Author Topic: Dungeon Crawler  (Read 3957 times)

Offline Spikerocks101

Dungeon Crawler
« on: November 23, 2017, 12:20:38 PM »
I meant to your game specifically  ::)
But yes, that is a possibly relevant hosting solution for lordpalandus.

Github doesn't do HTTPS with custom domains... but anyways, its akolo.net/brycesgame.html. It is not my game, and not complete either. Just a little thing I was doing playing around with HTML/Javscript.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: Dungeon Crawler
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 01:55:40 AM »
Heh. That was fun. I got my start with text based games like that, but never really thought other people were making them.

Challenging to figure out. I found it a little difficult to connect up the descriptive text with possible commands. I was really struggling and bumbling about to get anywhere. Thankfully you included a help section I managed to stumble into.

I got stuck in the cave on my first try. None of the commands I typed would do anything. I couldn't leave the cave. I couldn't look around. I couldn't explore further. Not sure what happened, but it felt like I'd entered some void in the game from which I could not escape. I even tried viewing the source to the page, looked through your JavaScript code, and tried a bunch of the commands listed in there for the cave. None of them were working for me.

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 10:27:32 AM »
Thanks for the post Hooman. It really isn't a full game. If you viewed the page source, you'll notice there's 2000 lines of commented c++ code. I didn't make the game, I only make the html/javascript interface, and made some simple javascript text adventure engine functions, to make writing a text adventure a little easier. I might make my own text adventure if I get some time.

FYI, I am trash at Javascript.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 04:14:21 AM »
You mean JavaScript code :P

Yes, it was rather extensive. I was a bit surprised and impressed by the length.

What do you mean by you didn't make the game, only the html/javascript interface? Is the text or design of the game copied from somewhere else, or done by a friend?

FYI, I am trash at Javascript.
We all start somewhere. You see how awful my early GWBasic text adventure games were  :P

I sure learned a bit from making them though.