Author Topic: 1 month push for Outpost 3D  (Read 101 times)

Offline Zhall

1 month push for Outpost 3D
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:43:45 PM »
My current project is coming to a close and I am looking for another one month push which is my favorite development style.

I have made some progress in the past on a starcraft 2 mod, figuring out how to import custom models and get certain features such as mining to work almost identical to the original.

Starcraft 2 arcade is free,so there's no real downside to using that engine. Of course its $20 to use the editor or as low as $7 on eBay. Building a custom engine is a hellacious waste of time,  and the spring engine pisses me off too much.

Of course there's copyright bullshit, but please look past that as if the project gets pulled from battlenet the content produced can be reused on a different engine.

We can use all free software to make models and textures.

Who's in?  Ill dedicate a whole month to it if a few other people are willing to push aswell.

We won't finish,  but a first playable version will result.

Thoughts?
Pumping out awsome.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Re: 1 month push for Outpost 3D
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 12:52:11 AM »
This is the fourth time you've announced a project presenting an ambitious idea with unrealistic time frames. It's not going to garner you much response. To give you a bit of context:

Projects with little to nothing to show for themselves

Outpost 2 On Iphone
New Outpost Project
Remaking Outpost 2 Muliplayer With Galaxy Editor
Outpost Sequel/rpg Story
Outpost 2 Remastered
Outpost Remake Thoughts
Outpost Open-core
Modding Continuum
Outpost 3: The Final Chapter
Outpost 3: Genesis ← Calling myself out
Outpost 3: Alien Worlds
Outpost 3: A New Power
Outpost 3D
Outpost: A New Beginning
Outpost: Tactical Frontier
Outpost 3: Reboot
Outpost Undivided
Outpost World
Outpost For Spring
OP1 Remake?
Outpost: Missing in Action ← Calling myself out again
Epsilon Eridani

Your own announcements and projects

Teaser
Haven (not posted about much on OPU and NTCS's forums are down so I can't link to it).
Haven relaunch?
Outpost 3 Starcraft 2
Industrial Giant

With all of this stated, I know you and I haven't seen eye to eye before and the last time we talked you stormed out of the IRC channel and claimed that within a month you'd have a new prototype. I chalked it up to a heated quip but I low-key wanted you to prove me wrong. That was two years ago.

If you can make it happen, awesome! Hell I'd be excited to help out. But... you have a proven history of not following through, coming up with prototypes that haven't gone anywhere, dismissing advice that experienced people offer you and stopped working on a project because you didn't understand the technology (Haven, in this case. I've looked at the source code for Spring and it's a solid base to build a new game off of).

If you want to get a few developers together to do something awesome, you need to have more than an idea. You need to have laid down some ground work. If you've developed code, put it up in a public repository like GitHub, GitLab or SourceForge. Specify what you need help with, what the goals are and so on.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:08:01 AM by leeor_net »
- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's

Offline Zhall

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 10:57:43 AM »
First off id like to say i regret my unprofessionalism and hope to move past it.

Id like to restate that this would not result in a finished product but would focus on getting some components done and perhaps a barely playable proof of concept.

Industrial giant has since been merged into a different project and Haven was paused due to not having enough people involved,which ultimately will be the fate of this project.

Regardless of how many failures there has been I don't see the harm in trying again even if we are certain that it will fail again. As long as the progress is saved add open sourced at the end it will not be hot nothing!
Pumping out awsome.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »
Fair enough.

A suggestion -- I've looked over the Spring code in more detail (the actual base C++ code). It's not bad and it's very usable. As I recall your previous effort with Haven involved using a pre-built engine and Lua scripting. That could work but from what I saw I seriously doubt you'd be able to get the Outpost 2 behavior out of units via lua scripts. Very likely the behavior would have to be built into the engine itself.

Structure placement would also have to be modified with an included 'connectedness' algorithm. This can be done relatively efficiently with a depth-first search -- it's the same technique I used in OutpostHD. I would only run such a search in an RTS maybe once per tick (maybe every 2000 - 3500 milliseconds? that would have to be tested) and if possible in a separate logic thread separate from the rendering thread.

Lastly, you're right about failure rate. Sometimes it's not about being ablet to succeed, sometimes it's just about learning. If that's the case, I'd suggest instead of a full-on project just coming up with some sort of prototype that demonstrates the basic mechanics. I made the same suggestion to LordPalandus in his thread. Still haven't seen much out of it but it seems like he's made some good progress understanding his own limitations and the scope of what he wants to do so basically a lot of positives.  ;D

- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's

Offline Zhall

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 03:46:27 PM »
I'll put together a trello board and make the expectations for the push realistic.
Pumping out awsome.

Offline Zhall

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:30:38 PM »
A trello board has been started here.

Trello board Outpost 3 - https://trello.com/b/5J1sXcJt/outpost-3.

Ill be adding things as i get closer to the push time.

Some things that will probably be the focus are...
  • Finishing the leftover to-do list from earlier development
  • Implementing a custom UI similar yo the original
  • Reimagining kits and their handling
  • Creating previs assets of pretty much everything in the game,ultra low quality place holders if you will

ill start with that and see what else can be done near the end of that month.
Pumping out awsome.