Author Topic: An Idea concerning league play  (Read 4418 times)

Offline Stormy417

An Idea concerning league play
« on: September 15, 2017, 03:17:50 AM »
So, I've been thinking. I know that Sundays are the busy "play days" and most of the matches are just for fun. My  question is, would anyone be up for league style play? I could figure out rules of scoring to keep track of more than just who wins each match. (Who harvests more resources in a LOS or SR game, or something else like that.) I would also be interested in finding a way to have an observer team on the field, possibly recording video (and maybe commentary) for later viewing, either on this site itself or possibly Youtube.

At this point, its a bunch of jumbled ideas. I'd just like to see if there is any more interest before trying to collect my thoughts.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Re: An Idea concerning league play
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 05:24:58 AM »
I'm entirely for this idea but there aren't really enough players at the moment for it to really be fun.

Side note: Stick around on IRC for more than 30 seconds. :P :P :P

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »
Ladder ranking systems like ELO just don't work very well with small pools of players. Even if we had 100+ active players in the community, it still wouldn't be enough.

Observers are doable if you don't mind them counting against the 6 player limit. The hard part about implementing that would be hacking apart the MP lobby, which is something that had been discussed in the past in order to implement other proposed features, and we'd have to hack in special cases for observers in the code that determines the soft structure and vehicle caps per player (observers shouldn't count against that), and maybe not allow their chat messages to be sent to other players.

Although, I would say making a working game replay system would be a higher priority, which is a similar feature but doesn't limit you to only being able to watch games that you join as an observer before they start. BlackBox attempted one a long time ago but it had a lot of very, uh, interesting bugs.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 10:48:44 AM by Arklon »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 04:29:22 AM »
Heh, I was just thinking of that game recorder recently. Would be nice to have that working.

Arklon, maybe we should look at network code updates. Observer status is something I've wanted to add for ages. Plus there are a few other things worth fixing up.

I kind of agree with leeor_net, in that we need more players for league style play to really be fun.