Author Topic: OutpostHD Graphics  (Read 49446 times)

Offline White Claw

Re: OutpostHD Graphics
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 11:22:39 PM »
I would say anything with that much exposed glass would look more at home as a greenhouse or a recreational center perhaps.

Yes, they were both meant to be concepts for a control center. I'm not sure if your interpretation was that the triangles would be filled with glass (like the classic agridome), but that was not the original intent (I can certainly see why you would think that though.). I think I might be shying away from the dome shape for the command center, but I don't know for sure yet. Thank you for the feed back. :)

Some thoughts on the Command Center. Maybe try a hardened structure/bunker feel with antennas (maybe parabolic dish and a couple of helical antennas). Perhaps a thin row or two of smaller, reinforced windows.

I definitely agree with all this, though I'm also trying to find a way to make it look interesting without it just being a giant brick or giant dome. Leeor pointed out the fact that (to be inline with the story) it needs to have emergency space for 200 people. Though I ended up doing some math, and with the tubes at the current scale, they can fit almost 100 people in the cross-shaped tubes alone (though not reinforced).

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2017, 05:06:33 AM »
Very nice tubes.

The first command center looked a bit like a prison.

Agridome is cool. Looks almost like it's filled with fireflies.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »
Definitely digging the agridome. I would suggest making the support structure lighter in color so that there's more contrast with the background (like the original images) and maybe slightly thicker so that it shows up in the scaled down version better.

Otherwise looking good!

As for 100 people in the tube section, would that be standing up or laying down?

The reason I mentioned the CC is that's where the colonists live when they first land (CC has built-in life support systems and is heavily shielded) until the underground residences are built. You could leave them up in the ship for awhile but you won't have running structures (CHAP and Agridomes) until the colonists land. Also I don't think the CC would function without people either (As I recall it requires a population of 3 to operate in the original game and it makes sense to have something similar in OPHD). So you'd need to bring them down sooner rather than later.

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »
Theres a song on youtube, Dynatron-Propulsion Overdrive, that has a cover art, of either something inspired by Outpost 1, or is the cover art for Outpost 1, that you could grab some visual inspiration from:

(also its a good synthetic song too, if you want to just listen to it regardless)

Seeing the spherical command center, looks interesting. Kind of like a planetarium.
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2017, 06:42:33 PM »
Bitchin find there lordpalandus
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline White Claw

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2017, 10:57:53 PM »
The first command center looked a bit like a prison.

Agridome is cool. Looks almost like it's filled with fireflies.

Fair enough on the prison look. I was aiming for utilitarian, but not oppressive. :P

It took me a second to realize what you meant about the fireflies. Those spots are reflected stars on the glass, though it's way too much detail to appear on the small version.

Definitely digging the agridome. I would suggest making the support structure lighter in color so that there's more contrast with the background (like the original images) and maybe slightly thicker so that it shows up in the scaled down version better.

I fully agree! I might also look at reducing the number of support beams when I thicken them up.

One thing I am considering is the scale. That agridome is something like 200 ft x 200 ft, and 110 ft tall. That's not too big is it? I suppose not if it "looks" okay.

As for 100 people in the tube section, would that be standing up or laying down?

Well, I did the calculation for a cross-tube setup. If the scale is such that the tubes are 80m long and 10m wide, I subtracted 10m out of the tube middle leaving 70m. If each person was allocated a 3m x 3m block of floor space, that would be enough room for a cot or sleeping bag and some basic personal possessions...which I imagine they would have few of right off the ship. Since the tube is 10m wide, you can fit one person on each side of the tube per 3m of length, and still have space down the middle to walk. This yields roughly 23 people per side of a tube, two sides to the tube, and two tubes. So that's around 90 people.

So that's about 90 people each having their own 10ft x 10ft space, which is pretty generous during an emergency situation but probably necessary to keep the peace. Reality is that's still barely half the folks, and I figure you probably need another 50% to 100% more space for things like supplies, bathrooms, eating/social areas.

Of course, the tubes aren't really shielded at all. So long term is a bad idea.

The other thought I had is if they have an actual building, a 3x3x3m room could probably bunk up to four people...meaning they would need 50 of these rooms. And again, double the space for things like supplies, bathrooms, etc... For a shielded building, that's roughly 30x30m and three stories tall. That's actually not too big considering the size of the tiles is 80x80m, but I just keep thinking "What would they need all that excessive space for when not in "emergency" mode." It's a huge resource expense that would go completely unused later. I could make up all kinds of rationale (they hide supplies and offices in there), but the command center runs later with 3 to 5 people. That's when I thought the tube rationale might be a good idea, because it seems less wasteful.

Which also made me think that a command center graphic that took up most of the tile space would be (like the agridome) a massive 200ft x 200ft.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking all of it and it's not that big of a deal...I'm rather analytical though, and irrational scale kinda messes with my head.  >:(

Theres a song on youtube, Dynatron-Propulsion Overdrive, that has a cover art, of either something inspired by Outpost 1, or is the cover art for Outpost 1, that you could grab some visual inspiration from:

That's totally the cover of the OP1 disc case, though I completely forgot about it. That's really good inspiration indeed. Looks futuristic but also very simple. That is, in fact, a bitchin' find.

Cheers

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2017, 11:08:08 PM »
Which also made me think that a command center graphic that took up most of the tile space would be (like the agridome) a massive 200ft x 200ft.

Well, the question then becomes how close to scale are those trees then? An Agridome needs to be able to supply a lot of food... so having a large footprint makes sense for such a building. You'd have the outer shell (visible portion) and then food storage facilities underneath.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking all of it and it's not that big of a deal...I'm rather analytical though, and irrational scale kinda messes with my head.  >:(

You are and aren't at the same time. I too don't like irrational scales but sometimes it's more about visual cues than perfect realism. One of the reasons Outpost sucked as hard as it did is the designers seemed to forget that it was a GAME and its primary goal was to provide entertainment. That something I don't want to forget with OutpostHD -- if the visuals look correct in terms of scale and proportion, then let's not overthink it too much and see how it goes from there. We can always reevaluate later.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2017, 11:17:24 PM »
Okay, somewhat off topic but since it was brought up (and supplies some good inspiration), here is the full cover. It's definitely the same as the video, except the video is a bit brighter and is missing the overlay graphics.

I'm sure this was available on the web somewhere, but it was more fun to actually pull out the real cover. So yeah, that's my copy... :)

Offline White Claw

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2017, 11:28:06 PM »
Well, the question then becomes how close to scale are those trees then?

I screwed up earlier and said that the agridome is 100 ft tall. It's actually only about 80 ft, making the tree around 60ish ft. "In scale" would really depend on the type of tree. It's too big for an apple tree, but about right for something like a large oak. I figured a fruit bearing tree would make sense, but I don't think fruit trees reach into the 60 ft range (though maybe I could blame the low gravity).

An Agridome needs to be able to supply a lot of food... so having a large footprint makes sense for such a building.

Yeah, that's my thought for an agridome as well. Gets harder when doing something like a command center. But still, I'm happy with the overall end result for the agridome. I don't mean to sound unhappy with the overall design. I do think it's worth reflecting on as I move to the next building to make sure it's on the right track.

...seemed to forget that it was a GAME and its primary goal was to provide entertainment.

Yes, I can fully agree with that.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2017, 12:19:59 AM »
It's too big for an apple tree, but about right for something like a large oak. I figured a fruit bearing tree would make sense, but I don't think fruit trees reach into the 60 ft range (though maybe I could blame the low gravity).

Or a genetically modified fruit tree. Even with modern technology it's not so far fetched.

Offline Goof

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2017, 05:56:17 PM »
Right now they are building farms in cities warehouse.
They do "vertical" farming.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_farming

Maybe a structure with some floors

Some sketches and designs

The last one is a project in Sweden

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2017, 08:20:18 PM »
Vertical farming and hydroponics would be a great research topic for better food production. The tower design linked probably wouldn't work well on a hostile planet but anything with a mars-like atmosphere would be fine in a glass shroud like deal with supplementary lighting (I see these things probably glowing brightly at night for maximum yield).

Offline White Claw

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2017, 11:37:29 PM »
Some in-game sized concept art to go along with the pictures above.

I'm not sure if the cooling tower looking one is quite the right look. Maybe if I were to make several towers instead of one really fat one.

Offline Goof

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2017, 04:53:22 AM »
Vertical farming and hydroponics would be a great research topic for better food production. The tower design linked probably wouldn't work well on a hostile planet but anything with a mars-like atmosphere would be fine in a glass shroud like deal with supplementary lighting (I see these things probably glowing brightly at night for maximum yield).

In some vertical farming they do not have direct sunlight.
They use LED lights with special wavelength to optimize the plant growth cycle.
They could also do a day of 22 hours and 2 hour of night at a certain development degree of the plant.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2017, 11:49:17 AM »
I'm really loving the look of the sphere like structure. The parabolic tower is cool too but you're right -- there's something a little off about it.

Dome looks pretty good in-game too:

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:56:08 AM by leeor_net »

Offline White Claw

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2017, 06:01:37 PM »
Here is the sphere, with some added details.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2017, 08:57:06 PM »

Higher resolution with some added details.

And with the light tower, and same light strength as previous.

And then again with the lighting less intense

(I've also attached the properly sized 128x128 pngs below.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:05:45 PM by White Claw »

Offline White Claw

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2017, 09:03:17 PM »
And just for fun, here's a night time version.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2017, 12:39:02 AM »
Some iterations on a construction site. I think the last one is in the right ballpark.

Also added a night version, just 'cause.

Offline lhark

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2017, 11:53:30 AM »
Wow, I like those a lot !

They have the feel of the old game, but better :)

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2017, 02:10:14 PM »
OPHD is getting the HD put in it. Good work
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2017, 05:17:01 PM »
OPHD is getting the HD put in it. Good work
Indeed

Good work

Offline White Claw

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2017, 04:48:21 PM »
Thanks fellas!

Here is my latest work. Was finally able to get something I was happier with for the command center. This is iteration #8.

I feel like it captures the old style reasonably well, but gets a bit of an update. I always thought the old command center was a bit bland. Though I suppose if it's the first building you have to plunk down, it makes sense. (I think you might be able to cram 200 people in there...)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:51:08 PM by White Claw »

Offline White Claw

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2017, 04:59:12 PM »
For some reason I started poking around in the OP1 graphics. I think there are a lot of other side graphics that could get updated also, and I might be able to manage most of them. So I thought I'd take a short side-split and give one of these others a try too.

So here's a before and after of one of the science pics.

Of course, the question remains...If we're trying to avoid any legalities here, I'm not sure where the line is. Would I need to make this more unique in some way?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 05:06:44 PM by White Claw »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2017, 05:13:24 PM »
Technically speaking, yes. ATM it's basically a clone. But, changing the camera angle, maybe having half of it skinned or giving it a blueprint look would make it unique.