environment variables through a settings GUI, you generally have to restart any open command prompts for the new settings to take effect.

I'm curious about the cross platform build potential, and what steps I might do to replicate your efforts. I assume this program is to package Python code with a Python interpreter. That might not be quite enough though, since the code relies on the libtcod native extension. That's not quite so easy to package or build cross platform. The packager might not be smart enough to account for this dependency, or might need extra configuration to account for it.

Offline lordpalandus

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2018, 09:42:35 AM »
Well, apparently reinstalling python 2.7, and making sure that the checkbox for installing in Path, was checked, now properly allows me to use the command python in cmd.exe, without getting an error. Haven't tried the other stuff like pyinstaller yet though.

Actually, I did restart it, before reinstalling python 2.7, and it didn't work. Only by reinstalling python 2.7, did it work. Maybe it required both a proper registering in regedit AND assignment to path to get it to work.

----

Well, pyinstaller is more advanced than py2exe, and thus I'd probably go with it. It is robust enough to detect other libraries, by scanning all of the import keywords and building the appropriate libraries into the executable OR having them as dlls. Py2exe should work as well, as the actual roguelike tutorial suggests it for making binaries. However, py2exe only works on windows and only makes windows binaries. Unfortunately, to get pyinstaller to create a binary for Linux / mac, you have to run pyinstaller on those systems; ie I can only build windows binaries as I only have access to a windows OS, so if someone wanted a Linux binary, I'd need access to a Linux to create it OR explain how the end user can create a binary on their machine.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2018, 11:14:53 PM »
I suppose that's good reason to document the process then, so people can help out with the other platforms. If you have good instructions for Windows, that can help people figure out how to do it on Linux or Mac. Once a solution is found, it might be possible to setup Docker to compile and package things for other platforms using virtual machines running on Windows.