Author Topic: Bug building common ore smelter without using convec  (Read 119 times)

Offline djshaw

Bug building common ore smelter without using convec
« on: November 20, 2017, 06:10:32 PM »
Hey!

I'm a big outpost 2 player, but I really only play colony games. I found a bug yesterday. I was playing Colony Builder, Plymouth 2. I set a convec to build a common ore smelter, but decided to change the location at the last minute. Construction started, but the convec didn't go into construction mode--and it still had a common ore smelter in it. Effectively, I got two smelters for the price of one. I presume there's a bug the requires frame accurate input to begin construction, then provide a move command to the convec.

I've attached a screenshot of a building under construction without a convec. I've attached my save game files. The game is saved as 'bug' (I'm not sure which SGAME file it is, so I'm attaching all of them).

I'd love to find a way to reliably reproduce this issue. It would change the game so much and open it up to speed running, beating plymouth space ship builder (on normal or hard), or plymouth cold war (on normal or hard).

If anyone is able to better explain what happened, if anyone has a reliable way to reproduce the bug, or if anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear from you!

Offline Sirbomber

Re: Bug building common ore smelter without using convec
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 06:12:18 PM »
Yeah, we've known about this for years, but you need frame-perfect timing to pull it off, so nobody has ever bothered to fix it I think.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »
IDK... sounds like some intense hacking to me. At least you got an extra smelter instead of a vortex appearing directly above you.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline djshaw

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 04:26:59 PM »
Yeah, we've known about this for years, but you need frame-perfect timing to pull it off, so nobody has ever bothered to fix it I think.

I had no idea. Is there any more information on it? Is there a list of bugs somewhere?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 03:30:00 AM »
I actually didn't know about this. Thanks for posting about it. Loved that you included details and saved game files.

I might consider taking a look into this. If so, the saved game files could provide a bit of info on the exact timing requirements to make this happen.