Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4445 times)

Offline Devilhar

Hello
« on: December 15, 2017, 04:47:51 PM »
I'm Devilhar, that's pronounced "Devil", followed by "Hargh", you know, like a pirate. No? I was twelve, what do you want from me? Anyway, I'm a programmer for a game company and hail from the mysterious Scandinavia. Mysterious for you, because you don't know what part. Oh, and my favorite colour is red. Anything else I should mention? I think that's all.

So, I've played Outpost 2 since like 2004, the demo anyway. Didn't have any good internet back then, so I didn't know how to get the real deal. Fast forward a few years, I now have good internet, I quickly found this page, I quickly downloaded the game, and then I quickly forgot about this page. That repeated every time I got a new computer. However, I awoke one night this week in a panic. I had heard the savant computer's voice in one of my dreams informing me of the colony's impending doom.
So I decided it was finally time to join up. It only took a nightmare.

So here I am.
Um... Hi, I guess.
It's a pleasure to meet you all. ^^
"It's a good lesson. I hope we learn it some day."

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 09:47:08 PM »
Rrrrrrrrrr!

What's a pirate's favorite letter?

You might think it be "R", but it actually be the "C"! ;)

Welcome, landlubber! Great to have a professional game programmer around. Wish we had you here earlier, because...
"You have failed, our colony is doomed!"  :o

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 10:46:54 PM »
Your born with the name your parents gave, but you get to choose your online handler... to bad everyone chooses a name when they are about 12. I'm Spikerocks101, not because there was 100 Spikerocks' before me, but because I knew how to type Spike + Rocks + 101. My 12yo brain didn't function.

Anyways, welcome to the community thing we got going. You are welcome to join us on the IRC for some games or tech chatting. Lots of programmers here too!
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Devilhar

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 05:06:51 AM »
Thanks guys! Both for the welcome AND for keeping one of my all time favorite game alive.
Looking forward to meeting the rest of the community.  :)
"It's a good lesson. I hope we learn it some day."

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 03:37:26 PM »
Hello Devilhar,

Welcome to the Outpost Universe. Outpost 1/2 are both pretty unique games.

If you are interested in multiplayer, Sunday is the adhoc game day. If you want to schedule something further out, I'd be willing to see if I can make time to play as others in the community may as well. We have designed some coop scenarios as well now where you group fight an AI if that is more palitable than the typical deathmatch last one standings.

This link contains most of the fan made scenarios that are not included in the current release of the game: https://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=outpost_2:maps:custom_scenarios

If you are interested in programming, most of the work done here is C++ with a little outdated Visual Basic thrown in. sirbomber has a nice set of tutorials on programming a scenario in the forums, and there is some more info in the wiki that is worth looking at.

-Brett